JoeMama

INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I remember going over the question of what does IMBRA actually mean and if I qualified to list it? It is fairly simple. If you had met through any website which they are for "profit" and do charge money, whether you paid for their services or not, it qualifies for IMBRA. Regardless, of where the company is based ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD. Religious based organizations are exempt. It is not a big deal whether you met through a paid site or not. How the two of you had met needs to be disclosed.

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I remember going over the question of what does IMBRA actually mean and if I qualified to list it? It is fairly simple. If you had met through any website which they are for "profit" and do charge money, whether you paid for their services or not, it qualifies for IMBRA. Regardless, of where the company is based ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD. Religious based organizations are exempt. It is not a big deal whether you met through a paid site or not. How the two of you had met needs to be disclosed.

Except it isn't that simple. I'll repeat once more.

Religious based organizations are not the only exception. I'm amazed at how often this little section gets overlooked.

"The Non-Primary Business with Comparable Rates": a domestic dating service or other primary service whose principal business is NOT international dating and which charges comparable rates for comparable services to all individuals, men and women, domestic and foreign."

For example, I met my wife through the same dating website I met several other local women and a couple long distance relationships over about three years. There are relatively few profiles on the site for people outside the USA. The site is not and IMB. It is a domestic dating service whose principal business is NOT international dating and which charges comparable rates for comparable services to all men and women, domestic and foreign.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree there are other exemptions such as you mentioned.

The bad part about IMBRA is not the way it is being enforced now but the potential for the future. The teeth are in the law, they are just not biting yet.

Under IMBRA any MOB agencies are required to obtain a criminal background check on you before you are allowed to contact anyone. Right now very few agencies are doing that. The potential is there to levy big fines to them and to deny a visa to you under those regualations.

Someday we may look back on this as the good olde days.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
I agree there are other exemptions such as you mentioned.

The bad part about IMBRA is not the way it is being enforced now but the potential for the future. The teeth are in the law, they are just not biting yet.

Under IMBRA any MOB agencies are required to obtain a criminal background check on you before you are allowed to contact anyone. Right now very few agencies are doing that. The potential is there to levy big fines to them and to deny a visa to you under those regualations.

Someday we may look back on this as the good olde days.

I completely agree but prefer to think we will someday look back at these as the long gone IMBRA days.

The law has teeth but is so poorly written it is clearly unenforceable and very likely unconstitutional to boot. Here's to the repeal of IMBRA. Really, I have no axe to grind in this. I'm pre-IMBRA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So am I correct in assuming that Yahoo personals, eharmony, match and the ilk are NOT IMB?

We met on Yahoo and moved to phone after one email so I marked NOT and IMB. but i am baffled by the wording.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
So am I correct in assuming that Yahoo personals, eharmony, match and the ilk are NOT IMB?

We met on Yahoo and moved to phone after one email so I marked NOT and IMB. but i am baffled by the wording.

They are excluded from the definition

YMMV

Oh, how I wish I never came across this topic... I was so happy in my ignorance. :whistle:

OK, here is another angle to this. What would happen to a K-1 application if we didn't tick IMB box on our I-129F form? We simply assumed that because we met on a dating site aimed for predominantly strictly religious people that it would be excluded from the IMBRA. We both paid fees and the membership is predominantly American but not exclusive. Would the USCIS consider we lied on our petition? We genuinely thought that because in our religion most people meet through a marriage broker that dating site isn't it. We never meant to mislead anybody but we are obviously clueless and until I read these posts, I didn't have an inkling that we could have potentially have done something wrong. Also, what exactly is a religious organisation? Would a dating site based on religious preference be deemed as exempt under IMBRA?

I'm more confused then ever.... :unsure:

Can anybody shed some light on this please?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AOS timeline

I-485,I-765 & I-131 sent: 07-27-2009

Arrived at Chicago lockbox: 07-29-2009

NOA (for all 3): 08-03-2009

Transfer to CSC: 08-26-2009

Touched I-485: 09-01, 02, 03 & 04-2009

Biometrics appointment: 09-02-2009

AP received: 09-18-2009

EAD card received: 09-21-2009

AOS approved: 10-15-2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fed8ac68ff.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Oh, how I wish I never came across this topic... I was so happy in my ignorance. :whistle:

OK, here is another angle to this. What would happen to a K-1 application if we didn't tick IMB box on our I-129F form? We simply assumed that because we met on a dating site aimed for predominantly strictly religious people that it would be excluded from the IMBRA. We both paid fees and the membership is predominantly American but not exclusive. Would the USCIS consider we lied on our petition? We genuinely thought that because in our religion most people meet through a marriage broker that dating site isn't it. We never meant to mislead anybody but we are obviously clueless and until I read these posts, I didn't have an inkling that we could have potentially have done something wrong. Also, what exactly is a religious organisation? Would a dating site based on religious preference be deemed as exempt under IMBRA?

I'm more confused then ever.... :unsure:

Can anybody shed some light on this please?

based on what you wrote, on the surface it sounds like they are NOT an IMB

YMMV

based on what you wrote, on the surface it sounds like they are NOT an IMB

Thanks payxibka. That’s what we thought but as you said yourself it appears to be "on the surface". This is why I'm so confused, it could easily swing either way... talk about walking on thin ice. I've emailed the site asking whether, in their opinion, they come under IMBRA or not. Now I just need to wait for the reply. Getting used to this waiting game...

However, if we assume that they are IMB, how would the USCIS and CO look at it if we, completely unintentionally, did not declare that we met through IMB (we did mention the name of the website on the application form)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AOS timeline

I-485,I-765 & I-131 sent: 07-27-2009

Arrived at Chicago lockbox: 07-29-2009

NOA (for all 3): 08-03-2009

Transfer to CSC: 08-26-2009

Touched I-485: 09-01, 02, 03 & 04-2009

Biometrics appointment: 09-02-2009

AP received: 09-18-2009

EAD card received: 09-21-2009

AOS approved: 10-15-2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fed8ac68ff.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Does anyone know if http://worldfriends.tv qualifies as an IMB? I said it wasn't on my I-129F, but gave the URL in my description of how we met.

I would think it fits into the exemption, as it does not cater specifically to Americans, or for dating/marriage. But, you never know. If someone handling my petition deems it to be an IMB, what problems will I face?

10-28-2008 - I-129F petition in the mail

11-03-2008 - NOA1

03-26-2009 - NOA2

04-23-2009 - P3

06-11-2009 - P4

07-16-2009 - interview - APPROVED

07-22-2009 - visa in hand

08-05-2009 - US entry

09-13-2009 - wedding

10-20-2009 - AOS application in the mail

10-28-2009 - NOA

11-25-2009 - biometrics appointment

12-18-2009 - EAD approved

12-22-2009 - EAD card received

01-28-2010 - interview - APPROVED

02-12-2010 - green card received

11-07-2011 - I-751 petition in the mail

11-10-2011 - NOA

12-30-2011 - biometrics appointment

08-13-2012 - approval

03-28-2013 - N-400 application in the mail

04-02-2013 - NOA

04-30-2013 - biometrics appointment

06-13-2013 - interview - APPROVED

08-26-2013 - oath

Timeline
Does anyone know if http://worldfriends.tv qualifies as an IMB? I said it wasn't on my I-129F, but gave the URL in my description of how we met.

I would think it fits into the exemption, as it does not cater specifically to Americans, or for dating/marriage. But, you never know. If someone handling my petition deems it to be an IMB, what problems will I face?

You were right. It's not an IMB. I've seen no evidence it matters how you answer that question.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
You were right. It's not an IMB. I've seen no evidence it matters how you answer that question.

Thank you.

10-28-2008 - I-129F petition in the mail

11-03-2008 - NOA1

03-26-2009 - NOA2

04-23-2009 - P3

06-11-2009 - P4

07-16-2009 - interview - APPROVED

07-22-2009 - visa in hand

08-05-2009 - US entry

09-13-2009 - wedding

10-20-2009 - AOS application in the mail

10-28-2009 - NOA

11-25-2009 - biometrics appointment

12-18-2009 - EAD approved

12-22-2009 - EAD card received

01-28-2010 - interview - APPROVED

02-12-2010 - green card received

11-07-2011 - I-751 petition in the mail

11-10-2011 - NOA

12-30-2011 - biometrics appointment

08-13-2012 - approval

03-28-2013 - N-400 application in the mail

04-02-2013 - NOA

04-30-2013 - biometrics appointment

06-13-2013 - interview - APPROVED

08-26-2013 - oath

Filed: Timeline
Definition of an International Marriage Broker. “International marriage broker” is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts nonprofit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

The only current enforcement of IMBRA is in questioning how a couple met. Also, if applicants admit to having had more than two immigrant spouses then waivers are granted.

The GAO recently published a report about the status of IMBRA which report was required by IMBRA itself. I spoke with the authors of that report and provided them with information and contact information for source information. The report indicated that in many respects the government agencies responsible for IMBRA compliance - DHS, DOS and DOJ - are not complying with the law. Part of the reason for this is bureaucratic inertia and part of it is that many of those responsible for compliance with the law do not like the law.

The main organization which lobbied for the law and which claims that it authored the bill, Tahirih Justice Center, recently received a $1.1M earmark from the December appropriations bill passed by Congress. The purpose for the earmark was so that Tahirih could assist in enforcement of the law. Apart from the incongruity of having taxpayer money supplied to a feminist group to help enforce a dating law, it is certain that this money will be used to pressure the three agencies to enforce the law. And what with the GAO essentially admitting that the law is not being enforced, this organization will be able to use that report to force the government's hand.

And at some point the IMBRAists will be successful, either in convincing some US Attorney in one of the 93 federal districts to prosecute an IMB that has been targeted by Tahirih as an egregious violator of IMBRA (for PR purposes they will pick one that advertises women like cattle) or in convincing the USCIS to begin refusing visas to those who admit to using an IMB that does not comply with IMBRA.

In either case, the real fireworks will begin. And owner of an IMB who is indicted by a grand jury for a felony of allowing an American man to communicate with a foreign woman without doing the required background check on the man will surely hire a criminal lawyer who will attack the constitutionality of the law. Less certain is whether the men whose fiances are denied visas will take action. But I think that it is likely some of them will have the time and the means to challenge the law.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
The only current enforcement of IMBRA is in questioning how a couple met. Also, if applicants admit to having had more than two immigrant spouses then waivers are granted.

This is not correct. They are also enforcing the provision that requires answers to questions related to certain criminal convictions and if applicable they require the court records IMBRA requires.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.