gap1

Interview Advice: BRING EVERYTHING!

27 posts in this topic

When you submit the originals to the NVC, you don't need them again for the interview because everything sent to the NVC is forwarded to the embassy.

I'm not sure about the second one, but the financial support docs that were sent to the NVC would also be there at the embassy for the interview, unless your situation changed from when you got case complete from the NVC, i.e. got a new joint sponsor.

Question for you guys - do you bring original copies to the interview or copies of original documents??? What I am reading says original documents need to be submitted to NVC. . . but then it says original documents need to be submitted at the interview. Can't have it both ways obviously, so which is recommended???????

Secondly, when people are saying the interviewee brought tax statements - is this tax statements of the petitioner or what?

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

When you submit the originals to the NVC, you don't need them again for the interview because everything sent to the NVC is forwarded to the embassy.

I'm not sure about the second one, but the financial support docs that were sent to the NVC would also be there at the embassy for the interview, unless your situation changed from when you got case complete from the NVC, i.e. got a new joint sponsor.

The original post is in regards to the citizenship interview at a USCIS office here in the US. This case doesn't deal with NVC.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I went for the interview the officer asked me what basis I was filing under. I told her marriage to a citizen (3 years). She asked, why don't you file under the 5 year clause, so I pointed out that it's only been 4 years since I received my green card.. After she figured this out by counting on her fingers she agreed and asked me what proof I have. So I showed her the original marriage certificate and his birth certificate. (I actually mailed in another original marriage certificate with my application but I guess that went into some file somewhere and will never see the light of day.) That was enough for her and she moved on to asking civics questions.

What the interviewing officer did with your husband is very unfair and I'd be mad as hell too.. Sounds like your officer is either having a bad day or is just a jerk. >_>

I'm sure once you send in all the papers they will let things move along and you can put this all behind you. Hang in there, you're almost done!!

I am aware the the OP was talking about the citizenship interview, but the post was answering another person's question about the NVC.

The original post is in regards to the citizenship interview at a USCIS office here in the US. This case doesn't deal with NVC.

When I went for the interview the officer asked me what basis I was filing under. I told her marriage to a citizen (3 years). She asked, why don't you file under the 5 year clause, so I pointed out that it's only been 4 years since I received my green card.. After she figured this out by counting on her fingers she agreed and asked me what proof I have. So I showed her the original marriage certificate and his birth certificate. (I actually mailed in another original marriage certificate with my application but I guess that went into some file somewhere and will never see the light of day.) That was enough for her and she moved on to asking civics questions.

What the interviewing officer did with your husband is very unfair and I'd be mad as hell too.. Sounds like your officer is either having a bad day or is just a jerk. >_>

I'm sure once you send in all the papers they will let things move along and you can put this all behind you. Hang in there, you're almost done!!

My husband said the officer didn't ask him for anything on the 'documentation needed' list they gave us to prepare for the interview. When my husband asked him if he needed our tax documentation (as it was on the freakin' letter!!) he replied with "Nope, I already have all of that right here!" Then he acted surprised when my husband didn't have our financial records and leases, when it wasn't even requested! I honestly think the person processing our N-400 made a mistake when creating our documentation list and wrote down what we already submitted versus what they wanted to see. It's the only explanation. At any rate, I am just really annoyed. I don't mess up the paperwork, I never have for this entire process. I read the instructions meticulously and cross reference at every step of the way.

I know it could be much worse, but I'm just eager to be done with it all.

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

That blows. I hope you get your approval soon.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

Best of luck. It looks like you're doing everything right. The end is near. Hang tight.

All this paper gathering does get so old, so fast...and the whole process lasts such a long time. My sympathies, gosh. But thanks very much for the heads-up.

Cry me a river. You could be in Liberia right now. What does one expect BUT paper gathering for getting US CITIZENSHIP.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Of course you have to get a lot of paperwork together. And it does get old fast.

Just acknowledging support and the lack of receipt of a comprehensive list of what to bring, which is what the OP was upset about. And very glad I'm not in Liberia.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Cry me a river. You could be in Liberia right now. What does one expect BUT paper gathering for getting US CITIZENSHIP.

Right, and we could all be starving, or we could be dying from the plague, or we could be enslaved....does that mean no one is allowed to complain about anything ever? Everything could always be worse.

Yes, you expect to gather paperwork to become a citizen of a country, but it becomes increasingly infuriating when there is no logic to the system. This has been four years now of submitting the same stuff over and over again (registered copy here, in duplicate there, don't sign here and make sure you notarize this initial there, oh and we'll need another $1k for the 15th biometrics appointment, you know, in case my husband's fingerprints changed in the last year) and it's obvious the immigration departments do not speak to each other or even reference a centralized database when looking through the files. A database probably doesn't even exist.

I have provided the so-called 'missing' documents that are currently delaying our case countless times on prior forms and packets, yet because we didn't produce them AGAIN when we weren't even asked to bring them to the interview in the first place, they were not yet able to approve him at the interview. It gets to the point where I feel like they're just making up the rules as they go along based on how they feel that day. :angry:

Edited by gap1

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

I agree with all of your points. This is why I hate bureaucracies. It's the same things over and over again. At least here they only require photocopies and don't typically keep the originals, which just adds more expense.

In my country, all civil docs expire and you need a new one for every little thing, you need one each year to register for school, you need one to get an ID, you need one for a passport, etc instead of using the one copy you have for everything.

I think that so much paperwork, is highly unnecessary when most things can be verified electronically now a days. Why do you need to see my marriage certificate again? I wouldn't be in the country based on a marriage to a USC if I didn't already show it once. The fingerprints too, what's up with that? Any crime you committed previously would show up anyway.

We need a major overhaul of all of these government agencies, my biggest peeve is the IRS. Why does it have to be so complicated to figure out how much you owe the government? Rant over lol

My husband had his interview today, but they can't yet approve him because they wanted copies of our joint account statements and leases. They did not mention this ANYWHERE in the document list on the letter, not to mention, we've submitted this to them countless times on the other applications. How can they not approve us for something they didn't even say they needed??? I'm fuming angry right now.

I just wanted to post here to warn people to bring everything, even if they don't say it's needed. He went in with only the documents listed on the letter: Green card, passport, tax statements for the last 3 years, both birth certificates, and our marriage certificate. Nope, apparently we have to be mind readers.

Hopefully this only delays us slightly. We are getting it all to them tomorrow, but why do I have a feeling this will take forever to sort out? If they wanted to see it, why the #### wouldn't they ask for it on the letter???

:ranting::ranting::ranting:

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and I hope you get your approval soon.

As for the USCIS not mentioning that they need it, I clearly remember reading on the second page of the Interview Notice that if you are applying based on marriage to a US Citizen, you should bring proof of bonafide marriage like joint bank statements, insurance, leases, birth certificates, etc. I believe this is a generic reminder that comes with all Interview letters.

The yellow letter that I previously received did not even mention any of those things. My yellow letter just asked me to bring my State ID and payment plan with IRS. Two nights before my interview, I made sure to reread the INterview letter and that's when I started getting all the necessary docs.

On another note, my husband and I do not have joint bank accounts and it was not a problem.

Goodluck!

Met August 8, 2007 through a common friend
Officially a couple October 2, 2007
Married November 2008
------------------------------------------
USCIS
02/09/2010 - Receipt date on NOA1
02/16/2010 - Notice date (NOA1)
02/24/2010 - Received NOA1 in mail
04/20/2010 - Notice date (NOA2) APPROVED PETITION!
04/27/2010 - Received NOA2 in mail

NVC
04/28/2010 - AOS Bill generated
05/06/2010 - Received AOS Bill and DS-3032 in mail (New York)
05/20/2010 - Sent DS-3032 via email
05/21/2010 - Received DS-3032 form in mail (Philippines)
05/21/2010 - Paid AOS fee online
05/25/2010 - AOS fee shows PAID
05/25/2010 - NVC acknowledges DS-3032 email
05/26/2010 - IV fee generated
05/31/2010 - Paid IV fee
06/02/2010 - IV fee shows PAID
08/17/2010 - Sent AOS and DS-230 papers via 3-day air
08/25/2010 - NVC received the documents as per NVC IVR
09/18/2010 - Received checklist for I-864 forms
10/22/2010 - Sent RFE response
11/04/2010 - NVC received checklist response letter
11/14/2010 - SIF!!!! Yaaayyy!!
11/22/2010 - CC as per AVR
11/30/2010 - Received appointment letter
12/07/2010 - Medicals Day 1
12/08/2010 - Medicals Day 2 - PASSED!!!
01/04/2011 - Interview...APPROVED!!!
01/07/2011 - Received VISA
01/19/2011 - CFO Seminar
01/24/2011 - POE JFK =)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for the warning about this Gap1. We are just getting ready to submit the N400 and I'm wondering how much documentation they want.

You say they asked for bank accounts and leases. What are they trying to establish?? That your marriage is valid? Or that you are continuously residing in the US?

Very strange! Best of luck!

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

10/20/14...N-400 mailed to Phoenix
--/--/14.. N-400 packet received
--/--/14... Check cashed
--/--/14... NOA1 received (Priority Date 10/10/14)
---/---/14... Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --/--/14)
---/---/14... Early walk-in for Biometrics (Tampa FL)
---/---/14... In line for interview
---/---/14... Interview completed
---/---/14... Oath letter received
---/---/14... Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.