sjhael

Proof of a Bonafide Marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm putting together the paperwork for my wife's Visa. As we all know it's a huge headache, but the proof of a bonafide marriage is killing me.

They want joint bank accounts, joint living proof, etc. We don't have that.

I got a few friends to write letters (though I heard that's just filler that no one reads), we have pictures all through out our relationship, and phone and chat records.

Here's the question, We have over a year and a half of chat records (which have phone records, we call over the same chat app) but it's all in Japanese.

Do I have to translate a year and a half of chats to give some good proof? Are they going to bother reading it? (I know they won't read the whole script).

Do you think I should just pick up a few sections and translate those?

Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sean

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Do you have wedding photos, receipts, etc?

That would be very helpful.

If you do not live together they will not expect you to have joint bank accounts.

RobbieG,

Dallas, TX

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm putting together the paperwork for my wife's Visa. As we all know it's a huge headache, but the proof of a bonafide marriage is killing me.

They want joint bank accounts, joint living proof, etc. We don't have that.

I got a few friends to write letters (though I heard that's just filler that no one reads), we have pictures all through out our relationship, and phone and chat records.

Here's the question, We have over a year and a half of chat records (which have phone records, we call over the same chat app) but it's all in Japanese.

Do I have to translate a year and a half of chats to give some good proof? Are they going to bother reading it? (I know they won't read the whole script).

Do you think I should just pick up a few sections and translate those?

Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sean

USCIS does not require nor do they expect a couple living apart in separate countries to have joint bank accounts, leases, own property together, etc. etc.

For the chats, select a few sections over the course of your relationship and send those, it will not be necessary to translate them.

Focus on evidence of time spent together in-person, that is your strongest evidence.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

We've got pictures, letters and chat and phone records as well as a few airplane tickets and proof of money transfered but we have yet to have an actual ceremony. Didn't want to do anything like that until we are living together.

Thanks for the help guys!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi

My plan was to bring the chat log from gmail which does not show the words of our conversation but does show the fact that we chatted. Would this list work for you as well, and then select a few of the chats to translate? If you can show a consistent and lengthy chat history with the log that would seem to me to show an ongoing relationship.

Also there was an older post about this and I'll copy here what he said-sorry it's long but it was really good. Of course check with other people about these things-as I haven't been through this part yet... Good luck

IMO, you need to front-load your initial petition filing with as much
relationship evidence as you can - as the USCIS people will see this evidence, the evidence gets bundled up at NVC and sent to GUZ, and the GUZ personnel SEE this relationship evidence prior to interview day.

Personally, I can't imagine WHY one would not 'front-load' the relationship evidence. If you're using a lawyer and ask about this - and they have NO CLUE - then it's a red flag about that lawyer's 'current knowledge' on the I-130.

I had used the instructions from the I-130 - which contain this:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or
2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or
3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or
4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or
5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or
6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

So that was my basis of info.

For me, I redid the lease on The Rustic Cracker Farm™ for both of our names, got all the utilities in both of our names. When I tried to get a joint bank account in the USA - I found it d@mned near impossible because of the Patriot Act. Others have been able to do it, though; seems to depend on your personal relationship with your banker OR that bank's ability and willingness to handle a signature card from yer lass.

I got her a paypal debit card in her name, tied into my paypal business account.

I had her added in as a beneficiary on any 'Payable On Death' Instructions for various accounts.

I have a photo stack, about 80 photos, in a glassine portfolio (20 sheets, so is 40 viewable sheets, 20 of wedding photos, 60 of us and her family). It's about 1/2 inch thick.

I have all the phone logs going back to day 0, in the form of telephone bills - That stack is about 3 inches thick now.

I printed out a chat log history and the chat logs - I pared it back to 2 inches o chat logs, the history file was about 22 pages. (single line per day)

I had 10 affadavits prepared, 5 by her friends in Wuhan, 5 by my friends in Houston.

I made color scans and color printouts of my passport, then took it in to my bank who notarized each set for free.

Of course, I've kept all the receipts of all money transfers, copies of these were included as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.