pocheros

I have credit, but can't get my report

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all, I immigrated here on a K1 visa in September 2011. Since then I have obtained two credit cards, bank accounts at a credit union (joint with DH and my own account), taken out and paid back a signature loan, paid off medical bills, got and held a job, filed taxes, etc. However my SSN was issued after summer 2011 which if I understand correctly, causes some kerfuffles (it did with my background checks when I applied for jobs. Pain in the butt.)

I KNOW I have a credit rating because I applied for a mortgage at the bank and I asked them what my credit was and they told me. However, whenever I go to request my free annual credit report online it can't find me. I haven't yet requested my report over the phone or in writing yet, but I want to know what other VJers experiences are. Does requesting your report over the phone or through the mail yield useful results? Or is it useless? Is there an easier way to find out my credit rating?

Thanks in advance.

I did it yesterday and it worked. Used this web, it's free https://www.creditkarma.com/

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

Timeline

Sorry if this sounds rude, but is it legit? I only try the 3 credit companies listed on annualcreditreport.com. I don't want to get scammed. Pretty sure annualcreditreport is the only real one.

Edited by pocheros

You can request your credit reports for free from all 3 credit bureaus which is what I would do in your shoes. You likely have to call or request the reports by mail.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Some confusion in here.

You are entitled to one free copy of your credit report a year. Note that this is your credit report only, and contains no credit scores. You can get this report from here: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

There are also other services (some free, like the aforementioned Credit Karma, some paid) which will give you access to your credit scores at one or more of the three major credit bureaus (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax). I use Credit Karma (they pull from TransUnion) and the service is as described, free access to your TransUnion score, and now free access to your TransUnion report also. I have nothing bad to say about them.

There is also Credit Sesame (which pulls from Experian) and another that I forget the name of right now, which pulls from Equifax. Credit Sesame couldn't verify my identity and so wouldn't let me sign up, and if I rack my brain some more I can probably come up with the third.

(Edit) The third is Mint, which pulls from Equifax.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

I registered yesterday and saw all credit inquiries banks made in the past, when applying for the mortgage,car loan and so on. And it shows all credit cards I have. All info is accurate. But I don't know if the credit score is really accurate on this website. I hope someone knows better than me.

Edited by Taureti

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

Remember also that your credit "score" is weighted differently depending on what purpose it's being used for.

If you're applying for a car loan, your credit score may well be different than if you are applying for a mortgage loan or store credit card. The lenders weight the score depending on your history with that type of debt.

For instance my son's "Credit score" with the 3 reporting bureau was 776 but when he went to buy a car it was only 714 because he had never had a car loan before which of course completely changed the rate he could get!

Confused and irritated the heck out of me for a long time. My score should be my score no matter what but they use it to ensure they make the most profit!!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

Thanks for the replies, folks, that clears a lot up. I didn't know scores could be flexible like that. Also the distinction between scores and reports is important! :P

Edited by pocheros

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Also remember that you get one free report (NOT score, as someone mentioned already) per year from EACH of the three companies (Experian, Equifax, and Transunion). You do not have to request all three at the same time. Spacing them out like that could help you keep a constant eye on your credit and help catch things like identity theft without having to wait a whole year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

To add - for more than a year I could get my credit report from Experian but not from the other two - was getting exactly same message as OP and at the time had some substantial history/# of credit accounts.

As for the score - people often got hung up on them, especially if after 6 months they see something like 750 on Credit Karma - that is unfortunately not very relevant - as one of the posters above mentioned, history and its length make huge impact...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.