mondix

Chikungunya! (Jamaica and Caribbean)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Can someone move this to Caribbean? Don't know how to post there specifically.

Anyway: traveling to Jamaica Friday and almost everyone I know there has it or has had it. Anyone been recently and avoided it? I was in Mo Bay in July and didn't wear bug spray at all - I forgot it which is unusual - and I ended up okay.

For this trip I have 3 bottles of deep woods Off - going to buy lots of destroyers when I reach.

They say it's the Mosquitos that are out early in the morning and before sunset that carry it, right?

Nervous but it will NOT stop me from seeing my honey!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi! I went last month in November to Ocho Rios. My boyfriend had recently got it, his brother and other family members. So I packed a big can of Off. Well, got there..totally forgot about the Off and even got bit by mosquitoes but totally avoided getting the Chik-V. I ended up leaving the Off bottle with his family.

I'm going back in February but I'm not too concerned. Take some Off and enjoy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Caribbean Regional forum from Off Topic~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I am from Dominican Republic, here we have chikunguya too, but i was using repelent all the time and i got it anyway, so enjoy.

Here at DR many people we dont belive that is a mosqithoes who transmit that, it is a virus that you get who knows how but you get it.

One thing is sure repelent can help you to avoid dengue another caribean virus transmit by mosquitos too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My husband had it and now I think I have it. My joints and hands are hurting me. The locals swear it isn't from the mosquitos and that it is airborne. Regardless, still use repellant to be save than sorry.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I there in October brought bug spray and didn't use it. I was in Mobay and Ochi. I never got it. Awhile after I left My fiancé did get it and was really sick for about a week with joint pain. Drank a lot of water and took some pain reliever. He's fine now.

Edited by LionessDeon

My husband had it and now I think I have it. My joints and hands are hurting me. The locals swear it isn't from the mosquitos and that it is airborne. Regardless, still use repellant to be save than sorry.

Yes, here in dominican Reoublic we dont belive that is a mosquitos, we think that is something at the evironement.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the DR about 5 times this year and around people who had it. Symptoms went from light to severe.

Meh, I try to avoid repellent anytime I can (hate the feel and smell) and have been OK.

If your immune system is OK it's nothing to worry about. If you do catch it, it'll last about a day or two.

And yea, the locals swear it's something the government did...including my fiance. I just stay quiet and don't say a word. lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.