zuroma999

Successful DV2015 Interview

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck with your interview. There were about 6 kids from different families there ranging from 2 years old to 10. Over the 2 hours I was there, 3 different infants (a few weeks/months old) came through as their parents were applying for passports for them.

There was the occasional baby crying or toddler talking or playing loudly. Not much you can do, so don't worry too much, and the receptionist there (the only one in the same area as the waiting room) seemed very friendly and understanding of all the noise. There is a tiny play area with some children's books and toys. The kids were playing with each other and mostly quiet. There is also a vending machine with some chips and chocolate bars that some parents needed to use to bribe their kids.

Thanks, my interview is at 8:30am and my hotel is 5min away walking you think is better if I show up 15 min before rather then 7:30am? Like everyone was saying they did? Edited by Jarodca

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Congrats for all, however i already filled the DV-2015 for my case 2015AS000137xx but still till now i didn’t get any feedback. what is the next step ? can anyone advice.

Thanks

Congrats for all, however i already filled the DV-2015 for my case 2015AS000137xx but still till now i didnt get any feedback. what is the next step ? can anyone advice.

Thanks

You won't hear anything else until your number is current and you are scheduled for interview.

In the meanwhile your next step is to start collecting your civil documents as per the instructions for selectees.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks, my interview is at 8:30am and my hotel is 5min away walking you think is better if I show up 15 min before rather then 7:30am? Like everyone was saying they did?

Yeah, I would say 15-30 mins before is better than going too early.

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number SA03xx - Born in Trinidad, WI / Grew up in Canada - Successful interview: Oct 2nd, 2014 @ Montreal

Filed: Timeline

They asked if I had a job offer, and when I said no, they asked for bank statements. If I didn't have statements, I'm sure they would've asked for an affidavit of support.

Congratulations first all,
How could you had job offer if you have not yet got visa ? Will employer wait for you several months? Why employer will give you job offer ? Or its common situation?

Timeline

Congratulations first all,

How could you had job offer if you have not yet got visa ? Will employer wait for you several months? Why employer will give you job offer ? Or its common situation?

It's probably not that common, but they ask anyways. It's possible that an applicant could have a job lined up, with the company willing to hire them only if they get their green card.

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number SA03xx - Born in Trinidad, WI / Grew up in Canada - Successful interview: Oct 2nd, 2014 @ Montreal

Timeline

If you're serious and have gone Google-crazy researching everything DV and Montreal related, you should have already come across Saylin's amazing post with description/pics of the U.S. Montreal consulate: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/359761-montreal-consulate-picturesmaps/?p=5252525

It's a couple years old, but still mostly applicable, including where to line up and sit in the waiting room.

The only things different:

1- it's not necessary to get there too early for your interview. 30 mins before is ok.

2- they have reorganized the room slightly. The bathrooms, play area and "windows with people behind them" are in different positions from Saylin's pic.

Edited by zuroma999

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Are you Canadian? Were there non-Canadian citizens there?

Born in Romania, been living in the US since 2007 (F1 visa)

F1 visa 2007-2011, 2011-2016 - OPT received August 25, 2014

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number EU30,7xx - Interview estimate: May/June 2015 (?) - Might try to do AOS though it looks like it might be worse this year

Timeline

Are you Canadian? Were there non-Canadian citizens there?

Yes, I'm Canadian and there were mostly non-Canadian citizens there (just permanent residents of Canada).

Timeline

Good luck with your interview. There were about 6 kids from different families there ranging from 2 years old to 10. Over the 2 hours I was there, 3 different infants (a few weeks/months old) came through as their parents were applying for passports for them.

There was the occasional baby crying or toddler talking or playing loudly. Not much you can do, so don't worry too much, and the receptionist there (the only one in the same area as the waiting room) seemed very friendly and understanding of all the noise. There is a tiny play area with some children's books and toys. The kids were playing with each other and mostly quiet. There is also a vending machine with some chips and chocolate bars that some parents needed to use to bribe their kids.

Thank you zuroma999, I think i saw somewhere that you said you're a Canadian citizen? If so here's something I found really interesting ( it could be the case for you too) about the banking and the credit history build in US, I do my banking with RBC and recently I called RBC in US to get information and benefit of opening an account with them in the south border, after almost an hour with RBC in canada and in the US over the phone I believe that will be a great start to get with start with them, why? For those reasons:

1- the account can be opened in canada in any branch for the US based chequing account and credit card, or over the phone with RBC US, and since they do have all you information already (if you're a client) you don't have to provide anything (you can provide your US SSN to apply for credit card or line of credit, mortgage if you have it, if not you can added it later) and you can start build your credit history by applying to credit cards ...

2- if you do have an account here you can link them and transferring the money between the two country is free via RBC , http://www.rbcbank.com/banking-in-the-us/checking-accounts/index.html

3- when you apply for credit card or loan mortgage ..., they can use your Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) to access your Canadian credit file and get the information we need to approve your application. Once your loan account is opened, you're building a credit history in the U.S. However, to ensure that your credit file is complete and reported accurately, you'll need a United States Social Security Number (SSN).

I found that interesting I though I share it here, I hope that will be helpful.

Thanks for sharing your experience again

Timeline

Thank you zuroma999, I think i saw somewhere that you said you're a Canadian citizen? If so here's something I found really interesting ( it could be the case for you too) about the banking and the credit history build in US, I do my banking with RBC and recently I called RBC in US to get information and benefit of opening an account with them in the south border...

Thanks for the info Jarodca, I had already opened an account with them! It is useful for all the Canadians (or anyone from other countries that have similar banking situations).

Over 15 years ago, when I was a fresh-faced young lad with no-credit history I went to the US on a work visa. It's surprisingly hard to get a decent credit card, cell phone, or rent an apartment with no history in the US. Banks were offering me only secured credit cards (where you have to have a large deposit on hand). Then finally RBC told me about RBC Bank and I opened an account and got a credit card fairly easily. I eventually built up an excellent credit rating down there.

This time around I've also signed up for a Forex service to convert all my CAD$ into US$ over the next few years whenever the exchange rate is favorable.

Good luck on your journey!

Timeline

Thanks for the info Jarodca, I had already opened an account with them! It is useful for all the Canadians (or anyone from other countries that have similar banking situations).

Over 15 years ago, when I was a fresh-faced young lad with no-credit history I went to the US on a work visa. It's surprisingly hard to get a decent credit card, cell phone, or rent an apartment with no history in the US. Banks were offering me only secured credit cards (where you have to have a large deposit on hand). Then finally RBC told me about RBC Bank and I opened an account and got a credit card fairly easily. I eventually built up an excellent credit rating down there.

This time around I've also signed up for a Forex service to convert all my CAD$ into US$ over the next few years whenever the exchange rate is favorable.

Thanks, looks like you got there first, I'll will be taking advice from you from now on :), I was thinking about how to convert my CAD$ to US$ with a good rate ( ones I got approved in November 6, let's hope so).

And I was looking for the good website to track my credit score as well.

Take care

Edited by Jarodca

Timeline

Hi Zuroma999,

A quick question for you did anyone in the consulate asked you for Affidavit of support (I-134)? or you just have to have enough in your back account? in that case how much is enough to cover the family of 3 persons ?

Thanks,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.