howjltx

Travel to Canada with foreign passport and Advance Parole

6 posts in this topic

Contacted Canadian Boarder and they whould not give a definite answer on allowing my wife to travel with me into Canada for a few weeks visiting friends there. She has Ukraine passport and a valid combination Advance Parole with Employment authorization. They stated it depends on the Canadian border agent that checks us when we cross. Anyone had any experience or problems doeing this?

You can travel to Canada with any passport, the AP is used to re-enter the United States. Canadian border agent will not need to see AP.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

U.S. LPRs can visit Canada without a visa but in the case of your wife, Ukranians need a visa to visit the country and she is not yet a green card holder. If you live close enough to the border you could try since I suppose it is a matter of the border guard's personal discretion, but I doubt it would work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Canada

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It doesn't sound like she is a LPR (does not yet have a I-551 "Green Card"), or she would likely not be asking about using a EAD/AP combo card. The Canadian visitor visa may be necessary depending on her native country. The EAD/AP will be necessary for her re-entry into the US.

Here is the Canadian Immigration link for inquiries about visas:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Found through a Google search. Google can also be your friend. :yes:

OP: :time: It helps everyone that uses or is helped by the forum.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Contacted Canadian Boarder and they whould not give a definite answer on allowing my wife to travel with me into Canada for a few weeks visiting friends there. She has Ukraine passport and a valid combination Advance Parole with Employment authorization. They stated it depends on the Canadian border agent that checks us when we cross. Anyone had any experience or problems doeing this?

HI,

I know this is from 2 years ago, but I am in a similar situation right now. I wanted to know if your wife ever did make the trip to Canada and if so, how was her re-entry experience with the AP? I have a similar situation.

Thanks!

Sept 9 2016: AOS mailed (485, 131, 765)

Sept 19th : Received at lockbox [Day 0]

Sept 27th : Text message notification from USCIS & Fingerprint Fee received [Day 8]

October 3rd : NOA1 hardcopy for all 3 forms [Day 14]

October 6th : Biometrics letter received [Day 17]

October 20th: Biometrics appointment completed [Day 31]

November 30th: Forms 131 and 765 approved [Day 72]

December 3rd: EAD/AP card received in mail [Day 75]

Technically as a Ukrainian you need a visa to go to Canada:

http://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/ukraine/english/index.html

We did go there with a backup plan which was to fly to the nearest large city (Seattle for Vancouver), rent a car and drive up to Canada just in case she was denied entry.

Two years ago they did allow my wife to go with me with no visa but only because I took all our immigration paper work and marriage licence with us; however they did not have to let us in so that would be the risk you have to take. Would they do this again after the incidences of terrorist being caught with bombs in the trunk of their car crossing the US/Canada border on a ferry? I would think they will not do this anymore

you also need to be concerned with returning to the USA, make sure you have a valid entry visa, you do not want to be denied re-entry into the USA then get deported by Canada back to Ukraine,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.