JTC84

Will TEMPORARY receipt of benefits (food stamps) affect my application?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

Me (30m) and my fiance (29). She lives in the Philippines and I live in the USA. We have been in a relationship for over 1 year now. I have been there to visit her once for 15 days in September. We want to get married, and live together here in the US, and start a family. We are now starting to write letters via snail mail and saving all our e-mails, Skype chats, and Facebook chats as well as photos from my visit in order to establish "proof of relationship". I also plan to visit her one more time by the summer.

We plan to do the K1 route, as it seems to be a bit quicker and simpler than getting married in the Philippines (which seems to have a lot more requirements). This is my situation in a nutshell: After 4 years full time student for ASN (nursing), that didn't work out, so I took an EMT-B course and plan to become a paramedic after working for a year (which is the minimum experience requirement for paramedic school in my state). At the MOMENT I am unemployed (for 2 months) and I have applied for food stamp benefits. I will probably only be on food stamps for a month or two while I look for work as an EMT (I just have one final test to take in a few days to certify). The prospects of finding a job are fairly good (I'm told everyone is hiring EMTs) and I plan to move out of my mom's house by the summer. I am fairly certain that my father will have no problem co-sponsoring, but I haven't asked him yet.

My question is if having been on food stamp assistance temporarily (1-2 months) will affect my application when I file in the next year?

I'm told that having a co-sponsor actually reduces your chances of approval?

Also, how long should I work before I wait to file? As my fiance is almost 30, we are both concerned about getting things done quickly, as she does not want to pregnant past a certain age and we both want to have a child together.

Thanks for the help guys. I know my situation is not ideal and a bit more complicated than most.

-Justin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

You are a U.S. Citizen and you are entitled to food stamps as such, therefore this would have absolutely 0 affect on your petition as far as a negative reflection. You WILL however need a co-sponsor if your are not making 125% of the minimum federal poverty line.

As long as your father is willing to co-sponsor you, then file when you feel ready, because all they probably want to see from you is that you filed taxes the past three years, everything regarding sponsoring your fiance will be related to your Joint Sponsor.

So no, it will not affect you as long as you have a co-sponsor and your fiance does not go on any means-tested benefits during her time as an immigrant in the US.

6/24/2014 - I-130 Shipped via UPS to Chicago

6/26/2014 - I-130 Received and signed for at USCIS

7/1/2014 - E-mail of acceptance with Receipt number - NoA 1 (Routed to California Service Center)

07/15/2014 - Change of Address via phone call with USCIS, confirmation via e-mail.

7/30/2014 - I-130 Approved at USCIS - NoA 2 E-mail

08/13/2014 - NVC Received Approved I-130 package from USCIS

08/21/2014 - Case Number and IIN created at NVC

08/25/2014 - Case Number and IIN received via phone call. DS-261 Available and completed online.

8/26/2014 - AoS Fee invoiced and paid online.

8/28/2014 - AoS Invoice status PAID

09/04/2014 - Expedite Request response - Must enter Beneficiary Date of Birth - Re-sent exact e-mail with requested info

09/10/2014 - Expedite Request e-mail received as "Under Review"

09/11/2014 - Expedite Request Approved - Confirmation via e-mail from U.S. Embassy in Bucharest, Romania

09/16/2014 - Embassy Received Case from NVC

09/16/2014 - Received E-mail from Embassy to Schedule our Interview and prepare documents

9/23/2014 - Medical Exam at Regina Maria - Results OK

10/01/2014 - Visa Approved!

10/03/2014 - Received Passport with Visa!

11/2/2104 - PoE Atlanta - Welcome to the US!

11/5/2014 - Paid $165 ELIS Fee

8/1/2016 - I-751 Packet sent in for Removal of Conditions!

8/15/2016 - Notice of Action 1 for I-751 - California Service Center

9/29/2016 - Received Biometrics Appointment

You are a U.S. Citizen and you are entitled to food stamps as such, therefore this would have absolutely 0 affect on your petition as far as a negative reflection. You WILL however need a co-sponsor if your are not making 125% of the minimum federal poverty line.

As long as your father is willing to co-sponsor you, then file when you feel ready, because all they probably want to see from you is that you filed taxes the past three years, everything regarding sponsoring your fiance will be related to your Joint Sponsor.

So no, it will not affect you as long as you have a co-sponsor and your fiance does not go on any means-tested benefits during her time as an immigrant in the US.

Okay thank you. You do bring up another question for me, though!

Say I'm earning 100% - 120% as an EMT, but I get a second job on weekends that pushes me just over 125% - would having two jobs be a negative reflection?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Since your fiancée is from the Philippines, you need to do some more research on whether a co-sponsor would be accepted in your situation.

Why would having two jobs and meeting the 125% requirement be a negative reflection? Just the opposite...in fact, it might be your only option.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Co sponsor for K1 in PI is unlikely to work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The Application of the 129-F requires no financial information. It takes time to process and income verification is needed at interview and hopefully your income status will change by that time. It is unlikely a Co-Sponsor will be accepted. Food Stamps are OK for now but if you qualify for them by the time of her interview she will never get Approved. You need to make above the poverty line for 2.

I suggest: Send your 129-F and work your butt off with that in mind. You have plenty of time to fix your financial situation. Your educated and there is a need for what you do. BEST OF LUCK. Send the 129-F.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

It's perfectly possible to qualify for SNAP (food stamps) and be over the poverty level. SNAP only requires that you make below 133% of the poverty level, so you could be in between.

There is nothing wrong with having more than one job in order to qualify as a sponsor as long as it's over the required amount. They don't even ask about your receipt of benefits and you can't use them anyway to meet the requirements.

Therefore, you can keep receiving SNAP as long as you're eligible since it will not have a negative effect on the process. If you need a joint sponsor, that's another issue, since I've read multiple times on here that it may not be possible for the K1 in the Phillippines.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Timeline

It's perfectly possible to qualify for SNAP (food stamps) and be over the poverty level. SNAP only requires that you make below 133% of the poverty level, so you could be in between.

There is nothing wrong with having more than one job in order to qualify as a sponsor as long as it's over the required amount. They don't even ask about your receipt of benefits and you can't use them anyway to meet the requirements.

Therefore, you can keep receiving SNAP as long as you're eligible since it will not have a negative effect on the process. If you need a joint sponsor, that's another issue, since I've read multiple times on here that it may not be possible for the K1 in the Phillippines.

If the Petitioner sends his Finacee to that interview in the Philippines making slightly above, at or near the levels of income documentation she may walk away Crying and start the process all-over again. The CO will want good proof of currant income and a employment letter as well. Therefore, I don't recommend this advise. This is for you young lady...

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Um...the requirements are that you make 125% of the poverty level, if you make that amount you can't be denied based on insufficient income. If the OP isn't currently making that amount then there is a problem. The fact that you receive benefits does not affect your ability to sponsor as long as you meet the poverty level requirements. There is no such thing that you have to make a certain amount over the minimum unless I am I missing something here?

Okay so I'm reading the Co-Sponsors aren't accepted most of the time in PH... which I find ridiculous. I'm marrying her to start a family, why would her father in law-to be not factor into the equation? They don't accept Co-Sponsors? What if I died? I think it would be better to have a family Co-Sponsor - more support and stability, no?

I'm glad to know that recieving SNAP at this time temporarily will not be a mark against me in the future. Getting some help right now will really take a lot of stress away. One less thing to worry about y'know. I have indeed filed taxes the past years.

However I find comments regarding how picky they are with income to be disheartening. Full time EMT-B's in my state earn "average" of around 27k/yr, though many make less. Most EMT's do start around 10-14 an hour, so full-time is a must. It's not great money but that's above the poverty level, right? About 200%.

Look this woman is amazing and if I have to I'll work 60 hours a week to pull this off.

Timeline

No one is here to put you down. You will be fine and keep that in mind each day on your personal/joint Journey to be together. You'll make it! (L)

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

I just noticed you live in Waterbury, cool. I live there for a couple of years. A joint sponsor should be accepted if you do a spousal visa.

No one is here to put you down. You will be fine and keep that in mind each day on your personal/joint Journey to be together. You'll make it! (L)

Oh I don't feel like anyone is trying to put me down. Reality is reality. If the reality is that PH wants sponsors to earn X amount of money, then that's just the reality of the situation that I have to deal with.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.