Tisa

What if noa2 arrives while visiting my fiancé in the U.S.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey

I am currently in the us with my fiancé to spend some time with him. I'll be back in germany on January 14th. We filed for the k1 visa late August (noa1 September 8th) and since we are processed at Texas I was pretty sure to no hear anything from them until February next year. But now I see the date on our timeline where it says "your petition may be adjudicated by xyz" coming closer and closer. And first it said we will probably be processed between February and March. Now, for some reason, it says we will be processed between early November and December. On one hand I am very excited to see this as I can't wait to finally be able to marry my fiancé but on the other hand I wonder if I have to leave to germany as soon as we get noa2. Or is it possible to end my vacation in the U.S. as planned and start to gather the required documents as soon as I arrive back in germany ? Is there a time frame in which I have to react to noa2 ?

Thank you guys

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I think I read somewhere that NOA2 expiration is something like 4 months after petition approval. Visa would have the be approved within that time frame, but extensions through the consulate/embassy are always possible.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello there!

When your NoA2 arrives it will take several weeks for your petition to get shipped to NVC from USCIS. In addition to that, it will also take additional time (a couple more weeks) until the Consulate handling your petition will send you Packet 3,which has the instructions for your medical, items to bring, etc. Once you get packet 3 set up and return the documents, they will book your appointment. You'll likely have at least a month before you'd need to do anything for packet 3. It was about 2 months for me.

Most consulates will automatically extend your K1 expiration date, however you can officially request one via mail or email, depending on your consulate's policies. A simple email inquiry to the consulate would likely get you information, such as if your consulate automatically extends the validity of approved petitions, or if they require an email/letter requesting an extension. I don't think you'll need one! You'll likely be back soon after packet 3 would arrive. If you can prepare for packet 3 (aside from the medical appointments/police certificate and such) prior to the interview, that's even better. Gather all the paperwork you'll need while you're visiting. Then when you return you'll have a lot less to do and be ready to rock and roll!

If you check the consulate's website, you may be able to find a packet 3 for download, or someone's old packet to refer to for what you will need. Keep in mind these get updated regularly, and sometimes they have specific requirements, so it's just a guideline until you get YOUR packet 3 in hand!

Good Luck!

Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey

I am currently in the us with my fiancé to spend some time with him. I'll be back in germany on January 14th. We filed for the k1 visa late August (noa1 September 8th) and since we are processed at Texas I was pretty sure to no hear anything from them until February next year. But now I see the date on our timeline where it says "your petition may be adjudicated by xyz" coming closer and closer. And first it said we will probably be processed between February and March. Now, for some reason, it says we will be processed between early November and December. On one hand I am very excited to see this as I can't wait to finally be able to marry my fiancé but on the other hand I wonder if I have to leave to germany as soon as we get noa2. Or is it possible to end my vacation in the U.S. as planned and start to gather the required documents as soon as I arrive back in germany ? Is there a time frame in which I have to react to noa2 ?

Thank you guys

I don't believe you should get too excited about the VJ timeline. It is only a guideline and sadly to say it does not represent an accurate representation of when you will get a NOA2. :-( :-(

Most likely your timeline for Texas is still 5 months at least. If you get it approved sooner it will be great :-) If you get your NOA2 you have a couple of weeks until it reaches NVC and then another week or so until it reaches the US embassy in Germany so you will have time to travel back to Germany and get your documents together. You may or may not have to go back to Germany right away and cut your vacation short.

I know how excited you must feel to marry your fiance, it must be a great feeling :-) Don't worry too much right now, you just started the process and you are just one month in the process. Don't worry and enjoy your time here in the US with your fiance and then worry once you get the NOA2 notification, you will have time to adjust your trip if necessary and fly back to Germany ;-)

Good luck to you both and best wishes :-)

Edited by cocolucho

*The material presented is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice*

USCIS - IR1/CR1 Wife/IR2 Daughter - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

12/03/2013 -- I-130s Sent, 12/06/2013 -- I-130s Received                                           12/13/2013 -- I-129F Sent, 12/16/2013 -- I-129F Received           

12/10/2013 -- I-130s NOA1 Hard copies received from VSC                                         12/20/2013 -- I-129F NOA1 Hard copy from VSC           

06/05/2014 -- I-130s Alien Registration Numbers Changed                                           02/12/2014 -- I-129F Transferred from VSC to TSC hard copy                                       

06/09/2014 -- I-130s RFE Emails, 06/12/2014 -- I-130s RFE Hard copies received       02/25/2014 -- I-129F Alien Registration Number Changed

06/16/2014 -- I-130s RFE Response received                                                              07/11/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 email (207 days)

09/25/2014 -- I-130 NOA2 Emails 290 days                                                                 07/16/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 Hard copy received and sent to NVC        

NVC - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

07-29-2014 -- NVC received I129F                                                                           

07-31-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

08-01-2014 -- Left NVC in route to Embassy in Lima

Embassy - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

08-07-2014 -- Embassy in Lima received case from NVC                                        

08-07-2014 -- Received email interview letter and packet IV

08-18-2014 -- Completed DS-160 online                                                                 

08-21-2014 -- Medical & Vaccination completed

09-03-2014 -- Interview (Approved)                                                                        

09-05-2014 -- Visa Issued (CEAC website)

09-10-2014 -- Visa in hand                                                                                      

09-18-2014 -- Dulles VA

USCIS - AOS Wife/Daughter

12/10/2014 -- I-485 Sent - including I-765                                                            

12/11/2014 -- I-485 Received

12/16/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Received email                                             

12/20/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Hard copies received

01/09/2015 -- I-485 and I-765 Biometrics appointment                                       

01/14/2015 -- I-485 Ready for interview

02/02/2015 -- I-485 Interview notification received                                             

02/14/2015 -- I-765 Approved - EAD card production email and text

02/24/2015 -- I-765 EAD card received                                                              

03/12/2015 -- I-485 Interview Date (APPROVED)

03/17/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Welcome letters received                                               

03/21/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Green Cards received :dance:

USCIS - ROC Wife/Daughter

01/12/2017 -- I-751 Sent

01/17/2017 -- I-751 NOA Received for wife and daughter

02/23/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Biometrics Appointment for wife and daughter

12/26/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Approved for wife and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Also, not to be pessimistic, but the VJ estimates are only as accurate as the timelines people fill out, and there has been an increasing number of mistakes made lately with people choosing TSC when they're really at CSC. This makes the estimate sooner than it probably really is.

Also, as others have noted, the NOA2 does not require any action. But make sure you've signed up for the electronic notification so at least you'll know when you've been approved at TSC!

Hey

Thank you guys

I'm happy you get to spend time with your SO. Enjoy & for a bit, don't worry about the process that much. Just make sure when you go back to Germany, you take the packet that your Fiance would normally mail you, to prevent from having to do that. Once the petition reaches the Consulate phase, everything transitions from him taking care of everything to you taking care of everything. The diligence he puts in now will be rewarded to you with you having everything you need to make your life easier when it becomes your burden to carry. We are just a few months ahead of you in the process, so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Marco

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My timeline says I should have gotten my NOA2 a few weeks ago.. So don't get too excited just yet. The problem with TSC (besides being slow) is that people on here get confused when filing out their timelines and it messes up the real TSC people. Also, this is just VJ, it can give you an idea of about where they are approving people, but I wouldn't judge based just on this website.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.