DeadPoolX

Who here gets migraines?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I get them quite often as well. They are absolutely dreadful. I used to take regular pain killers, then I tried Excedrin Migraine which worked when the others stopped, but now those don't even work. I go through spells where I get them once or twice a day it seems for about a week or two. Probably about every month or two. When I get to the point where I know I shouldn't take anymore pain killers, I try a cup of tea which will sometimes work, too. If I had insurance I would surely go to the doctor about it.

I also get them when my blood sugar gets low because I'm hypoglycemic. They are no fun. I had one tonight come to think of it. First one in about a month. Took Advil liquid-gels. :)

Met online February 2006

Went to England on working visa June 2006

Sent off I-129F October 2006 <3 <3 <3

In England until visa expired December 2006

We leave England for a stateside Christmas December 17, 2006

Karl goes back to the UK January 7, 2007

I make a scene at the airport January 7, 2007

I head back to the UK to wait it out with him February 9, 2007

K-1 Journey

10-20-2006 Mailed I-129F

10-31-2006 NOA1

01-29-2007 NOA2 via e-mail!! Woo Hoo

01-30-2007 Touch

02-02-2007 NOA2 via snail mail

02-06-2007 NVC received case

02-07-2007 NVC fowarded case on to London

02-16-2007 Packet 3 received

02-19-2007 Packet 3 mailed out

02-21-2007 Packet 3 received at Embassy

03-01-2007 Packet 4 received

03-02-2007 Karl's medical

03-30-2007 Interview - Approved!!

05-01-2007 - Flying home to Chicago

My posts are purely opinion and should not be taken as legal advice... obviously :)

Deep tissue, trigger point massage therapy, ( I am a massage therapist ), especially on shoulders , neck and occipital ridge, chiropractic adjustments, Excedrin Migrane.

Low light, quiet room. Lots of water.

I get migraines. I use Excedrin for Migraines and the stuff is awesome! :thumbs:

Did you ever compare the ingredients list for Excedrin for Migraines with regular Excedrin? Same stuff. They just charge more.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

The caffiene is the 'special ingredient' in Excedrin but if you take it too much, your body gets used to the caffiene and it doesn't help anymore. You can actually get rebound headaches from this when you stop taking it.

When I try to keep my caffiene level down, then meds that have caffiene in them work better. The stuff I take now is equivalent to Tylenol 1... over the counter in Canada but not available here in the US w/o a script. It contains acetaminophen, codiene, and caffiene.

I'd heard a news report that taking Aleve (Naproxin Sodium) with Imitrex can help with the bouncebacks. That helps occasionally for me. I get the nausea and vomiting too... Phenergan works REALLY well for that but you need a script and it does make you sleepy.

Jen

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Has anyone ever tried acupuncture?

My gynecologist talked about it and recommended a clinic I could go to, but I haven't gotten around doing it yet.

Any experiences, does it help?

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Those "bouncebacks" are clinically referred to as "rebound."

I generally take Relpax and Ultracet together for my migraines. Unfortunately, last night, I had a really bad one, and I ended up vomiting. I know...some of you probably think this is most likely a case of TMI. But this is a thread about migraines, so i figured I'd go ahead and tell my story.

Interestingly enough, my father is a neurologist. That's a physician who specializes in the nervous system, brains and migraines. Because of him, I've been on all sorts of migraine medication in the past -- from oldies such as Midrin and Fioricet (anyone remember those besides me?) to newer drugs such as Imitrex, Zomig, Axcert, Relpax and others. I'm also on medication to prevent migraines (Zonegran), which usually does the trick. It won't stop all of the migraines, but it does prevent most of them. Before finding a good preventative, I was having migraines three or four times a week! :o

As a side-note, I hope none of you ladies who get migraines are also taking oral contraceptives. One of the warnings on "the pill" is that women who have migraines should not take it. Women who do have migraines and take it can get different problems, such as seizure or stroke. This doesn't mean all women who get migraines will have that if they take "the pill," it just means there's a very increased risk of it happening.

I wonder if (when?) they develop "the pill" for men, if migraines will play a role in that as well. Only time will tell...

My gynecologist talked about it and recommended a clinic I could go to, but I haven't gotten around doing it yet.

I have a girlfriend who suffered from them far worse than I with respect to frequency and severity.... she began acupuncture and cals it 'a miracle'....

Acupuncture is not covered under insurance, so I have not ventured into that realm yet....

Jen

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Those "bouncebacks" are clinically referred to as "rebound."

I generally take Relpax and Ultracet together for my migraines. Unfortunately, last night, I had a really bad one, and I ended up vomiting. I know...some of you probably think this is most likely a case of TMI. But this is a thread about migraines, so i figured I'd go ahead and tell my story.

Interestingly enough, my father is a neurologist. That's a physician who specializes in the nervous system, brains and migraines. Because of him, I've been on all sorts of migraine medication in the past -- from oldies such as Midrin and Fioricet (anyone remember those besides me?) to newer drugs such as Imitrex, Zomig, Axcert, Relpax and others. I'm also on medication to prevent migraines (Zonegran), which usually does the trick. It won't stop all of the migraines, but it does prevent most of them. Before finding a good preventative, I was having migraines three or four times a week! :o

As a side-note, I hope none of you ladies who get migraines are also taking oral contraceptives. One of the warnings on "the pill" is that women who have migraines should not take it. Women who do have migraines and take it can get different problems, such as seizure or stroke. This doesn't mean all women who get migraines will have that if they take "the pill," it just means there's a very increased risk of it happening.

I wonder if (when?) they develop "the pill" for men, if migraines will play a role in that as well. Only time will tell...

My 'hormone control' is in the form of a low dose birth control pill.... I take them for 16 weeks straight and then have an 'off' week. That has signifcantly helped my hormone-related migraine frequency. I no longer have a migraine every month that lasts for 5-7 days.... added bonus, no more menstruation.

There's an increased risk for stroke or heart attack for everyone who takes oral contraceptives.... just make sure that the doctor prescribing them also knows what meds you're taking for migraines. I'm not personally concerned at all.

Jen

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My 'hormone control' is in the form of a low dose birth control pill.... I take them for 16 weeks straight and then have an 'off' week. That has signifcantly helped my hormone-related migraine frequency. I no longer have a migraine every month that lasts for 5-7 days.... added bonus, no more menstruation.

There's an increased risk for stroke or heart attack for everyone who takes oral contraceptives.... just make sure that the doctor prescribing them also knows what meds you're taking for migraines. I'm not personally concerned at all.

Jen

I know that any woman on oral contraceptives has an increased risk of stroke, heart attack, etc., but there are factors that can even increase that risk. Smoking is one such factor. Migraines are another. Physicians (and even the directions on "the pill") will tell women that if they do either, they really shouldn't take "the pill."

Of course, each type differs and ultra low-dose and low-dose oral contraceptives are probably safer for women anyway. So if a woman is on one of those and suffers from migraines, chances are she is probably okay, so long as she tells the attending physician about her migraines and whatever medication she uses (like you said in your post, Jen).

Anyway...this thread isn't meant to start an argument about what may or may not happen due to migraine activity in regards to "the pill." I was just sharing some information that I had been told/read/heard. B)

I had a migraine yesterday, get them about once a month, and a woman at work mentioned that I should have some more potassium in my diet so I eat some cheese and a banana and I felt better.

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

Try prescribed Maxalt - gets rid of my migranes everytime. They are expensive tho.

A coworker had one just a few days ago I gave her one of my Maxalt and it immediately got rid of her migrane also.

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes!! I had horrible migranes very often for many years, I had regular acupuncture for about 2 years and now I only get one a few times a year. I would also go in when I had the migraine and the treatments would at first make them manageable and then eventually get rid of them all together. I have had other successes with acupuncture as well I think it is amazing!!! Well worth it and it does not hurt like you think it would acupuncture needles are very small barely noticeable.

I have had horrible migraines for years. After visting a few neurologists and trying all the triptans and some old preventatives I am now on Topomax and a combination of B12, B6 and magnesium in addition to a multivitamin and it has decreased my incidence of migraines significantly. I had tried just vitamins before and it didn't work and just Topomax and it didn't work but the two together are like magic! I still have breakthrough migraines premenstrually and take Excedrin Migraine if they are not too bad or Relpax (which I try to use sparingly because of the cost!!!) for the bad ones.

Filed: Other Timeline

I used to go for accupuncture when I had money and decent health insurance. It worked quite well for me actually, and I found it very relaxing.

Yes, I know Excedrine is all the same, whether you get the migraine formula or tension headache formula. They just started to label them that way in the past couple of years. Decades ago, it was just all Excedrine, in the green bottle.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I get cluster headaches, a type of migraine that only strikes about 2 or three times a year, but each cluster lasts 4-6 weeks. During a cluster I'll have some pain all the time and extreme pain at other times. I'm lucky though I don't get too nauseous, I can still eat as long as the food is very plain.

I have learned what my personal triggers are over the years and found I can avoid the really bad pain as long as I make sure I only experience 4 or 5 triggers at most. Different people are triggered by different things, not all the triggers can be controlled but if you can identify yours then you can begin to deal with them. I've learned not to get stressed by the stuff I can't do anything about.

EMOTIONAL STRESS

Anger

Worry

Tension

Excitement

Shock

Depression

The end of a stressful time or busy time

PHYSICAL STRESS

Over-exertion / tiredness (both physical and mental)

Change in sleep patterns (e.g. a lie-in at the weekend, shift work)

Bending or stooping (e.g. gardening, housework)

Changes in routine (e.g. a new job, going on holiday, a day off work)

Travelling

Tension in the neck and/or shoulders

DIET / FOOD

Lack of food or infrequent meals (fasting or dieting)

Foods containing monosodium glutamate, caffeine and tyramine

Certain specific foods like chocolate, citrus fruits, cheese.

Alcohol, especially red wine

Aspartame - an artificial sweetener

Additives in food

Dehydration

ENVIRONMENTAL

Bright light (e.g. supermarket lights, car headlamps)

Flickering or flashing lights (e.g. televisions, computer screens)

Loud noise, particularly with a high pitch)

Intense or penetrating smells

Change of climate or weather (e.g. humidity, cold winds)

Smoking

A stuffy atmosphere (e.g. central heating)

HORMONES

Menstruation and the pre-menstrual period

Puberty

Menopause

Taking the contraceptive pill

Hormone replacement therapy

Pregnancy - although 75% of mothers-to-be find their migraines cease in the later stages of

pregnancy

OTHER TRIGGERS

Use of sleeping tablets

High blood pressure

Toothache or other dental problems (e.g. teeth grinding)

Eye strain

Congested nose / sinus problems

Anything that causes pain or discomfort to the face, neck or head - even wearing an

unaccustomed hat

I've also learned to recognise some of the early warning signs that a migraine is on the way, sometimes if I act fast before the pain I can actually ward it off for a day or two. Lets me choose a more convenient time and place.
WARNING SIGNS

Although headache is the most obvious event during a migraine, some migraineurs start to

feel "strange" a day or so before the attack begins. These strange feelings, known as the

prodrome, are the first signs of the attack and can include:

cravings for certain foods, often sweet

excitability

hyperactivity

tiredness

yawning

a change of mood

These sorts of feelings may only be apparent after an attack; friends or relatives may be

more aware of these changes in your behaviour than you are at the time.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The caffiene is the 'special ingredient' in Excedrin but if you take it too much, your body gets used to the caffiene and it doesn't help anymore. You can actually get rebound headaches from this when you stop taking it.

When I try to keep my caffiene level down, then meds that have caffiene in them work better. The stuff I take now is equivalent to Tylenol 1... over the counter in Canada but not available here in the US w/o a script. It contains acetaminophen, codiene, and caffiene.

I'd heard a news report that taking Aleve (Naproxin Sodium) with Imitrex can help with the bouncebacks. That helps occasionally for me. I get the nausea and vomiting too... Phenergan works REALLY well for that but you need a script and it does make you sleepy.

Jen

I can't quite figure out why, when caffeine is a major trigger for migraines, it is in a migraine pain killer? Anyone?

My main trigger is orange juice/citrus fruits. My neurologist told me that I should cut out:

Cheese,

Caffeine,

Red Wine,

Tomatoes,

Chocolate,

Citrus fruits.

These are the main migraine triggers. Most patients who cut these out get an improvement in their symptoms within a month.