TNQA0327

Question about NVC and changing lawyer

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello all, my case was approved by UCSIS on Sept. 11 and sent to NVC. I called NCV through out this past week and found out that the NVC assigned case number and mailed welcome letter to my lawyer on Oct. 9th. i was also given an invoice number by the rep and was able to see that the bill for AOS is available.

It been 2 weeks already and my lawyer said he still havent recieve anything from the NVC. When I called my lawyer again to day, he was very rude and angry at me for contacting the NVC he even said that if I know everything I should take over and work on my case from here on out.

With all that said I would like to ask VJ 2 questions:

1. Anyone else not recieving welcome letter after 2-3 weeks of case # assigned?

2. At this stage in the process is it wise to switch lawyer? will it be a an easy transition? will it cause any delay?

thank you all and God bless!

Edited by TNQA0327

UCSIS:

PD: April 1st 2014

NOA1: 4-10-14

NOA2: 9-11-14

NVC:

CASE # ASSIGNED: 10-08-14

AOS & IV FEES: PAID 10-24-14

DS-260: COMPLETED 10-31-14

AOS & IV PACKAGE: SENT 11-03-14

SCAN DATE: 11-10-14

CASE COMPLETE: 12-29-14

MEDICAL: N/A

INTERVIEW DATE: N/A

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello all, my case was approved by UCSIS on Sept. 11 and sent to NVC. I called NCV through out this past week and found out that the NVC assigned case number and mailed welcome letter to my lawyer on Oct. 9th. i was also given an invoice number by the rep and was able to see that the bill for AOS is available.

It been 2 weeks already and my lawyer said he still havent recieve anything from the NVC. When I called my lawyer again to day, he was very rude and angry at me for contacting the NVC he even said that if I know everything I should take over and work on my case from here on out.

With all that said I would like to ask VJ 2 questions:

1. Anyone else not recieving welcome letter after 2-3 weeks of case # assigned?

2. At this stage in the process is it wise to switch lawyer? will it be a an easy transition? will it cause any delay?

thank you all and God bless!

Considering how long already the NVC process is your lawyer has been sitting and doing nothing why?

When you called NVC did you also add the petitioner and beneficiary email so you all get notification on everything? If not why?

Having a lawyer or not having a lawyer is your call. Is there a reason you felt you needed one? Do you have a complicated case? Are you going to need to file a waiver later?

If you read NVC and follow the NVC filers thread and have and the NVC process wiki you will know all you need to know and I am sure more than the lawyer.

To have them removed requires a email from you to NVC telling them he needs to be removed from your case and no further mailings to him. You call also to follow up. Delay your process no but you need to give NVC your emails.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Considering how long already the NVC process is your lawyer has been sitting and doing nothing why?

When you called NVC did you also add the petitioner and beneficiary email so you all get notification on everything? If not why?

Having a lawyer or not having a lawyer is your call. Is there a reason you felt you needed one? Do you have a complicated case? Are you going to need to file a waiver later?

If you read NVC and follow the NVC filers thread and have and the NVC process wiki you will know all you need to know and I am sure more than the lawyer.

To have them removed requires a email from you to NVC telling them he needs to be removed from your case and no further mailings to him. You call also to follow up. Delay your process no but you need to give NVC your emails.

dhweels, thank you for your reply. To answers your questions:

The lawyer told me he will contact me when he recieve the welcome letter from NVC but it doesnt seem like he care about my case at all, there was no sense of urgency in him. I told him i called NVC and that they sent him a welcome letter on the 9th but he said they may have lied and that the letter probably still sitting on some one's desk at NVC.

the last time i spoke with an nvc agent (2 days ago) i did provide them with my email but not my wife's.

i hired a lawyer because when i begin this process back in march i did not know about VJ and the Visa process. My case is pretty straight forward, young couple in love, no prior marrige, large weeding, constant contact.

I am not sure what you mean by file a waiver?

after being on VJ for a few months and reading the wiki countless time i am beingining to feel very confidence that i can finish the process if necessary

if i remove the lawyer from my case do i have to then file a DS-261?

Edited by TNQA0327

UCSIS:

NVC:

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A waiver is if the beneficiary has something on record that could get a visa denied ie a tourist visa overstay in the US.

The NVC went all electronic last year. If you have the case # and invoice id you can log on yourself and do all the work from your computer. Usually the first thing you would do is log on and complete the choice of agent which it says for the beneficiary to complete but you can do it and make yourself agent. I don't know how it works when a lawyer is already involved.

Timeline

A waiver is if the beneficiary has something on record that could get a visa denied ie a tourist visa overstay in the US.

Thank you XYZ!

I have some more questions for VJs

1. My wife is from Vietnam do I need to send in our original or certified copy of marriage certificate?

2. Some documents require translation such as birth cer, marriage cer, and police cer. but I don't think certified document translators in the US exist? Can anyone translate the document and just sign it?

3. For the AOS package, I have the most recent transcript (2013), W-2, and paystubs for the last 3 paid period. Is that enough or do I need 3 to include tax return from the past 3 years as well? This can be a problem because I did work in 2011 and 2012.

4. What constitute a house hold according to NVC? I live with my parents but they don't claim me on their tax return. I am an independent but we live in the same house.

5. Lastly, as of Oct. 2014, can we send in AOS and IV package to NVC at the same time and maybe in the same package?

Thank you

Edited by TNQA0327

UCSIS:

NVC:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you XYZ!

1. My wife is from Vietnam do I need to send in our original or certified copy of marriage certificate?

2. Some documents require translation such as birth cer, marriage cer, and police cer. but I don't think certified document translators in the US exist? Can anyone translate the document and just sign it?

3. For the AOS package, I have the most recent transcript (2013), W-2, and paystubs for the last 3 paid period. Is that enough or do I need 3 to include tax return from the past 3 years as well? This can be a problem because I did work in 2011 and 2012.

4. What constitute a house hold according to NVC? I live with my parents but they don't claim me on their tax return. I am an independent but we live in the same house.

5. Lastly, as of Oct. 2014, can we send in AOS and IV package to NVC at the same time and maybe in the same package?

Thank you

Answers:

1. Send the original AND a photocopy, this is so you will get the original back.
  2. Vietnam specific answer needed
  3. If you use transcripts, then you don't need the W2. The NVC usually only requires the most recent but some Consulates want more. Another Vietnam specific answer is needed here.
  4. Your parents are not included in your household count. You only count yourself and your spouse (2).
  5. People who have recently filed should answer, I don't want to give you a bum steer one way or the other.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thank you Ryan!

I was worry about having a large house hold and not enough income but your answer put me at ease!

You mentioned that if we send in the original we will get it back at some point? do you know when and how we get it back?

Edited by TNQA0327

UCSIS:

NVC:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You mentioned that if we send in the original we will get it back at some point? do you know when and how we get it back?

It is usually returned at the interview.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

Thank you XYZ!

Thank you

Re question #2 above, anyone with a sufficiently competent understanding of Vietnamese can translate documents. I had some documents translated by a co-worker, some I did myself (haha). You can search through VJ for a letter the individual doing the translating can create, in which they state their competency in both English and Vietnamese. Alternatively, my wife had translations prepared in Vietnam that were stamped (like everything else there it seems) and this stamp also seemed to work.

In summary...as long as the translation is good you should be fine. No need to certify anything beyond what I mention, above.

Best of luck!

Timeline

In summary...as long as the translation is good you should be fine. No need to certify anything beyond what I mention, above.

Best of luck!

Thank you JRF!

Awesome profile picture! My wife and I also wear the traditional ao dai for our wedding :)

UCSIS:

NVC:

Timeline

Guys, I just got off the phone with an NVC agent and let me just say that he was excellent and extremely helpful.

So a little update:

1. dwheels was correct. All I need to do is send NVC an email stating i want to remove the attorney and it will be done.

2. I am not sure if VJs are aware of this but: When they say they need a translation of a document what they really mean is they only need it if the document is in a different language than the official language that the beneficiary is applying the visa for. So for my wife's documents' original form being Vietnamese and she is applying for a visa from Vietnam they will not need to be translated.

3. The agent recommended that we not staple our papers together (if more than one sheet per doc) but instead we should use paper clips.

4. This is for Ryan H and anyone who maybe curious: Yes, we now can and should send both AOS and IV together in the same mailing envelope. Maybe you can place the packages in separate manila envelopes inside the mailing envelope to avoid confusion. This question was confirmed by the agent.

Edited by TNQA0327

UCSIS:

NVC:

Timeline

Hello again everybody,

So I've just paid both my AOS and IV bills. My next step is to send NVC the package but I notice that on NVC's website it stated that we should use ATT:CR, however, in in the recipe with barcode of both bills it stated that we should use ATT:CMR. which is the correct one? I included the screenshots below:

2v9f41d.jpg

2d8rrlc.jpg

UCSIS:

NVC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.