Umka36

Why are Asian students suing Harvard, UNC for affirmative action policies? [merged]

33 posts in this topic

They should apply to the University of Lost Caucasians amongst Asians.

Back to the produce aisle with you Jacque!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I don't know why it won't change in my avatar, oh well.

needs about 3 days for this portal to implement the change all over. no, don't ask me why, i not know.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

needs about 3 days for this portal to implement the change all over. no, don't ask me why, i not know.

Thanks D! Based on my previous track record with computer stuff, I was thinkin it was me. Stiil could be me, but you gave me hope.

All the mind numbing Political correct hoarse doo doo is making my Brain tickle.

How can we ever have a color blind society when we continue to race engineer everything and select a student body using race as one of the criteria. Sorry Jimmy I know you scored higher, graduated higher and what not, than Tommy the black dude over here, but he is at the top of the black applicants so sorry.

Really ? You are wheeled into the ER after a bad wreck on the verge of death. do you want the smartest doctors and nurses are do you want them to make sure they assign your potential lifesavers based on Race?

How about sports. I noticed my beloved GA Bulldogs defense is just a tad under represented when it comes to white people. To create a "better more nurturing environment" should we not

make sure at least half the players are white. I mean Swan can burn a 4.47 4o has a 40 inch vertical leap and can squat 550 lbs.. That's great but wouldn't the team benefit from some diversity. why not play that white kid that is fast but nearly as fast as Swan?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Harvard is a private school (or at least it was when I first applied last century)

so they not have to immediately enact Federal Laws about race-equality in their student populations.

With that said, however, Harvard does have a big problem, now that there's a lawsuit, and it'll force the Board to actually implement changes this decade. Bad for them? Don't care. They should have changed this stuff up in 90s and didn't.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

All the mind numbing Political correct hoarse doo doo is making my Brain tickle.

How can we ever have a color blind society when we continue to race engineer everything and select a student body using race as one of the criteria. Sorry Jimmy I know you scored higher, graduated higher and what not, than Tommy the black dude over here, but he is at the top of the black applicants so sorry.

Really ? You are wheeled into the ER after a bad wreck on the verge of death. do you want the smartest doctors and nurses are do you want them to make sure they assign your potential lifesavers based on Race?

How about sports. I noticed my beloved GA Bulldogs defense is just a tad under represented when it comes to white people. To create a "better more nurturing environment" should we not

make sure at least half the players are white. I mean Swan can burn a 4.47 4o has a 40 inch vertical leap and can squat 550 lbs.. That's great but wouldn't the team benefit from some diversity. why not play that white kid that is fast but nearly as fast as Swan?

Because there is no way Tommy could possibly compete with all of the applicants who applied. :shocked: He could only make it to the top of the "colored" applicants. :rolleyes:

Boy boy boy :no:

Because there is no way Tommy could possibly compete with all of the applicants who applied. :shocked: He could only make it to the top of the "colored" applicants. :rolleyes:

Boy boy boy :no:

Well Janelle I agree with you. That is absurd right. However that is exactly what quotas are.

I agree with you 100% Tommy the black dude should compete head to head with all the other applicants, he is only competing against the slots set aside for blacks. Hence the law suit

I agree it is racist as Hades.

Well Janelle I agree with you. That is absurd right. However that is exactly what quotas are.

I agree with you 100% Tommy the black dude should compete head to head with all the other applicants, he is only competing against the slots set aside for blacks. Hence the law suit

I agree it is racist as Hades.

It is racist when people are not able to obtain the same level of education. When will you address this issue?

It is racist when people are not able to obtain the same level of education. When will you address this issue?

No

LOL

I guess. Now that is a very complicated issue. economic reasons, past oppression, kids born to poor drug infested inner city neighborhoods.

The opportunity is there. Getting them to take or having the right environment to take it is another.

Concert for Valor on HBO. A decorated Lt. col went back into the inner city to work with kids. Got some poor inner city kid turned around and into west Point. I am a big sap. Stuff like that always makes me cry

Edited by The Nature Boy

Harvard is a private school (or at least it was when I first applied last century)

so they not have to immediately enact Federal Laws about race-equality in their student populations.

With that said, however, Harvard does have a big problem, now that there's a lawsuit, and it'll force the Board to actually implement changes this decade. Bad for them? Don't care. They should have changed this stuff up in 90s and didn't.

I have a feeling that had you attended Harvard, Cambridge/Boston would not be the same. :lol:

I went to one of the so-called "Ancient 8." The balancing tests admissions committees do when choosing to admit students do not focus merely on academics -- to do so would be to reduce the process to a zero-sum game. Applicants, at least at my alma mater, are looked at holistically for what they will bring to the university community. (I do interviewing for prospective students, so I've had a little guidance.) They want a balance of athletes and mathematicians and flautists and photographers and poets and biologists and philosophers and plain old weirdos. It isn't even necessarily about the number of outside interests one has in terms of extracurriculars, but the depth of interest, experience and commitment. The committee wants to see people who have faced challenges and overcome them, taken strange routes to success. They want to see grit, humor, passion, humanity, and a dedication to making the world a better place. There are students of all races who fit that description.

Prospective students can have perfect scores and perfect GPAs, but if they're not a fit culturally, they won't get in. Sure, having fantastic scores is an important factor -- you're not getting in with a B average. But believe me, my campus is still overwhelmingly white and Asian (and has more Asian undergrads than Latino and black undergrads combined). This gripe stings of sour grapes, and a fundamental misunderstanding about what it actually takes to get into a school like Harvard. And as Darnell points out, Harvard is a private institution, and not only that, one with nearly unfeasibly deep pockets. It can do what it wants because it is Harvard.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing new.

Look up Chinese exclusion act etc etc

There is a Town near me that as part of its founding articles banned Chinese and Italians.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”