Not a Tailor

In the 20 states where gay marriage bans remain, what's next?

140 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

don't you love in londonistan?

I read Pakistani news sites a lot on Facebook. I have been struck by one thing - the near constant references to the London Metropolitan Police. Just yesterday, one politician told another one that if they don't control their people, they will go whining to the London cops. Why the London cops? It's as if London was just another extension of Pakistan. A good third of Pakistani political developments actually happen in London. It's pretty funny. The colonizer has now become the colony.

It's not relevant to our society.

for no good reason. it's not unlike the prejudices in past era against miscegenation.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I read Pakistani news sites a lot on Facebook. I have been struck by one thing - the near constant references to the London Metropolitan Police. Just yesterday, one politician told another one that if they don't control their people, they will go whining to the London cops. Why the London cops? It's as if London was just another extension of Pakistan. A good third of Pakistani political developments actually happen in London. It's pretty funny. The colonizer has now become the colony.

for no good reason. it's not unlike the prejudices in past era against miscegenation.

London has some ethnic Pakistani areas, not unlike many other European cities.

On the bolded, it's completely different. Secular western society is supposed to be egalitarian (or at least aims to be), how does it benefit anyone to legitimise a backward practice based on a sexist view of social order?

Secular western society is supposed to be egalitarian (or at least aims to be), how does it benefit anyone to legitimise a backward practice based on a sexist view of social order?

Did you just call Islam backward and sexist? I never thought you'd come out as so openly Islamophobic.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Idaho and Nevada joined the marriage equality club today... The naysayers are a dwindling minority as it stands...

Back to the topic at hand which - surprise, surprise - is not polygamy, incest or bestiality. The topic at hand is marriage equality.

It is interesting to note that the majority of the American population lives in states which provide marriage equality.

silvermccann-datalab-gay-marriage1.png

silver-datalab-gaymarriage-map.png

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's about time that the naysayers became a minority. Honestly. It seems so strange to me that a country can be a country with federal laws that are influenced by marriage stuff and not be at an agreement about what marriage is and is not.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

It's about time that the naysayers became a minority. Honestly. It seems so strange to me that a country can be a country with federal laws that are influenced by marriage stuff and not be at an agreement about what marriage is and is not.

That is strange, indeed. But it's about to be resolved. A couple years back, I said it would be resolved in my lifetime. Now it is all but certain that it will be resolved this decade. And the forces of yesterday - yes, I am speaking about you my religious right wing nut friends - are losing on this issue as they have and will continue to lose on each and every issue. Progress can be fought and it can be delayed but it cannot be halted.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm glad it's going to be resolved soon. My wife works for a state university. The state constitution does not allow same sex marriages to be recognized so HR at the university is not permitted to offer me anything in the way of benefits--health insurance, etc. So we'll have to pay two entirely separate health insurance policies because of that. I'm sort of hoping that something happens to force things to move a little faster in Texas so that maybe, just maybe, it will be fixed by the time I'm down there. It never occurred to us until she went to talk to the HR folks that they might not offer me benefits!

I'm trying to figure out what happens if it changes shortly after I get there. If it means that it will be an open enrollment period or what. Because if so, if it looks like it will be overturned within a month or two of my arrival in the US, it might be worth just trying very hard not to get sick and going on hers.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Love is not real.

You have never seen my wife in the Michael Kors store.

That is strange, indeed. But it's about to be resolved. A couple years back, I said it would be resolved in my lifetime. Now it is all but certain that it will be resolved this decade. And the forces of yesterday - yes, I am speaking about you my religious right wing nut friends - are losing on this issue as they have and will continue to lose on each and every issue. Progress can be fought and it can be delayed but it cannot be halted.

I am glad it's being fixed. All people should be equal under the law.

BTW referring to people that are religious and right wing as nuts, attacks a whole demographic of people and is against the TOS. Not that I give a S, just pointing out I have seen threads shut down for saying the same same about liberals.

I would report it, but I made a blood pack never to report anything you do, less they make me ignore each other again. That was hard on me, not having Mr. Big Dog to toss around lOL

Edited by The Nature Boy

I am glad it's being fixed. All people should be equal under the law.

BTW referring to people that are religious and right wing as nuts, attacks a whole demographic of people and is against the TOS. Not that I give a S, just pointing out I have seen threads shut down for saying the same same about liberals.

I would report it, but I made a blood pack never to report anything you do, less they make me ignore each other again. That was hard on me, not having Mr. Big Dog to toss around lOL

*pact

(that annoyed me enough to get me to log on and type on the old handphone)