Iml3g3nd

US Citizen wants to Immigrate Parents to US

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I have become US citizen earlier this year. My parents have earlier tried twice to visit me and my wife here but they were denied tourist visa both times. Now as I am citizen so only way I see for them to visit us is after they get Green Card and immigrate. So I wanted to file papers for this. But I would like to know how this works out.

1. From what I understand is I would file I-130 but what happens after that?
  2. I need to see some sort of flow chart or if someone can describe the steps that we need to go through to make it possible.
  3. What are required income guidelines to sponsor my both parents?
  4. I am between jobs, my new job is about to start in first week of December. So I was wondering at what point during this process, we need to submit a affidavit of support showing my income?
  5. How can I make sure they both are through this whole process together? I want them to go to embassy together and then travel together.

Edited by Iml3g3nd

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-03-12 - I-130 Approved
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill
2009-09-30 - Case Completed at NVC
2009-10-14 - Packet 4 Received
2009-11-16 - Interview Date

Interview Result - Approved
2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office - Vermont Service Center
Date Filed - 2011-10-08
Date Approved - 2012-07-30
Green card received - 2012-08-01

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview

It will take a few years though. So file ASAP.

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview

It will take a few years though. So file ASAP.

Thank link has very small amount of info. Does not answer any questions I have. Thank you though.

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill

2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed - 2011-10-08

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Timeline

There is a link in the text that gives you all the details, did you click that?

• Want to transfer money from abroad to a US account? Or do you want to transfer money from your US account to your foreign loved one? Use TransferWise for rates MUCH lower than banks! Click HERE to TRANSFER MONEY internationally CHEAP!
  • You have some bad remarks on your credit report, and want to clean it up by the time your loved one comes to the US? Use a reputable Credit Repair company. Fortress Credit Pro has a money back guarantee AND only charges you for entries that are actually removed! Click here to enroll for Credit Repair

(Disclosure: The links to TransferWise and FortressPro are affiliate links, and their use can accumulate in benefits for me. Using the links does offer a discount to you by using them over enrolling through the main website, unless any promotions are run by the company)

Timeline

There is a link in the text that gives you all the details, did you click that?

Do you mean this link http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents?

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill

2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed - 2011-10-08

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do your parents want to live in the US?

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

That's the one.

1. What are required income guidelines to sponsor my both parents?
  2. I am between jobs, my new job is about to start in first week of December. So I was wondering at what point during this process, we need to submit a affidavit of support showing my income?
  3. How can I make sure they both are through this whole process together? I want them to go to embassy together and then travel together.

1. Calculate your total family size, you then need to make 125% of the federal povery guideline limit for that family size

2. Once your visa bulletin becomes current, it will be processed by USCIS first, which takes about 6-odd months. After that, it's NVC time where you submit your AoS documents

3. File everything the same time. Sometimes there are a few weeks in between approvals if one of the documents for a person is not there or unclear, but you can play a bit with departure date, and ask for the interview to be postponed, explaining that you need them to travel together.

Timeline

Do your parents want to live in the US?

Not really. Maybe sometime in future but for now they just want to visit us. Thats why we tried tourist visas for them twice before but idiots at embassy rejected them both the times. So that was quite disappointing and disheartening as we had bought our first home here and I wanted them to come and see it and then live with us for a month or so, wanted to show them USA.

Finally after becoming citizen I decided, I wont take chances with tourist visa roulette and instead will go with immigration visa.

That's the one.

1. What are required income guidelines to sponsor my both parents?
  2. I am between jobs, my new job is about to start in first week of December. So I was wondering at what point during this process, we need to submit a affidavit of support showing my income?
  3. How can I make sure they both are through this whole process together? I want them to go to embassy together and then travel together.

1. Calculate your total family size, you then need to make 125% of the federal povery guideline limit for that family size

2. Once your visa bulletin becomes current, it will be processed by USCIS first, which takes about 6-odd months. After that, it's NVC time where you submit your AoS documents

3. File everything the same time. Sometimes there are a few weeks in between approvals if one of the documents for a person is not there or unclear, but you can play a bit with departure date, and ask for the interview to be postponed, explaining that you need them to travel together.

Its me and my wife, no children, so our family size becomes 2, right? So I would submit affidavit of support somewhere around 6 months down the line after applying? And income we should be concerned about is for next 6 months or so? or would it take into affect, what we made this year also?

Edited by Iml3g3nd

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill

2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed - 2011-10-08

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not really. Maybe sometime in future but for now they just want to visit us. Thats why we tried tourist visas for them twice before but idiots at embassy rejected them both the times. So that was quite disappointing and disheartening as we had bought our first home here and I wanted them to come and see it and then live with us for a month or so, wanted to show them USA.

Finally after becoming citizen I decided, I wont take chances with tourist visa roulette and instead will go with immigration visa.

It's a stupid messed up system which stops some family members of US Cits from getting tourist visas but it wasn't the fault of any 'idiots' at the embassy, they just do their job following the rules they have to follow.

But a green card isn't for visiting, your parents will probably lose it unless they spend the majority of their time in the States.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Its me and my wife, no children, so our family size becomes 2, right? So I would submit affidavit of support somewhere around 6 months down the line after applying? And income we should be concerned about is for next 6 months or so? or would it take into affect, what we made this year also?

No, it is a good 6 months after your case number gets current. That can take a few years.

So you send in all the info, and you get a case number. Then you watch the visa bulletins for the next few years, and as soon as it becomes current, they process it and the timer starts.

But as you said, if they do not want to live in the US, don't bother with the immigrant visa. They will lose their greencard if they don't spend enough time in the US.

Timeline

It's a stupid messed up system which stops some family members of US Cits from getting tourist visas but it wasn't the fault of any 'idiots' at the embassy, they just do their job following the rules they have to follow.

But a green card isn't for visiting, your parents will probably lose it unless they spend the majority of their time in the States.

They might be following rules, but tourist visas are still at their discretion and I did not understand why would they deny that to my parents. They did not give any proper reason for denial. Also if you think about it, denying tourist visa to them meant that we now have to get them here on a GC and then see what to do so they can keep on visiting us when needed and not to be dependent upon mercy of a bureaucrat. This is only solution that makes any sense to me. On subject of keeping their GC valid, will cross that bridge when it comes to it. But I just want a way to have my parents visit us when they want to. And only way is this.

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill

2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed - 2011-10-08

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Timeline

No, it is a good 6 months after your case number gets current. That can take a few years.

So you send in all the info, and you get a case number. Then you watch the visa bulletins for the next few years, and as soon as it becomes current, they process it and the timer starts.

But as you said, if they do not want to live in the US, don't bother with the immigrant visa. They will lose their greencard if they don't spend enough time in the US.

Since when parents immigration takes years? It does not. It would take around a year as I know. Where you get the info that for parents, it would take few years, maybe you are confusing it with sibling immigration?

They would eventually live in US in future,if not now.

IR-1/CR-1

2008-12-24 - Marriage
2009-05-29 - Pay IV Bill

2010-01-09 - US Entry
Port of Entry - JFK

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed - 2011-10-08

Citizenship

N400 filled - 2013-08-09
NOA - 2013-08-12
Biometrics -2013-09-05

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The officers at the embassy are idiots. Decisions are arbitrary at best.

Edited by msbau764

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Timeline

Very EASY for you to say. Your parents or your spouse's parents can buy a ticket and be in the US. The system leaves her no choice.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

Timeline

As I mentioned earlier, it is so easy for a european to tell someone else not to bother bringing their parents to the US on a greencard. Your families can come and go as they please. It is very painful when one's parents are treated like animals and not allowed to enter the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.