LBeachey

Medical Coverage for Visiting Parent

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My father-in-law will be arriving next Saturday for a 5 and a half month visit.

All along I have planned on buying him visitor's medical insurance. He is 64 years old,

I am trying to decide between two policies

1. For ~$1000 I can but a policy with an intiial $1000 deductible, a 10% co-pay up to $5000 and then 100% up to a max benefit to $500,000

2 For ~$700, I can buy a policy with an initial $5000 deductible, then 100% to $500,000

Here is my question, has anyone ever bought one of these policies and tried to use them. They both have a pre-existing condition exclusion and I suspect for any type of routine care they would argue it was pre-existing. Just writing out the cost, the first policy seems to make more sense if you can actually use it for routine care So ultimately, this would be only for an accident or something like a heart attack.

Looking if anyone has had experience with buying this type of medical insurance and whether it is good for anything but true catastrophic care.

A Chinese friend actually told me he does not buy anything because if needed, you go to the emergency room and ultimately my wife and I would not be responsible for my father-in-law's medical bills. However, if the need arises I believe my father-in-law would get better care if he had some form of insurance.

Thoughts?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In the UK it is normal to by travel insurance, which includes Medical and Repatriation costs. Difficult to get for such an extended period at that age. Is there not something similar in China?

The cover I have seen you can buy here is limited, the premiums you have mentioned are reflective of that. I doubt that it is intended to cover routine care but you would need to check the small print, also look for inner limits and exclusions.

As far as winging it, obviously the odd trip to Emergency Care and a prescription is not likely to be of any great cost, end up in hospital and you are talking another thing entirely.

Best solution is to stay healthy! US is not a good place to be sick. See what happened to that guy who died from Ebola in Texas.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

My father-in-law will be arriving next Saturday for a 5 and a half month visit.

All along I have planned on buying him visitor's medical insurance. He is 64 years old,

I am trying to decide between two policies

1. For ~$1000 I can but a policy with an intiial $1000 deductible, a 10% co-pay up to $5000 and then 100% up to a max benefit to $500,000

2 For ~$700, I can buy a policy with an initial $5000 deductible, then 100% to $500,000

Here is my question, has anyone ever bought one of these policies and tried to use them. They both have a pre-existing condition exclusion and I suspect for any type of routine care they would argue it was pre-existing. Just writing out the cost, the first policy seems to make more sense if you can actually use it for routine care So ultimately, this would be only for an accident or something like a heart attack.

Looking if anyone has had experience with buying this type of medical insurance and whether it is good for anything but true catastrophic care.

A Chinese friend actually told me he does not buy anything because if needed, you go to the emergency room and ultimately my wife and I would not be responsible for my father-in-law's medical bills. However, if the need arises I believe my father-in-law would get better care if he had some form of insurance.

Thoughts?

Some policies have minimal coverage for acute recurrence of preexisting conditions. I don't know how well it would work but at least you may have some coverage if something happens.

We had a $500 deductible/ 20% copay that we used when my father in law broke his ankle. It worked roughly the same as our health insurance - we got our share of the bill in the mail. Part of the decision in picking the plan was that the hospital nearby was a provider so that they had negotiated network rates and they would submit the claims like regular insurance.

You wouldn't be legally responsible for the ER bill unless you signed something that said you would be. The bills, letters and collection phone calls would probably be coming to you though. I would still recommend getting the visitors insurance for the price. Covering something is better than covering nothing.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

In the UK it is normal to by travel insurance, which includes Medical and Repatriation costs. Difficult to get for such an extended period at that age. Is there not something similar in China?

The cover I have seen you can buy here is limited, the premiums you have mentioned are reflective of that. I doubt that it is intended to cover routine care but you would need to check the small print, also look for inner limits and exclusions.

As far as winging it, obviously the odd trip to Emergency Care and a prescription is not likely to be of any great cost, end up in hospital and you are talking another thing entirely.

Best solution is to stay healthy! US is not a good place to be sick. See what happened to that guy who died from Ebola in Texas.

He has limited medical insurance in China but I need something to cover him here.

Certainly one concern is a major hospitalization but in that scenario limiting my liability to $5K given the low likelihood makes the cheaper plan make more sense. Given his health, I suspect my wife may want him to see a doctor for his nagging issues though I suspect we will have to pay out of pocket for that. My personal health plan works almost the same way, the big advantage to it is I automatically pay the negotiated rates. I do think this plan would help there as well.

Timeline

If he was eligible for Obamacare, which he is not, then he would be paying that sort of premium a month, so logic suggests cover is limited.

Travel Insurance in the UK is something you buy to cover trips abroad, surprised there is not a similar product in China. After all lots of Chinese travel now, must be a big market.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Foreign policies, unless its backed by a major company, will likely have you being billed directly by the hospital and then submitting the claims and crossing your fingers. You also probably won't find any that negotiate a preferred provider rate with the US hospital. You'll end up getting a bigger bill.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

my two cents... for what its worth.

the insurance is for a catastrophic event so he can receive care here then repatriation to his home country.

i work in an ICU in Las Vegas. We have a high volume of visitors through our city. some of them are involved in unfortunate events-car accidents, strokes, heart attacks. assaults. Eventually they need to be returned to their countries for rehabilitation. they may require an air ambulance and cannot fly commercial. it is expensive flights to europe, asia, south america, $80,000. not to mention cost of care here to get to point of ready for rehab.

Timeline

my two cents... for what its worth.

the insurance is for a catastrophic event so he can receive care here then repatriation to his home country.

i work in an ICU in Las Vegas. We have a high volume of visitors through our city. some of them are involved in unfortunate events-car accidents, strokes, heart attacks. assaults. Eventually they need to be returned to their countries for rehabilitation. they may require an air ambulance and cannot fly commercial. it is expensive flights to europe, asia, south america, $80,000. not to mention cost of care here to get to point of ready for rehab.

Always worth pointing out though, most of these plans wont cover a heart attack or stroke or any treatment related to it. Very rare to have an event like that that a travel plan won't classify as preexisting condition. They don't go by whether you have had symptoms or a diagnosis prior to the event. They have medical personal determine what led to the event, and most of them are classified as preexisting condition.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

I am familiar with UK Policy wordings, have an idea about US policy wordings and have not a clue about Chinese policies.

Anyway certainly UK Insurers have helplines etc and local partners and whilst the small stuff would be on a reimbursement basis it would not be usual for the large stuff to be so.

Timeline

I am familiar with UK Policy wordings, have an idea about US policy wordings and have not a clue about Chinese policies.

Anyway certainly UK Insurers have helplines etc and local partners and whilst the small stuff would be on a reimbursement basis it would not be usual for the large stuff to be so.

The best USA plan we used was backed by Lloyd's of London, I wouldn't have any reservations about buying UK based insurance if I was traveling to or from there. As long as you do your research I suppose.

As far as having a plan that works like US insurance - showing your ID card, having the hospital accept that and then submit the claim for you, and getting the bill for coinsurance in the mail later - I have only found that with US based plans. It has been a few years though, and I'm sure I haven't looked at every plan out there but we have looked at a lot.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

UK you see Travel Insurance adverts all over, never seen one here. but you do have a much higher percentage of the population who travel abroad.

But then you see adverts here for drugs that seem to have nasty side effects, and do not in the UK.

China, no idea.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does he have a severe medical condition, as why are you so concerned about medical insurance, and if he that chronically ill, should he be traveling 10,000 miles?

OP, you seem to be very worried, about covering your "bases".,.,..,for some reason.,.,.,.,if so then by all means get an insurance policy.,.,.,...that has no fine print.,.,.,and covers your concerns.,.,.,.,WHICH.,.,..,.,you have not disclosed to this forum.,.,,.at least I have not seen, you saying why insurance is so important.,..,for a 64 year old man.,..,.,.my gosh.,.,.many 64 year old Americans are still working,..,.,but yes some do have medical problems.,.,.,but you are so precise with your insurance coverage makes me wonder.,.,.,.any way.,..good luck on his visit! Hope no health issues.

Timeline

I thought pretty much everybody is concerned about Medical issues in the US, I spent 3 nights in a Hospital, less than $1,000.

But that was in Sri Lanka, very different here.

I was a lot younger and arrived with no medical issues, it was a silly accident.

Does he have a severe medical condition, as why are you so concerned about medical insurance, and if he that chronically ill, should he be traveling 10,000 miles?

OP, you seem to be very worried, about covering your "bases".,.,..,for some reason.,.,.,.,if so then by all means get an insurance policy.,.,.,...that has no fine print.,.,.,and covers your concerns.,.,.,.,WHICH.,.,..,.,you have not disclosed to this forum.,.,,.at least I have not seen, you saying why insurance is so important.,..,for a 64 year old man.,..,.,.my gosh.,.,.many 64 year old Americans are still working,..,.,but yes some do have medical problems.,.,.,but you are so precise with your insurance coverage makes me wonder.,.,.,.any way.,..good luck on his visit! Hope no health issues.

When I lived in the UK I never travelled outside the EU area without travel insurance - and that included being a fit and healthy 20 year old. But the travel insurance policies were relatively inexpensive. And if I was skiing or canoeing then I got special sports travel insurance too.

I'm always surprised how many Americans travel overseas without travel insurance. It covers major medical expenses plus travel delays, cancellations and lost luggage etc. (depending on the policy you choose)

Some people just like to have all their bases covered just in case.

Timeline

Visitors health insurance does not cover chronic medical conditions, It's mostly for unforeseen medical events. If someone has chronic medical issues they need to evaluate whether it's wise to visit to the USA in the first place. Medical insurance is so someone doesn't get a $20000 bill from slipping on ice or breaking an ankle.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.