bricklane

I cannot get a driving license because my EAD will expire in 2 months - I filed for AOS last November!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I just got back from the DMV, where I tried to take the LA drivers test. I was turned away because my EAD expires in January, because they need a validity period of 180 days. However I have been waiting over a year for my AOS Green Card!

I am 23 and just got offered an awesome job- but now I find out I'm not even allowed to drive myself to work? I have a provisional driver's license from England and am named on my husband's insurance on our car but I still am technically not legally allowed to drive it.

What can I do? Renewal will take 3 months and my new job starts on Monday! Can I call the congressman or request an infopass?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Renewal does not take three months, we got ours back in about 6 weeks. You will have to reapply for EAD regardless in order to be employed.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Are you in LA or MA? Despite popular misconceptions, getting around Los Angeles via public transportation is do-able. My husband and I only have one car between us, so we have to switch off on taking public transportation depending on our schedules. Go to Metro.net and it will give you point-to-point directions. Sometimes you might have to allow an extra 15-20 minutes, but I find if I can take the Express Bus home, I actually get home quicker than if I drove my car.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am going to guess that this does not come up very often as most people get a license as soon as they have EAD in hand, well start the process.

You might want to check first that what you have been told is correct, should be on the DMV web site.

There would have been no way you could have got a license that quickly anyway so the issue is not EAD dependent.

A EAD based license would expire when your EAD does so you would have to take the test, get issued a license that may have a month validity.

You mentioned you had a Provisional License, did you ever drive, the US exam is much easier than the UK one but you still need to know the basics.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

That's the rule. You need to renew your EAD while waiting for the GC.

Is it possible for you to take public transportation to go to work for temporary?

Yes, that I was going to say. Take a public transportation.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.