JTC84

Will TEMPORARY receipt of benefits (food stamps) affect my application?

42 posts in this topic

Manila very rarely accepts co-sponsors for a K1 because the form is not legally binding. This is within the discretion of any embassy or consulate. However every consulate must accept a joint sponsor for a CR1/IR1 (spousal) visa as the affidavit of support for that visa type IS legally binding.

You must make 100% of the poverty level to sponsor by yourself on a K1 and 125% for a spousal visa. Currently that is almost 20k per year so about $10/hr working fulltime.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

However it's highly unlikely that a family of 2 can actually survive on that.

Remember to factor in ALL the costs of a K1 which include the A0S. It's not a cheap process and your fiancée would be unable to work to help out for about 90 days after filing for the AOS after marriage.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks for clearing that up NLR. I wasn't sure myself if one could get away with 100% on the K1, or do some consulates still have the discretion to require 125%?

Edited by Ian H.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Timeline

Manila very rarely accepts co-sponsors for a K1 because the form is not legally binding. This is within the discretion of any embassy or consulate. However every consulate must accept a joint sponsor for a CR1/IR1 (spousal) visa as the affidavit of support for that visa type IS legally binding.

You must make 100% of the poverty level to sponsor by yourself on a K1 and 125% for a spousal visa. Currently that is almost 20k per year so about $10/hr working fulltime.

Here's what I found for poverty levels: http://familiesusa.org/product/federal-poverty-guidelines

I thought I had to make 125% for a K1?

I'm sorry guys, this stuff is so confusing and there's so many acronyms.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

However it's highly unlikely that a family of 2 can actually survive on that.

Remember to factor in ALL the costs of a K1 which include the A0S. It's not a cheap process and your fiancée would be unable to work to help out for about 90 days after filing for the AOS after marriage.

There was a poster worried about their wife going out of status because he couldn't afford the $1,070 fee.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

That should only be necessary if you don't make enough for the K1 and/or they won't accept a joint sponsor. You also have the option of marrying in another country if the requirements are too strict in the Philippines? If you don't my asking, what do they require for you to marry over there?

Yeah that's the hard part!

I looked into getting married in the PH... at the time it seemed a K1 would be easier.

Maybe I should get married there?

As long as they get married within the 90 days, they can file the AOS later.

There was a poster worried about their wife going out of status because he couldn't afford the $1,070 fee.

Edited by Ian H.

Filed: Timeline

That should only be necessary if you don't make enough for the K1 and/or they won't accept a joint sponsor. You also have the option of marrying in another country if the requirements are too strict in the Philippines? If you don't my asking, what do they require for you to marry over there?

I can't find the page anymore, but it required 2 visitations, 2 years of proven relationship, a certain amount of time spent in the country, a certain income - it's all based on your ability to live in the Philippines it seemed.

Oh wow, that is strict. I guess they don't want people to rush in to marriage, but it places an undue burden on a couple. In any case, like I said, if it comes down to that, you can get married in another country. A marriage from any country is valid for immigration purposes, as long as it was legal where it happened.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As long as they get married within the 90 days, they can file the AOS later.

Later, from my understanding, is not indefinite either. It is later unless the immigration authorities catch up with you before you file the AOS. You are supposed to get married within 90 days AND file for AOS. If not, the I-94, which will give you legal authority to stay in the US, will have expired and the beneficiary will be out of status.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

I thought the i-134 calls for 100% last time I checked but the i-864 calls for 125%.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can't find the page anymore, but it required 2 visitations, 2 years of proven relationship, a certain amount of time spent in the country, a certain income - it's all based on your ability to live in the Philippines it seemed.

The 129-F Petition only requires you have met once in a 2 year period before filing. No certain time is required as to your visit. It don't have to be a 2 year relationship, it could be for 1 day or 8 years as long as you file and pay the fee.

Getting married in the Philippines requires a long wait period filed in the Manila Embassy. If you can afford that. And there are Fees associated.

So, what's best for your Current situation: I would suggest the K-1 route.

You can't find the page because you never seen it or read it wrong.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good luck at that Interview in the Philippines

Edited by Tim/Mav

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I thought the i-134 calls for 100% last time I checked but the i-864 calls for 125%.

Many consulates follow the I-864 guidelines, even with the I-134 for a K-1, and that includes wanting to see 125%. They know you will need the 125% soon after you marry and file for AOS and need to submit the I-864. Just another way the K-1 visa is special, since it might be a non-immigrant visa, but still has immigrant intent.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Later, from my understanding, is not indefinite either. It is later unless the immigration authorities catch up with you before you file the AOS. You are supposed to get married within 90 days AND file for AOS. If not, the I-94, which will give you legal authority to stay in the US, will have expired and the beneficiary will be out of status.

As long as you marry within 90 days of entry with the K-1 visa, you are eligible to file for AOS. There is no deadline. You will be out of status when the I-94 expires, but that does not effect your eligibility to file for AOS.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.