mebinkle

What to send with the I-134 Affidavit of support

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am confused about form I-134. No where in the instructions does it ask for tax returns, it only asks for them if you are self employed, yet every post I read says you need them. To me, I think it is unreasonable to expect something if it is not asked for in the instructions. Do I need these? It also makes me wonder what else is expected for the I-134 that the instructions do not ask for?

Hi, in this link http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide, you can find the next:

I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Ensure it is signed, with all required supporting evidence. Begin collecting the required information ahead of time, as it can often take several weeks to collect it all. You will need several items (for the above form). Gather duplicate evidence of income and resources as appropriate:

(A) Statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance
(B) Statement(s) from your employer on business stationary showing: 1. Date and nature of employment; 2. salary paid; 3. whether position is temporary or permanent (also include copies of your last two pay stubs and your previous W-2 for the associated employer if available)
© If Self Employed: 1. Copy of last income tax return filed (or IRS transcripts); or 2. report of commercial rating concern
(D) List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Begin collecting these ASAP after your NOA2 arrives. See this FAQ for more tips and useful information on the Affidavit of Support Form.

Best regards!

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

We included the income tax return in part because it was easier to get a copy of (he had it at home) than to get the statements listed in A or B

I am confused about form I-134. No where in the instructions does it ask for tax returns, it only asks for them if you are self employed, yet every post I read says you need them. To me, I think it is unreasonable to expect something if it is not asked for in the instructions. Do I need these? It also makes me wonder what else is expected for the I-134 that the instructions do not ask for?

There isn't a specific requirement by law for the I-134 except that the officer is convinced you won't become a public charge. However each consulate may have local practices for what it takes to convince them. Visa Journey guides tend to over-state everything for the visa process to cover the worst case scenario anywhere in the world. They gotcha covered for everything possible.

But this is well documented for years about London:

No tax returns are required. Same with bank statements or anything else. There is no specific list as long as you bring some kind of proof of the income. People are approved all the time on an employer letter only . Or just one tax return. I think it is a good practice to prepare two types of proofs for "just in case."

Just recently at least two people have stated that the officer in London took only the I-134 form and said he didn't want any documentation with it. Was it because the fiancé was a teacher and he thought that was enough to convince him the immigrant would be supported?? Don't know. Kinda weird, but I would certainly not say that was enough evidence to say bring nothing.

London also allows the beneficiaries to self-sponsor if they have a big stash of cash or maybe a house with a pending sale. They are pretty flexible with the I-134. They accept an I-134 from a different sponsor than the fiancé. So co-sponsor is kind of a misnomer because the fiancé has to submit nothing if they don't make enough to sponsor. The "co-sponsor" can be the only sponsor.

Some other things you will never need for London that are promoted in the VJ guides:

A photocopy of the entire I-129F packet.

Original documents featured in the I-129F packet like petitioners birth certificate, or the boarding passes, etc...

NOA 2

Proof of engagement

Proof of relationship (new stuff since the petition)

Photos together ( new since the petition)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Send the free IRS tax transcripts, copies of three recent pay summaries and a letter from your employer.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure about your embassy, but in the instructions letter from the embassy in the Philippines is where the requirement for the tax return and W-2 are listed. Read the instructions letter for your embassy, odds are the requirement is listed there.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I just brought along a letter from my finance's employer and her most recent payslip. But i wasn't asked about it or for anything more.

Edited by Gopher87

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I just brought along a letter from my finance's employer and her most recent payslip. But i wasn't asked about it or for anything more.

Ok yea, from what I've read about the UK they don't look at too much. I think I am giving my fiance more than enough evidence for the I-134. I added in my tax return, W-2s, and payslips just in case. Just wanted to make sure, it's been a long enough process as is so I don't want it taking any longer! Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.