akdiver

Bush wants to raise fee to $905!!!!

86 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

jenn,

Note that the article specifically mentions raising the biometrics fee from $70 to $80.

Yodrak

The $905 will be for AOS only, not EAD/AP. The article says $905 up from $325. $325 is AOS only.

OMG... When? On 2009? Or did I misunderstand because of the shock??? WOW that's a HUGE increase....

They do say that they will eliminate "other fees" associated. I highly doubt that means AP and EAD though, since those are separate applications altogether. Maybe (*maybe*), they will include biometrics in the $905.

Edited by Yodrak

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, it's not George raising the fees, it's DHS. And if that includes biometrics and the EAD and AP fees, then it's not that much more. They could make it a real bargain by not charging to renew EAD and AP, which is what they morally should do, IMO.I'm gonna wait and see what you get before I get my panties bunched.
"The Bush administration" doesn't make a move without orders from Bush - that should be pretty clear to everyone by now. And no, it doesn't appear it will include EAD or AP. It does say " But the agency plans to eliminate other costs those legal residency applicants often pay while they are waiting for their permanent residency to be final" but it doesn't say what "other costs" they are talking about.
Whatcha gonna do about it anyway? Not file?
Doesn't affect me - my wife already has her PR card.
Note that the article specifically mentions raising the biometrics fee from $70 to $80.
Yeah, but it's only $10 - not much to write home about there.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Timeline

akdiver,

The point is, it's not one of the other costs that USCIS plans to eliminate in conjunction with raising the adjustment application fee.

Yodrak

Cheers!

AKDiver

I'm gonna wait and see what you get before I get my panties bunched. Whatcha gonna do about it anyway? Not file?

Good point :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Timeline
I'll agree that I'd like to see what gets included in the entire process for such a huge increase in cost. Although I'll admit, as someone who may be filing for AOS near that time period, I am not looking forward to dishing out that much extra money, especially as we weren't planning on getting an EAD or AP and thus weren't going to be paying for those fees.

I sat and thought about this a while and got to wondering something.

If someone files their I485, and is doing what the US Government AND John Q. Public wants them to do - ie be an immigrant with LEGAL status in this country - isn't it just the right thing to do to confer upon that applicant the ability to work and travel freely?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I'll agree that I'd like to see what gets included in the entire process for such a huge increase in cost. Although I'll admit, as someone who may be filing for AOS near that time period, I am not looking forward to dishing out that much extra money, especially as we weren't planning on getting an EAD or AP and thus weren't going to be paying for those fees.

I sat and thought about this a while and got to wondering something.

If someone files their I485, and is doing what the US Government AND John Q. Public wants them to do - ie be an immigrant with LEGAL status in this country - isn't it just the right thing to do to confer upon that applicant the ability to work and travel freely?

YES

IMO

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
akdiver,

The point is, it's not one of the other costs that USCIS plans to eliminate in conjunction with raising the adjustment application fee.

Yodrak

Cheers!

AKDiver

You're right. So I'm all out of ideas about what costs they're talking about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wonder if the related expenses may be referring to the application to remove conditions on conditional AOS recipients . . .it would be nice not to have to pay the additional fee after paying the AOS fee while those who don't have a conditional AOS have no additional fees.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I doubt this increase will actually make the service better.

I'm glad I already applied and I hope I'll be rich by the time I have to lift conditions. :P

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I wonder if the related expenses may be referring to the application to remove conditions on conditional AOS recipients . . .it would be nice not to have to pay the additional fee after paying the AOS fee while those who don't have a conditional AOS have no additional fees.

True, but at least at this point in most people's journeys they both are working and can at least afford the cost of removing conditions, etc. When it is right in the beginning (adjusting status) usually the intending immigrant isn't able to work and therefore it is not as affordable to pay this $905 cost at this time. Of course, we don't have much of a choice anyways. :wacko:

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Here's hoping I can get my fiance here and have a courthouse 'wedding' before October and save myself $600. :blink:

I hope we get more details about what is going to be combined in this $900 - or if its just the fee for the I 864 going up that much.

If there's NOT some kind of 'combining' (of EAD/AP), its going to be even more of a strain on couples who initially only have one income to afford it (not that you have much of a choice). May make some people reconsider what visa type they go for - so at least the foreign spouse can get here and have the ability to work right off the bat.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

I recently read a USCIS response to the ombudsman regarding service times. In it, they said that the plan was to automatically issue EAD/AP to those who wait more than 90 days for their green card interview. I imagine that people will no longer need to apply for these benefits and that they will be part of the whole $905.00 AOS fee.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

I recently read a USCIS response to the ombudsman regarding service times. In it, they said that the plan was to automatically issue EAD/AP to those who wait more than 90 days for their green card interview.

Except in obviously frivolous cases, those should be sent along with NOA1. I am allowed to dream, am I not? ;)

Bartek

Reading one of the PDFs about it on USCIS' site, it says the fee for I 129fs is proposed to go from $170 to $455. :blink::o

I'm glad I'm already in the system for $170, regardless of how much more AOS will cost me!

SA4userbar.jpg

Tried to edit my last reply but it was too late.

Ok, upon reading one of the PDFs about it on USCIS' site:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/ProposedRule.pdf

It says the fee for I 129fs is proposed to go from $170 to $455. :blink::o BUT apparently they will eliminate the fee for K3 associated I 129fs. Guess they have to make up the difference somewhere...!

Also, for AOS, it says it "eliminates separate fees for 'interim' benefits" - which they list as AP and EAD.

Basically, the current fees are $325 for AOS, $170 for EAD and $180 for AP, which totals $675. The proposal is to get all three for $905 going forward - an increase of $230. Still not chump change, but I suppose it could be worse.

Maybe someone else will give that PDF a read and see if I'm understanding it correctly.

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.