Not a Tailor

In the 20 states where gay marriage bans remain, what's next?

140 posts in this topic

So basically polygamy won't be legalized until enough people want it and fight to get laws changed. Not that it's so much more perverse than gay marriage, rather that folks desiring polygamous marriages have to fight just as guys did.

Is that what you're saying?

Because currently the law doesn't allow them to do so. In order to change that, legislation would need to be changed. It is no different than any other change in legislation in our country.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Correct. Polygamy won't be legalized until someone challenges the existing laws and makes a compelling case so that these laws are changed. There are processes for that. Divorce was already one step in that direction in that it redefined marriage and allowed for a man to have more than one wife and v.v.

So basically polygamy won't be legalized until enough people want it and fight to get laws changed. Not that it's so much more perverse than gay marriage, rather that folks desiring polygamous marriages have to fight just as guys did.

Is that what you're saying?

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not trying to compare polygamy to gay marriage other than from the POV that if two people are free to marry (regardless of sex), why not three or more? What if three guys want to marry? Why can't they?

Have you actually thought it through?

Timeline

Correct. Polygamy won't be legalized until someone challenges the existing laws and makes a compelling case so that these laws are changed. There are processes for that. Divorce was already one step in that direction in that it redefined marriage and allowed for a man to have more than one wife and v.v.

One of the big issues there is how it would affect laws outside of just marriage.

Timeline

Absolutely. There are several consequences to be considered and I don't want to go into that because it is a much broader discussion. However, fact remains that the process to change or enact a law is the same.

One of the big issues there is how it would affect laws outside of just marriage.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Absolutely. There are several consequences to be considered and I don't want to go into that because it is a much broader discussion. However, fact remains that the process to change or enact a law is the same.

Oh indeed. No argument there.

The other thing to consider is how widespread the public pressure is to support that. I mean, who exactly are the people who want polygamy to be legalised?

My guess, it'll be religious fundamentalists. I can't see too many people wanting to get on that bandwagon.

Timeline

I don't think there would be much public support either, but then again, it is something for the legal system to address if/when we get there.

Oh indeed. No argument there.

The other thing to consider is how widespread the public pressure is to support that. I mean, who exactly are the people who want polygamy to be legalised?

My guess, it'll be religious fundamentalists. I can't see too many people wanting to get on that bandwagon.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Have you actually thought it through?

Well, since I prefer the fairer sex only, and can't see myself trying to satisfy more than one at a time, no.

What are some of these problems you see arising from legalizing polygamy? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to sully up this thread, probably best not to mix up the concepts too much...

Timeline

Since you're married to a Pinay, I'd say that is very wise of you to think so. I can see how any other approach could severely compromise your life expectancy! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, since I prefer the fairer sex only, and can't see myself trying to satisfy more than one at a time, no.

What are some of these problems you see arising from legalizing polygamy? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to sully up this thread, probably best not to mix up the concepts too much...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Fraud?

Legitimising abuse of vulnerable people?

You don't need to ask me - there's plenty of stuff online about it.

Fraud would go away if polygamy were legalized.

And says who that all polygamous marriages are abusive? Not everyone who wants multiple spouses plans to abuse them, I'm sure.

As to abuse, there is more than a fair share of that in ANY type of relationship already, marriage or otherwise.

Timeline

Fraud would go away if polygamy were legalized.

And says who that all polygamous marriages are abusive? Not everyone who wants multiple spouses plans to abuse them, I'm sure.

As to abuse, there is more than a fair share of that in ANY type of relationship already, marriage or otherwise.

The debate on this issue is a lot wider than VJ. If you're interested - the information is out there to be sought out.

If you're interested in polygamy you can find out quite easily who are the sorts of people who go in for it and exactly why it isn't legal. It's not some lofty theoretical position.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not trying to compare polygamy to gay marriage other than from the POV that if two people are free to marry (regardless of sex), why not three or more? What if three guys want to marry? Why can't they?

Well, the opening of the door for gay marriage should not lead you to that consideration. Not anymore than allowing gay marriage should force us to consider now whether or not we should put a Starbucks on the moon.

Since you're married to a Pinay, I'd say that is very wise of you to think so. I can see how any other approach could severely compromise your life expectancy! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good point, excellent, in fact. They can be lovely and loving, but give them even a SMIDGEN of a reason to be jealous, and WATCH OUT!!

Timeline

Well, the opening of the door for gay marriage should not lead you to that consideration. Not anymore than allowing gay marriage should force us to consider now whether or not we should put a Starbucks on the moon.

Exactly it's put out there as a bait and switch argument by people who don't approve of gay marriage and want to stick it to people who do.