NicoleAhmed

I-864 help needed please

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding the I-864 form and requirements.

So little backstory. I'm the USC. My husband is the foreign spouse. We have 3 children together, all USC born abroad. We want to move back to the US. I'd like to know now that I understand how the requirements work thanks to some very helpful people on VJ --- that I don't have to prove income for my USC children only my foreign husband, the only person I'll be filing for. My co-sponsor due to the number of dependents+ my husband falls short of the income requirements. i don't have any assets, and I don't have anyone else lined up to co-sponsor. So my questions are now ...

1) If I return to the US, find a job and work ... how long would I have to prove income before being able to file without a co-sponsor? I've been out of the States for about 10 years with no income.

2) If I return to the US, work and my children return with their father abroad, will my household be 2 (me and my husband) or do I have to add my children also, even if I'm not filing for them? Or will it be either way 5 (me, my husband and our 3 children)?

3) Can I have 2 co-sponsors when filing?

Sorry if I'm complicating things ... just trying to figure out how to get this part of the petition done. Thank you and good luck everyone!

**USC Filing Abroad**

Married: Sept 5, 2004

? I -130 sent

? NOA1
? NOA2

Still working on our file ...

The place to ask this question is on the November NVC thread. Someone over there will know the answers to your questions.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

1) I'd rather someone else answer that for you...I'm unaware of those requirements.

2) There's a box on the I-864 to be checked when counting how many are in the household and it asks if you have any dependent children, so you'd have to enter 3 in that box and then include yourself and your husband for a total of 5. That's also if you're not filing for the kids. (Box is in the zone for "persons not being sponsored")

3) Yes, there's a box on the very first question of the I-864 that says "I am the (first)/(second) of two joint sponsors". If they live in the same household and wish to combine incomes together then one will file a separate I-864 as "I am the only joint sponsor" and his/her household member will file an I-864a - contract between sponsor (meaning joint sponsor) and household member.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Your children are USC so they do not require sponsorship but they do count in your household size. So for you the household size for the affidavit of support would be five, you, spouse, 3 children. If someone else helps sponsor, your I-864 would be a household of five with your income, presumably zero right now, their I-864 would be that person, anyone in their household, plus your spouse; your children in not included since they are USCs.

No matter where the children are you are presumed to be supporting them so they will be included in your household size; so your household size will always be you, spouse, children (until they turn 18 or 21).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.***

**Moderator hat off**

1) If I return to the US, find a job and work ... how long would I have to prove income before being able to file without a co-sponsor? I've been out of the States for about 10 years with no income.

2) If I return to the US, work and my children return with their father abroad, will my household be 2 (me and my husband) or do I have to add my children also, even if I'm not filing for them? Or will it be either way 5 (me, my husband and our 3 children)?

3) Can I have 2 co-sponsors when filing?

Before I get to the answers, I'll get the semantics out of the way first. When referencing an I-864, joint sponsor is the proper term, not co-sponsor.

Answers:

• There is no set timeframe; however, the less time you've been on the job, the greater the chance a joint sponsor will be required.
  • Children are included in your household count.
  • No
Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.