maddiienz

Visitor visa and K-1

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've recently become engaed to my partner and he lives in Baton Rouge, La.

We are wanting to settle over there and are planning an April 2015 wedding there,

My question is, can I come over on a visitor visa and then after 90 days change to a K-1 visa?

Or will we need to get married in a courthouse to fulfill the requirements of the K-1 then have our ceremony with friends and family in April?

Thanks in advance!

Maddiie :)

P.S. I'm from New Zealand!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

No, you do not change to a k-1. K-1's are a 6-12 month process that involves petitioning and applying from your home country. Unmarried. As well, obtaining a visitors' visa with intent to marry and adjust is considered visa fraud. You can marry where you are and he files a cr-1 to being you to the USA. It'll take about a year.

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Visa is a document used to gain entry to a country.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your plan of an April wedding may be stretching the K-1 processing times. Although the K-1s are quicker than a spousal visa, I would not make April plans for a wedding on a K-1 visa.

You cannot change to a K-1 when you enter the US as a tourist. Nor can you adjust status if you intended to arrive in the US as a tourist ans stay.

I think you need to read the 'guides' at the top of the page and start researching this process

congrats on your engagement

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

To give you a rough estimate based on our experience, it was 8 months to the day that we got our K1 interview from filling the I-129F.

Keep in mind that the K1 Visa requires that you and your partner have met at least once within the last 2 years. You must also be unmarried at the time that you enter the US... In other words, do not apply for the K1 Visa if you intend 100% to get married in April... If you file and get married, you will no longer qualify to use the K1.

There are a few options for you:

1. Apply for the K1 Fiance(e) visa and get married in the US. You'r chances of getting this done by April are slim though.
  2. Get married in New Zealand in April and apply for a Spousal Visa (CR1).
  3. And here is where things get sketchy... You could come in under the Visa Waiver Program and get married *BUT* You must return to New Zealand and apply for a CR1 Visa. (This is not suggested as its a much more complicated process).

I strongly suggest you forget about an April wedding and go through the K1 visa process... It is a much cleaner route.

Hope this helps, and congrats on your engagement!

Timeline

Does this all mean that I need to stay in NZ until my spouse visa has been approved?

Sorry - this process is truly confusing the bejeezes outta me!

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

Does this all mean that I need to stay in NZ until my spouse visa has been approved?

Sorry - this process is truly confusing the bejeezes outta me!

Thanks!

Apply for K-1 and apply for Visitor Visa - they are 2 different type of Visas. However, some C.Offices may deny Visitor Visa when there is another type of Visa in process (high fraud countries).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP is from New Zealand. Do not apply for a visitor visa. Use the VWP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does this all mean that I need to stay in NZ until my spouse visa has been approved...

Here's the deal:

1. You can come to the USA under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), no tourist visa (B2) required. You can then get married in April in the USA, but you must then return home, and file for a spousal visa. Once you apply for the spousal visa, you must stay in your home country until you are awarded the spousal visa. During this time, however, your fiancee can visit you and you can also get remarried in New Zealand for your family and friends. The spousal visa process takes about 12-14 months but you are given a green card in under a month after entering the USA.

or

2. Enter the USA on your VWP, enjoy some time together and return home. Your fiancee then applies for a 129F fiance visa. During that time you could still try to enter the USA under VWP until the K-1 is approved, but you cannot get married. You must wait until the K-1 is approved, at which time you can enter the USA to be married. This process takes about 4-8 months, but could take up to a year depending on the Visa Service Center where your application resides.

or

3. Get married in your home country and then apply for the spousal visa, wait the 12-14 months and re-marry in the USA. :)

You are free to visit using the VWP whilst the K1 petition is on-going :)

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.