J&S - Michigan

Help! Received a CHECKLIST but all docs were included--how do I get the NVC to listen?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Can someone please help me? I've been waiting to hear back from the NVC following submission of my Affidavit of Support and IV supporting documents. I finally received an email from them today but it is a dreaded CHECKLIST! They said I need to include my W2s and proof of current employment. BUT that just proves they haven't read the information I sent at all!

So my question is-is there any advice as to how to get them to LISTEN to me when I call them tonight so as not to delay this process further? My situation, as briefly as I can explain it:

1) I have been living and working overseas (Australia) for 8 years, so I have no W2s! They should be able to clearly see that.
2) I am on maternity leave and included a special attachment to explain this, AND a letter from my employer to explain this. The letter from my employer stated the income level I earned there. It was signed by my employer and on company letterhead. I wanted to take the trouble of explaining about being on maternity leave, as I didn't like the tick boxes offered - "employed, unemployed, etc", I mean, being on maternity leave is not the same as being unemployed. Anyway, the job is here in Australia anyway, so the letter from my employer and attachment from me both state that as I am planning to relocate to the US as soon as possible and that I have already notified my boss that it is unlikely I will be returning to the job when my leave is up.
3) I can't understand why anything about my employment here (overseas) matters since I will be leaving that job to come to the US as soon as my husbands visa is approved anyway?
4) I got my parents to sign as joint sponsors and they make well above the poverty threshold. (I was advised to get them as sponsors when I told a lady at the NVC that I haven't worked in the US in over 8 years). Also my husband and I have saved a lot to facilitate the move, and have enough in savings to where we shouldn't have even needed a joint sponsor!

Is there any trick to getting them to listen? I feel like the person who answers my call at the NVC holds my whole future in their hands! I'm sorry if thus sounds dramatic, but I am just so upset by this whole process and am just SO over it. Will they make a big deal about me being on maternity leave and not working right now? Why should I go back to work and put my child in day care when we plan to relocate the whole family to the US as soon as possible? Any advice is very appreciated! At this point I just feel like this process is never going to end!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi!

First of all, deep breath!! This process is so frustrating and mind-boggling but you are almost to the end!

Secondly, I would call and tell them your story. If you don't get anywhere, kindly ask for a supervisor. They know a lot more and should be able to help you sort this out. Maybe you need to send in a bank statement from your savings account...you might want to suggest this to them and see what they think.

Good luck!

Timeline

Hi!

First of all, deep breath!! This process is so frustrating and mind-boggling but you are almost to the end!

Secondly, I would call and tell them your story. If you don't get anywhere, kindly ask for a supervisor. They know a lot more and should be able to help you sort this out. Maybe you need to send in a bank statement from your savings account...you might want to suggest this to them and see what they think.

Good luck!

Thanks FH - I appreciate the advice. I know I just need to calm to down...it's so hard being so close to the end! I was so sure I'd hear about my interview any day and then heard this instead! It really helps hearing from people who have been through it though, so thanks :)

I did include a copy of my bank statement. I don't even know if they looked at everything though. I'll definitely ask to speak to a supervisor.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

To simplify this even further, you don't NEED to submit W2's. Being a USC you still filed your US taxes based on your overseas income right? As USC's we are taxed on all income earned worldwide but we have a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for some countries and are not subject to double taxation so the filing is merely a paperwork formality at minimum. So you should have 3 years worth of tax transcripts available. If you did not file then you have technically broken the law and will get called on that later.

If you are on Maternity leave then you are currently employed. That is your status and there is no reason to go any further into it unless queried.

Edited by RaginKhmer

Timeline

To simplify this even further, you don't NEED to submit W2's. Being a USC you still filed your US taxes based on your overseas income right? As USC's we are taxed on all income earned worldwide but we have a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for some countries and are not subject to double taxation so the filing is merely a paperwork formality at minimum. So you should have 3 years worth of tax transcripts available. If you did not file then you have technically broken the law and will get called on that later.

If you are on Maternity leave then you are currently employed. That is your status and there is no reason to go any further into it unless queried.

Yes, I've filed taxes every year and included my 2013 return.

Timeline

Yes, if you have an issue and you need to resubmit documents for the AOS, I would just go here -

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

- and print off a transcript from 2013 and forget about the W2 stuff. You only need to show a transcript from the last year.

Did you call last night? Did you get anywhere? I got a checklist too, which set us back another 60 days. So frustrating. However now we are just waiting for our interview date so there is light at the end of this dark, never-ending tunnel! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I received a checklist around 1am last night. We both jumped out of bed only to realize that our plans for the following year are shattered. I don't quite undertsand what went wrong but will need to thoroughly go through the pdf file once Im done with work today.

I definitely did not get any sleep because of this.

Edited by donnieace

Yes, I've filed taxes every year and included my 2013 return.

After reading a lot on this forum I would advise that given you are/have only earned foreign income, you should put your earnings as $0. I also have only worked in AU, so do not have any W2's- so best to use a transcript rather than a return like I did. They are easy to download off the IRS website or have them mailed to you. Your joint sponsors and savings assets should be more than sufficient once you explain to a supervisor...

Did they have any issue with your domicile?

I-130 Sent : 2014-08-22
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-09-02
I-130 NOA2: 2014-09-20 :dancing:
NVC Received: 2014-10-08
Case Number and IIN Assigned: 2014-10-30
Received AOS Bill: 2014-10-30
Pay AOS Bill: 2014-10-30
Submit DS-261: 2014-10-29
Submit AOS & IV Documents: 2014-11-26 -- 60 day countdown is on!
DS-261 Reviewed: 2014-11-19 (called NVC)
Received IV Bill: 2014-12-05
Pay IV Bill: 2014-12-05
Submit DS-260: 2014-12-07
Case Complete: :clock:
Interview:
Move to Chicago: 2015-01-24 - Hopefully not without my beneficiary husband!!
rn63b28ts.png

Timeline

I received a checklist around 1am last night. We both jumped out of bed only to realize that our plans for the following year are shattered. I don't quite undertsand what went wrong but will need to thoroughly go through the pdf file once Im done with work today.

I definitely did not get any sleep because of this.

I feel your pain! It is just so upsetting :( I received the email when I was starting to recover from gastro--me, hubby and baby had all been sick. It definitely hasn't been a good week!

Yes, if you have an issue and you need to resubmit documents for the AOS, I would just go here -

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

- and print off a transcript from 2013 and forget about the W2 stuff. You only need to show a transcript from the last year.

Did you call last night? Did you get anywhere? I got a checklist too, which set us back another 60 days. So frustrating. However now we are just waiting for our interview date so there is light at the end of this dark, never-ending tunnel! :)

I did call I spoke to someone who is going to look at my file and call me back. So I am just praying she will decide to let me go on to the interview. Now I'm worried my taxes could have been the problem as I filed an amended return. I can explain all of it and show all the docs...I just don't want to be set back 60+ days! Thanks for your advice.

Timeline

After reading a lot on this forum I would advise that given you are/have only earned foreign income, you should put your earnings as $0. I also have only worked in AU, so do not have any W2's- so best to use a transcript rather than a return like I did. They are easy to download off the IRS website or have them mailed to you. Your joint sponsors and savings assets should be more than sufficient once you explain to a supervisor...

Did they have any issue with your domicile?

They didn't say anything about domicile yet. There shouldn't be any problem with that. I gave a lot to back myself up there.

My fingers are crossed the lady I spoke with can help me out.

Timeline

I feel your pain! It is just so upsetting :( I received the email when I was starting to recover from gastro--me, hubby and baby had all been sick. It definitely hasn't been a good week!

I did call I spoke to someone who is going to look at my file and call me back. So I am just praying she will decide to let me go on to the interview. Now I'm worried my taxes could have been the problem as I filed an amended return. I can explain all of it and show all the docs...I just don't want to be set back 60+ days! Thanks for your advice.

Well I'm glad you were able to talk to someone who *hopefully* can help you out!! Best of luck and keep pressuring them on the phone if things don't happen quickly enough!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.