Not a Tailor

In the 20 states where gay marriage bans remain, what's next?

140 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think there are practical, legitimate reasons for why polygamous marriages are not a good idea.

The first is abuse - as it legitimises the sort of things that go in cults. The second is fraud.

There are laws against both.

If you're saying that polygamy/polyandry can't happen without abuse and/or fraud, I would disagree.

BTW - Islam isn't a "cult".

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I believe it can only exist within a very narrow cultural frame of reference. You may notice that all of the religious examples of this involve a man collecting multiple wives and not the other way around.

I believe it can only exist within a very narrow cultural frame of reference. You may notice that all of the religious examples of this involve a man collecting multiple wives and not the other way around.

Islam is way too widespread to be referred to as a "narrow cultural frame of reference"..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It makes more sense for one man to be with multiple women from the procreation point of view. Higher chances of success. Lots of examples in the animal kingdom. Yes yes, humans have love and all that noise.

It makes more sense for one man to be with multiple women from the procreation point of view. Higher chances of success. Lots of examples in the animal kingdom. Yes yes, humans have love and all that noise.

This is/was really the only upside of polygamy, but with modern medicine it really isn't a factor much anymore. The negatives of polygamy far outweigh any positives, if in fact there are any.

Love is not real.

I think you might just be on to something.

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

But that's rather similar to the arguments against gay marriage - suggesting that a relationship that's not based on a desire to procreate or the possibility of procreation is against nature. It's not a legitimate argument for or against any kind of human relationship.

The reason I said that was because I think that the people who would actually practice plural marriage (and would benefit from it's legalisation) would be the people who do so under an outmoded and sexist world view.

It should be clear to everyone here that the very fact that we're even discussing polygamy in relation to a thread about gay marriage, isn't about the issues being equivalent or even comparable, it's about pushing an agenda that permitting gay marriage amounts to opening Pandora's box. I don't believe that to be the case, and I don't think anyone here should either.

Timeline

Islam is way too widespread to be referred to as a "narrow cultural frame of reference"..

I'm not talking about the religion, because not everyone practices in the same way and not everyone who is muslim agrees with plural marriage. I mean that polygamy in the sense that people generally think about it is rooted in the rigidly conservative idea of a male dominated society.

I'm not talking about the religion, because not everyone practices in the same way and not everyone who is muslim agrees with plural marriage. I mean that polygamy in the sense that people generally think about it is rooted in the rigidly conservative idea of a male dominated society.

Polygamy is a pretty fundamental aspect of Islam.