dontlongdistance

Will Joint-Sponsorship or Loan from parents work as financial proof for Fiance Visa?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most RECENT tax return is required, which doesn't mean pick a year, currently 2013 is the most recent tax return, in a few months 2014 will be the most recent tax return.

If you have a new job with adequate income and no tax return you will need a letter from your employer for sure, along with copies of pay stubs. I would suggest a letter from you as well explaining your situation.

The money as an asset, even if it were your's would not be accepted by USEM, the interest on the money would be accepted as income.

I am not a pro on the spousal visa, but once married and in possession of the marriage certificate the CR-1 process is not much longer than the K-1 process (6 - 9 months most times). For use NOT 7 years.... :lol:

okay thank you hank :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So my question is, is what I'm planning correct? Would I be allowed and be successful in applying and having financial proof by joint-sponsorship from older sis or have a current bank balance of 75,000 by asking a loan from parents? I'm ready to process fiance visa but i just need these answers first. Thank you for your time.
I believe Manila frowns upon the use of cosponsors for K-1 visas, but not as much for CR-1 visas.
Visit the regional forum to learn more about this country-specific question.
Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Most RECENT tax return is required, which doesn't mean pick a year, currently 2013 is the most recent tax return, in a few months 2014 will be the most recent tax return.

If you have a new job with adequate income and no tax return you will need a letter from your employer for sure, along with copies of pay stubs. I would suggest a letter from you as well explaining your situation.

The money as an asset, even if it were your's would not be accepted by USEM, the interest on the money would be accepted as income.

I am not a pro on the spousal visa, but once married and in possession of the marriage certificate the CR-1 process is not much longer than the K-1 process (6 - 9 months most times). For use NOT 7 years.... :lol:

Many people will disagree with me; however, I think visa journey should also be a place for advice that goes beyond the logistics of obtaining the visa and its procedures. The #1 cause of divorce is money. The situation with which you are presenting is a very difficult one. Borrowing a loan, of $75,000, is an enormous sum that should not be taken lightly, especially at your age. You are underestimating the financial burden it would cause on you, your family, and your spouse in the future. In a sense, maybe the marriage visa is your best option. For starters, the fees are cheaper than a fiance visa. From my estimation, the total cost not including transportation to and from the embassy on interview and lodging expenses, easily exceed $2,000 once the AOS status is complete -- meaning the receipt of the first green card. You need to take this into account as well. You could also use time. By going the marriage route, I believe you have about a year to find a job considering the length of the process, meaning earning income for yourself and your spouse. It doesn't have to be a lot, just something to help with the added costs. How far away are you from graduating? If you haven't lived with your spouse before, those will be added challenges as well. I suggest think things through and don't rush. If you are a couple years away from graduating maybe your parents money could be used to visit your fiance during the summer off periods and or Christamss. Once you graduate you can get a decent paying job and support a family without assistance.

If you possibly could not live without her, well go ahead and get her to the US as fast as you can and figure everything out later. Just be open about the challenges and don't put yourself in debt. Embrace that things will be difficult, and you will probably win half the battle. Let her know that it won't be easy so she is ready for the challenge as well.

Good luck!!

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Many people will disagree with me; however, I think visa journey should also be a place for advice that goes beyond the logistics of obtaining the visa and its procedures. The #1 cause of divorce is money. The situation with which you are presenting is a very difficult one. Borrowing a loan, of $75,000, is an enormous sum that should not be taken lightly, especially at your age. You are underestimating the financial burden it would cause on you, your family, and your spouse in the future. In a sense, maybe the marriage visa is your best option. For starters, the fees are cheaper than a fiance visa. From my estimation, the total cost not including transportation to and from the embassy on interview and lodging expenses, easily exceed $2,000 once the AOS status is complete -- meaning the receipt of the first green card. You need to take this into account as well. You could also use time. By going the marriage route, I believe you have about a year to find a job considering the length of the process, meaning earning income for yourself and your spouse. It doesn't have to be a lot, just something to help with the added costs. How far away are you from graduating? If you haven't lived with your spouse before, those will be added challenges as well. I suggest think things through and don't rush. If you are a couple years away from graduating maybe your parents money could be used to visit your fiance during the summer off periods and or Christamss. Once you graduate you can get a decent paying job and support a family without assistance.

If you possibly could not live without her, well go ahead and get her to the US as fast as you can and figure everything out later. Just be open about the challenges and don't put yourself in debt. Embrace that things will be difficult, and you will probably win half the battle. Let her know that it won't be easy so she is ready for the challenge as well.

Good luck!!

I am guessing you meant to post this to the OP...

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I am guessing you meant to post this to the OP...

Yeah. sorry. i just saw the flag and quoted.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

Timeline

Good luck!!

thank you msbau764.

your post was very heartfelt and you bring up very good points. i am taking that sum too lightly and being selfish. i just started community college so it would take me a couple years just to graduate from that and then transfer ( maybe ).

really? $2000? for my fiance to interview at manila, philippines?

im slowly accepting that i might have to go with marriage visa. if so, that'll mean added time for her to come here :(. time till i marry her, then more time for marriage process :clock:. if only visas weren't needed, am i right?

i will try my best to embrace this :) thank you again!

Edited by tittywafflez

Filed: Timeline

If your parents are willing to loan you $75K, why don't you just ask them to be a co-sponsor? Its very common to have a co-sponsor for a CR1 visa. If you suddenly get a lot more assets, yes, that will negatively affect your financial aid/health insurance subsidies.

Timeline

If your parents are willing to loan you $75K, why don't you just ask them to be a co-sponsor? Its very common to have a co-sponsor for a CR1 visa. If you suddenly get a lot more assets, yes, that will negatively affect your financial aid/health insurance subsidies.

hi brownbella. the $75k was planned for fiance visa, in which i needed about $100k assets. i wanted to go with this route since it was the least time consuming route. but if i go with marriage visa yes i will ask my sister or parents to be co-sponsor. thank you :)

Timeline

thank you msbau764.

your post was very heartfelt and you bring up very good points. i am taking that sum too lightly and being selfish. i just started community college so it would take me a couple years just to graduate from that and then transfer ( maybe ).

really? $2000? for my fiance to interview at manila, philippines?

im slowly accepting that i might have to go with marriage visa. if so, that'll mean added time for her to come here :(. time till i marry her, then more time for marriage process :clock:. if only visas weren't needed, am i right?

i will try my best to embrace this :) thank you again!

I-129F filing fee=$340

K-1 interview application fee (after petition is approved)=$240

Adjustment of Status (I-485)=$1070

none of this include fees associated with mailing, flying your fiance to the States, photos, etc.

My wife and I were married in the Philippines therefore we went the CR1 route. It takes about 10 months from the time you file the I-130 to get her here in the USA. The timelines for the CR1 process should be very close to that time frame. It takes about 5 months to approve the I-130 at the USCIS. Once approved, the paperwork is forwarded to the NVC where it takes about another 5 months to get her interview. Then two more weeks to get her Visa package sent to her home. The good news about this process is it is actually cheaper overall than the K1 process. It just takes longer and she can work after she gets her green card (2 weeks after arriving in US).

If you decide to marry her in the Philippines, you will need to get an affidavit of eligibility to marry her from the the US Embassy in Manila or at the US Consulate in Cebu (lower level of the Waterfront Hotel is where its located). If you have never been married, I just think you need to swear to that when obtaining affidavit but if you have been married, you will need to bring original or certificated copy of divorce decree with you. Do not give them the original copy. Have a copy and retain the original.

After you have the affidavit of eligibility, you will need to take that to the city office and apply for a marriage license. Then you have to wait 10 days before you are eligible to marry and most towns require you to attend marriage seminar for one day. Not a big deal. Its more intended to prepare locals on the responsibility of marriage, etc.

Once married, your wife will need to obtain copies of the marriage certificate from the NSO in the Philippines. She will then also want to get her new passport with her married name. She will also need to get certified copy of birth certificate for her. I recommend getting multiple copies of each (3 each). She and you will need these for the I-130 and for her interview at US embassy in Manila.

Go to forums on this website for the Philippines for more information.

It took about 1-1/2 months after we were married to obtain a marriage certificate from the NSO.

She will also need to get a police certificate from the NBI in the Philippines for the I-130 to ensure that she does not have a criminal pass.

I recommend the CR1 because I have read too many times on this website where the Philippines will not approve co-sponsor for a K1 but they have no choice because that is not determined by them for the CR1 process. That is done here in the USA at the NVC.

Timeline

I-129F filing fee=$340

K-1 interview application fee (after petition is approved)=$240

Adjustment of Status (I-485)=$1070

none of this include fees associated with mailing, flying your fiance to the States, photos, etc.

Also for a K-1 tack on:

Trip to the Philippines to gather photos & passport/receipt evidence you met her within 2 years if you haven't done so yet: $1200 - $3000 (includes tickets and expenses, costs are cheaper if you stay with her family).

Engagement ring (not necessary but if you are going to do it, do it right and make her feel special): $500 - $5000

Medical exam fee: $150

CFO Fee: $35

Airplane ticket for her arrival: $800-1200

Marriage license: $15 - $25

Marriage fee (some judges/mayors would ask for a donation): $50 - $200

:)

so whats an acceptable way? is the only way of me acquiring that myself? there's no way to turn to another for money?

No. What you are suggesting is deceitful to say the least, perhaps immigration fraud. If you "borrow" the money from your parents it's not really yours now is it? I also think you would need more like 100,000. But they will be suspicious if suddenly you have 100,000 in your saving when you have no job.

Also for a K-1 tack on:

Trip to the Philippines to gather photos & passport/receipt evidence you met her within 2 years if you haven't done so yet: $1200 - $3000 (includes tickets and expenses, costs are cheaper if you stay with her family).

Engagement ring (not necessary but if you are going to do it, do it right and make her feel special): $500 - $5000

Medical exam fee: $150

CFO Fee: $35

Airplane ticket for her arrival: $800-1200

Marriage license: $15 - $25

Marriage fee (some judges/mayors would ask for a donation): $50 - $200

:)

Add to this two round trip tickets to Manila if she comes from another place, such as Cebu. (Medical and interview) Somtimes an attorney is used to facilitate the weddeing documents. We did this at a cost of 100 dollars and it was worth it. The attorney hired the pastor, prepared and submitted documents required, etc... This way we got to leave on our honeymoon immediately following the ceremony. Add another round trip ticket for yourself if you plan to attend the interview wth her in Manila. They allow you to go in to the embassy there. I feel for us that was pivotal in the issuance of her visa. We have a big age difference and the CO was happy to see I was there and supporting my wife. The CO asked me more questions than she did my wife. My wife and I boarded the plane to leave Manila 8 months to the day after our first documents were filed. Good Luck and God Bless.

Edited by David & Zoila

Timeline

No. What you are suggesting is deceitful to say the least, perhaps immigration fraud. If you "borrow" the money from your parents it's not really yours now is it? I also think you would need more like 100,000. But they will be suspicious if suddenly you have 100,000 in your saving when you have no job.

Thanks for informing. It was previously brought to my attention already by Hank. Again fraud isn't my intention and I only got that method as advice from another. Your right, it would be suspicious so marriage visa seems more suitable now.

Timeline

My wife and I were married in the Philippines therefore we went the CR1 route. It takes about 10 months from the time you file the I-130 to get her here in the USA. The timelines for the CR1 process should be very close to that time frame. It takes about 5 months to approve the I-130 at the USCIS. Once approved, the paperwork is forwarded to the NVC where it takes about another 5 months to get her interview. Then two more weeks to get her Visa package sent to her home. The good news about this process is it is actually cheaper overall than the K1 process. It just takes longer and she can work after she gets her green card (2 weeks after arriving in US).

If you decide to marry her in the Philippines, you will need to get an affidavit of eligibility to marry her from the the US Embassy in Manila or at the US Consulate in Cebu (lower level of the Waterfront Hotel is where its located). If you have never been married, I just think you need to swear to that when obtaining affidavit but if you have been married, you will need to bring original or certificated copy of divorce decree with you. Do not give them the original copy. Have a copy and retain the original.

After you have the affidavit of eligibility, you will need to take that to the city office and apply for a marriage license. Then you have to wait 10 days before you are eligible to marry and most towns require you to attend marriage seminar for one day. Not a big deal. Its more intended to prepare locals on the responsibility of marriage, etc.

Once married, your wife will need to obtain copies of the marriage certificate from the NSO in the Philippines. She will then also want to get her new passport with her married name. She will also need to get certified copy of birth certificate for her. I recommend getting multiple copies of each (3 each). She and you will need these for the I-130 and for her interview at US embassy in Manila.

Go to forums on this website for the Philippines for more information.

It took about 1-1/2 months after we were married to obtain a marriage certificate from the NSO.

She will also need to get a police certificate from the NBI in the Philippines for the I-130 to ensure that she does not have a criminal pass.

I recommend the CR1 because I have read too many times on this website where the Philippines will not approve co-sponsor for a K1 but they have no choice because that is not determined by them for the CR1 process. That is done here in the USA at the NVC.

thank you for providing a very helpful and informative post. all of these cr1 route info saves me a lot of time for researching myself. thank you again :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.