pepper297

Help With Tourist Visa Denial Costa Rica US Embassy

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My sister in law was denied for a tourist visa today.

I have read on the US Embassy website for Costa Rica that there is no way to appeal the decision.

I understand that the applicant must prove strong binding ties to his/her country. What pisses me off is that the officer that interviewed her did not even give her an opportunity to do so. He asked her for a certain insurance paper which she didn't bring although she had something similar. At that point he ended the interview and wouldn't let her speak another word. Now, as you know there is not a list of things to bring to prove that you have ties to your country so she guessed at what to bring and brought a ton of supporting evidence. She owns her own property and house. She has been at the same company with a good job for over six years. She has a young son. She has continual Costa Rica insurance. All of her family with the exception of me and her brother are in Costa Rica. She only wanted to visit for a few weeks next Spring. He wouldn't even look at any of the evidence proving her ties to the country. The "interview" was less than 30 seconds long.

I know that a letter from us will not help because the burden of proof lies on her but I am one pissed off US citizen and I want to know if there is a place or person that I can write or call for how my family member was treated. I understand that she isn't a citizen.... and maybe some officers think it is ok that they can treat people like that but IT IS NOT.

What is the chain of command. Do they even care? I know at the airport customs they have all these signs up at POE about how those workers are the face and first impression of america. Does this not carry over to the embassy?

Please help. I would understand if she had no evidence and she was just rolling the dice but that is not the case.

I129F SENT: 12-24-2013

TEXAS SERVICE CENTER

NOA1: 01-02-2014

NOA2: 05-14-2014

NVC received and assigned case #: 5-29-2014

Left NVC: 06-04-2014

Interview Scheduled: 6-24-2014 SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! :dancing::star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I'm not sure about the 'treatment' of the applicant. Your sister is not entitled to a visa, nor should she expect to be treated with roses and bells. All she can do is submit what she has and attend the interview.

You don't really give a description of bad conduct on the part of the consular officer aside from denying the visa.

Most interview outcomes are pre-decided. There is something in your sister's application that raised a flag, and that could be as simple as having a USC sibling because that is considered a tie to the US - when she needs to show ties to Costa Rica.

I'm sorry your sister was not issued a visa. Could you give us more details of the bad treatment she received? Was she berated in public? Did someone try to defraud her or trick her in some way?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I guess I'm not sure about the 'treatment' of the applicant. Your sister is not entitled to a visa, nor should she expect to be treated with roses and bells. All she can do is submit what she has and attend the interview.

You don't really give a description of bad conduct on the part of the consular officer aside from denying the visa.

Most interview outcomes are pre-decided. There is something in your sister's application that raised a flag, and that could be as simple as having a USC sibling because that is considered a tie to the US - when she needs to show ties to Costa Rica.

I'm sorry your sister was not issued a visa. Could you give us more details of the bad treatment she received? Was she berated in public? Did someone try to defraud her or trick her in some way?

good luck

I have read that having a family member in the US can be a negative mark against a tourist visa applicant. I am the USC. My husband is her brother. However, lots of people that have tourist visas have a family member in the US.

I don't have more information other than what I have written. The interviewing officer didn't even look at her ties to Costa Rica. He didn't look at any of the documents she brought. Not the long term job, not the house ownership, not anything. She is very tied to Costa Rica. The only tie to the US is me and her husband.

I guess the way that I am feeling right now is that the process seems to be a racket that just steals people's money. He never even looked at her papers she brought. No wonder some people think of the US government with such negativity. I honestly cannot think of anything that would be a possible red flag other than the fact that she has one family member here. But seriously..... once he is a citizen we could always petition for family.... why would a person even bother to be deceitful with a tourist visa? Either way, she has no plans or desire to be here on anything but a vacation visit.

A life where my husband's family doesn't have the ability to EVER travel to see us, whether for just a visit or the birth of our children, death of one of my family members here, or anything, terrifies me.

Whenever I used to hear the term "immigration" or "immigration overhaul", I had a waaaaaaay different picture that would pop into my head... something that only applied to illegal immigrants. The more experience I get with the US immigration system, the more I see a dire need for overhaul.

Obviously she will try again. Part of what made things easier for my husband to move away from all of his family and his home country was the idea that they may be able to visit. I can't imagine us moving to Costa Rica and my parents or sister not being able to come visit.

Have you had this experience or are you commenting based off of things you have read?

Thank you!

TEXAS SERVICE CENTER

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

why would a person even bother to be deceitful with a tourist visa?

It happens every day in America, the consular officers assume everyone is going to be deceitful with a tourist visa. That is their job.

Have you had this experience or are you commenting based off of things you have read?

I was denied entry at a US port of entry. It is dreadful and scary - but looking back, they should have denied me entry.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

why would a person even bother to be deceitful with a tourist visa?

It happens every day in America, the consular officers assume everyone is going to be deceitful with a tourist visa. That is their job.

I was denied entry at a US port of entry. It is dreadful and scary - but looking back, they should have denied me entry.

Yes, I know that happens. Unfortunately because of that people are punished for others actions.

Why do you say looking back? What I am looking for here is a solution and direction. What can she do differently? I'm having trouble thinking of anything because I am not objective in the situation and I know her actual intentions are to just visit. Even when I try to look objectively, and I think of what she brought to the interview, her long term job, consistent insurance, house ownership, a small son, and all of her family except one person there.... I can't think of what else she could do or provide. This isn't just a trip she can't take and just say "oh I'll just go here instead"... it cuts out any visiting from his side of our family at all. It's a big deal. Please tell me you have a direction to take on this.

Of course they don't give you real reasons at the embassy, only generic. I thought about emailing the CR Embassy to get clarification (which probably wouldn't be productive) but I actually think there's a chance it could do more harm in the future since the interviews seem to almost be lottery-like at times there. I know people that have US Visas there that own no property and never have a steady job. It's crazy!

Thank you again.

TEXAS SERVICE CENTER

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am sorry that your sister in law was denied. It is a very disappointing experience.

I was 22 years old... almost done with college and I had zero money. No other ties to my country that my college studies in a public school. My interview lasted 30 secs, officer did not look at antthig else but my school transcript full of A's. I was approved with no questions.

My sister tried a couple years later. She used to work at a bank and was pretty darn well of. Great job and great pay. Her interview took just about the same time and got denied.

The CO words were "this is not about your financials... we just can't give you a visa at this time".

As frustrating as it is, some people get lucky and some don't.

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I am sorry that your sister in law was denied. It is a very disappointing experience.

I was 22 years old... almost done with college and I had zero money. No other ties to my country that my college studies in a public school. My interview lasted 30 secs, officer did not look at antthig else but my school transcript full of A's. I was approved with no questions.

My sister tried a couple years later. She used to work at a bank and was pretty darn well of. Great job and great pay. Her interview took just about the same time and got denied.

The CO words were "this is not about your financials... we just can't give you a visa at this time".

As frustrating as it is, some people get lucky and some don't.

That is interesting! We see the same thing in CR sometimes. I wonder how the timing works. Thank you for your experience. She is going to try again.

TEXAS SERVICE CENTER

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A B visa interview is usually decided on the application, the interview itself is just a few minutes.

She can apply as often as she likes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...

That is terrible to hear, I can't believe that they didn't even look at the rest of her evdience and it sounds like she's got a really strong case for "close ties". What was the insurance paperwork that they required and did they tell her that beforehand?

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

That is terrible to hear, I can't believe that they didn't even look at the rest of her evdience and it sounds like she's got a really strong case for "close ties". What was the insurance paperwork that they required and did they tell her that beforehand?

It is pretty unfortunate, especially since there is no recourse. They don't tell you anything to bring. You just know that it is automatically on you (the applicant) to prove strong, binding ties to your country. You have to prove that you don't want to immigrate to the US. I don't remember what my husband said the specific type of paper the officer asked for was. It was a spanish word that I wasn't familiar with.

TEXAS SERVICE CENTER

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I am now nervous as I am sponsoring my Sister-in-inlaw and her daughter for a B2 visa to visit my family in the USA. As the sponsor I am paying for the visa application fee ($160 * 2 = $320) and their travel to Bogota ($415). I've got $735 invested in this and we will all be truely disappointed if they get denied. It will especially be hurtful if they get denied in the first 30 seconds without taking a look at the documents.

If these applications are decided based on the application then I feel there should be an addition step to reject applications before an interview is scheduled. The interview should truely be an interview where one has the opportunity to prove their case and not just a formality.

Im of the opinion that it should not be a negative mark if the applicant has a family member who is a citizen. If anything that should be a positive mark to help the USC be with their family members.

The system does need to be changed and either way I plan to write my representatives in congress.

Blog: http://fianceek1visa.blogspot.com/

K1 Timeline:
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
2009-12-26 : I-129F Sent
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA1
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA2
2010-04-02 : NVC Received
2010-04-05 : Consulate Received
2010-04-20 : Packet 3 Sent (via Fax)
2010-04-22 : Packet 3 Received by Consulate
2010-06-09 : Interview Date (APPROVED)
2010-06-24 : Visa Delivery (Via Domesa)
2010-07-01 : POE (Fort-Lauderdale)

2010-09-04 : Married !!!!

AOS Timeline
2010-09-11 : Packaged express mailed to Chicago Office:
2010-09-13 : Package delivered to USCIS Chicago
2010-09-20 : NOA1 via e-mail
2010-10-15 : Case Xfered to California Service Center
2010-12-01 : Inquiry made regarding delay of biometrics appointment letter
2010-12-15 : Received biometrics appointment letter (Scheduled for 2011-01-05)
2011-01-05 : Biometrics Appointment
2011-01-12 : Work Authorization Card Received
2011-01-26 : Two Year Green Card Received (Thank you VJ!!!!)

Us Citizen

May 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What documents do they have?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I am now nervous as I am sponsoring my Sister-in-inlaw and her daughter for a B2 visa to visit my family in the USA. As the sponsor I am paying for the visa application fee ($160 * 2 = $320) and their travel to Bogota ($415). I've got $735 invested in this and we will all be truely disappointed if they get denied. It will especially be hurtful if they get denied in the first 30 seconds without taking a look at the documents.

If these applications are decided based on the application then I feel there should be an addition step to reject applications before an interview is scheduled. The interview should truely be an interview where one has the opportunity to prove their case and not just a formality.

Im of the opinion that it should not be a negative mark if the applicant has a family member who is a citizen. If anything that should be a positive mark to help the USC be with their family members.

The system does need to be changed and either way I plan to write my representatives in congress.

Good luck to you guys! That is a lot to invest... especially since you really can't tell what the decision will be. I thought for sure my sister in law met all the marks they could possibly look at. I totally agree. There needs to be a change. Why make somebody go all the way to a certain part of their country, spending even more money in travel and other expenses, when you know they are already declined? I just can't see it ever changing.

What documents do they have?

Who, Boiler?

TEXAS SERVICE CENTER

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

There is no recourse, so the officer's decision is final, for the moment. She can and should schedule another interview and bring along the insurance proof she didn't have on her for this interview. It does seem the officer's decision was somewhat harsh and hasty and given all the ties she has she might fare better in a second interview. There is no set time limit that she has to wait, so tell her to do it sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

My sister in law was denied for a tourist visa today.

I have read on the US Embassy website for Costa Rica that there is no way to appeal the decision.

I understand that the applicant must prove strong binding ties to his/her country. What pisses me off is that the officer that interviewed her did not even give her an opportunity to do so. He asked her for a certain insurance paper which she didn't bring although she had something similar. At that point he ended the interview and wouldn't let her speak another word. Now, as you know there is not a list of things to bring to prove that you have ties to your country so she guessed at what to bring and brought a ton of supporting evidence. She owns her own property and house. She has been at the same company with a good job for over six years. She has a young son. She has continual Costa Rica insurance. All of her family with the exception of me and her brother are in Costa Rica. She only wanted to visit for a few weeks next Spring. He wouldn't even look at any of the evidence proving her ties to the country. The "interview" was less than 30 seconds long.

I know that a letter from us will not help because the burden of proof lies on her but I am one pissed off US citizen and I want to know if there is a place or person that I can write or call for how my family member was treated. I understand that she isn't a citizen.... and maybe some officers think it is ok that they can treat people like that but IT IS NOT.

What is the chain of command. Do they even care? I know at the airport customs they have all these signs up at POE about how those workers are the face and first impression of america. Does this not carry over to the embassy?

Please help. I would understand if she had no evidence and she was just rolling the dice but that is not the case.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I have read that having a family member in the US can be a negative mark against a tourist visa applicant. I am the USC. My husband is her brother. However, lots of people that have tourist visas have a family member in the US.

I don't have more information other than what I have written. The interviewing officer didn't even look at her ties to Costa Rica. He didn't look at any of the documents she brought. Not the long term job, not the house ownership, not anything. She is very tied to Costa Rica. The only tie to the US is me and her husband.

I guess the way that I am feeling right now is that the process seems to be a racket that just steals people's money. He never even looked at her papers she brought. No wonder some people think of the US government with such negativity. I honestly cannot think of anything that would be a possible red flag other than the fact that she has one family member here. But seriously..... once he is a citizen we could always petition for family.... why would a person even bother to be deceitful with a tourist visa? Either way, she has no plans or desire to be here on anything but a vacation visit.

A life where my husband's family doesn't have the ability to EVER travel to see us, whether for just a visit or the birth of our children, death of one of my family members here, or anything, terrifies me.

Whenever I used to hear the term "immigration" or "immigration overhaul", I had a waaaaaaay different picture that would pop into my head... something that only applied to illegal immigrants. The more experience I get with the US immigration system, the more I see a dire need for overhaul.

Obviously she will try again. Part of what made things easier for my husband to move away from all of his family and his home country was the idea that they may be able to visit. I can't imagine us moving to Costa Rica and my parents or sister not being able to come visit.

Thank you!

They must have found a red flag because I have dealt with the embassy in Costa Rica many times and I never came across one nasty person , I actually find them nicer than dealing with the USCIS. If your husband has a green card, he is able to travel back and forth whenever he wants and if you ever moved to CR, your parents are free to visit anytime without a visa for 90 days at a time. It s very easy for Americans to travel to CR.

My husband is about to travel to the US ( finally) He is excited to be able to fly back and forth and visit his family whenever he wants. We are not relying on his family members getting visas because they are very hard to get.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.