tarver56

Supporting Evidence for I-134 Affadavit of Support and federal income tax return

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

My fiancee is in Dhaka, Bangladesh and has received the checklist of documents she needs to prepare for her interview. However, their requests for the supporting evidence for the I-134 affidavit of support are proving mostly difficult and partially confusing. They require 3 years of my federal income tax returns and supporting W-2 forms, IRS-issued proof of payment showing taxes were paid and that the I-134 is notarized.

The confusing part is The IRS-issued proof of payment. What does this mean? Does this refer to some specific form that I need to obtain from the IRS? Will the IRS even know what I'm asking for? How long will this take to obtain?

The difficult part is obtaining 3 years of my federal income tax returns and supporting W-2 forms, I HAVE filed taxes for the past three years so that is not the issue. The issue is I no longer have any of my tax returns or W-2's on hand. According to the IRS website I need to mail in a form to get my tax returns and W-2 forms but the IRS website states it will take up to 75 days to process this request. Between processing time and the time it takes for them to receive my form and send me the requested items, it could take 3 months before I get what I need. By the time we get everything, the petition could expire before we can get an interview at that point.

Every government website, including the Dhaka US Embassy website, dhaka.usembassy.gov, indicates that for the I-134 I only need pay stubs, a letter verifying employment, salary, and a letter from the bank indicating various pieces of information about my accounts. All these things I prepared and have. If I had any idea I would need my tax returns for the past 3 years, I would have done this months ago when my fiancee and I started this process.

Has anyone dealt with this problem? We are short on time and need quick action to get these items gathered. I don't even know what an "IRS-issued proof of payment" is and I need to find a way to get my tax returns MUCH faster than 75 days. I have attached below a copy of the checklist sent to my fiancee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

K1 Checklist-Packet 3 (DS-160).pdf

You can request the last 3 years of your IRS tax returns from the IRS. It is easy to do and you can have them within 2 weeks. You should keep a copy of the tax returns or you will need to request them again when applying for a 10 year green card. Go to IRS website to request tax returns.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I was missing my 2012 tax return. I went to the irs.gov website and ordered my tax return transcript. There is also a phone number you can calI 1-800-829-1040. I ordered mine and received it within one week. If you read through the transcript, on the second to last page (pg 4) it shows "total payments". On that same page there is a "Taxes Paid" section as well. I would think this could suffice as proof of income tax payment.

I was also missing my W2 for that same year. I could not figure out how to print that from the website even though there is a download box for it, nothing would download. So I just made a copy of my last pay stub in December, 2012. It shows the YTD earnings. Hopefully that will work.

However, I am not familiar with ur Embassy requirements. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Edited by LionessDeon

You can request the last 3 years of your IRS tax returns from the IRS. It is easy to do and you can have them within 2 weeks. You should keep a copy of the tax returns or you will need to request them again when applying for a 10 year green card. Go to IRS website to request tax returns.

Thank you for your quick reply. I am just a little worried. The information is a bit non-specific as to whether the actual returns are needed or if the transcripts are enough.

I was missing my 2012 tax return. I went to the irs.gov website and ordered my tax return transcript. There is also a phone number you can calI 1-800-829-1040. I ordered mine and received it within one week. If you read through the transcript, on the second to last page (pg 4) it shows "total payments". On that same page there is a "Taxes Paid" section as well. I would think this could suffice as proof of income tax payment.

I was also missing my W2 for that same year. I could not figure out how to print that from the website even though there is a download box for it, nothing would download. So I just made a copy of my last pay stub in December, 2012. It shows the YTD earnings. Hopefully that will work.

However, I am not familiar with ur Embassy requirements. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Thanks. We don't really have an option to wait for 3 months for the actual returns. I have more than enough income to satisfy those requirements. Hopefully the transcripts will be enough. I managed to dig up my 2011 w-2 and my 2013 w-2. Hopefully I can find the 2012 W2 and get the transcripts and that will be enough.

I sent in transcripts because they are official documents directly from the IRS. Transcripts are better because they actually prove that you filed with the IRS.

Transcripts is what I provided for each step of the process for my wife. We are at the Citizenship phase and again, I had to submit transcripts for my tax returns.

You do not need to worry because it is better than sending copies of your original tax return that can be easily faked. Transcripts are better.

I sent in transcripts because they are official documents directly from the IRS. Transcripts are better because they actually prove that you filed with the IRS.

Transcripts is what I provided for each step of the process for my wife. We are at the Citizenship phase and again, I had to submit transcripts for my tax returns.

You do not need to worry because it is better than sending copies of your original tax return that can be easily faked. Transcripts are better.

Thank you. I just got off the phone with an IRS rep and ordered transcripts from them. I hope you're right and that they will satisfy the requirements.

Timeline

Thanks. We don't really have an option to wait for 3 months for the actual returns. I have more than enough income to satisfy those requirements. Hopefully the transcripts will be enough. I managed to dig up my 2011 w-2 and my 2013 w-2. Hopefully I can find the 2012 W2 and get the transcripts and that will be enough.

lol Something about the year 2012!

Good point! I'll order the other ones today! thanks.

lol Something about the year 2012!

Good point! I'll order the other ones today! thanks.

Mr. Tarver has managed to dig up his W2 forms from 2011 to 2013. Hopefully, this will be sufficient for meeting the requirement.

Congratulations, LionessDeon for getting the approval. Things will start progressing much faster. Please keep us in your prayers. :)

(The Beneficiary Maheen replying)

Timeline

Well more good news then!

Oh thank you! I sure will! This is quite the journey and we all need prayers to get through! I pray for all the VJers daily! Best of luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The confusing part is The IRS-issued proof of payment. What does this mean?

IRS Tax Transcripts.....free from the IRS.....Do a Google search.

The issue is I no longer have any of my tax returns or W-2's on hand.

You can ask for transcripts from any prior year.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thank you. I just got off the phone with an IRS rep and ordered transcripts from them. I hope you're right and that they will satisfy the requirements.

You should be able to get your IRS tax return transcript online in pdf form. Took me 10 minutes max.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Thank you all for your help. I have ordered the transcripts and will give those to my fiancee for her interview. I really appreciate how active and helpful the VJ community is. :)

You should be able to get your IRS tax return transcript online in pdf form. Took me 10 minutes max.

I agree with usmsbow, searched tax transcripts on Google, signed up and downloaded in 10-15 minutes absolutely free. I've linked the site below for convenience.

IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS

Citizenship  :dancing:

19-FEB-2020 - Oath Ceremony, Passport Application, Voter Registration - ALL DONE!!!:dancing::dancing::dancing:

03-FEB-2020 - Received Oath Ceremony Notice (19-FEB-2020)

29-JAN-2020 - Interview complete - APPROVED!!!:dancing:😁

20-DEC-2019 - Received Interview Notice (29-JAN-2020)

18-JUL-2019 - Biometrics Appointment

29-JUN-2019 - NOA Date

24-JUN-2019 - N-400 Submitted Online

ROC

23-OCT-2017 - I-751 Filed. (USPS Priority Mail)

23-OCT-2017 - Packet Delivered and signed for

27-OCT-2017 - NOA Date - Received 02-NOV-2017

2018               - Biometrics and Interviewed Waived

11-Jan-2019 - I-751 Approved

14-Jan-2019 - 10 YearGreen Card Received :dancing:

AOS

20-May-2015 - I-485 Filed, Filed I-765, I-131 at same time. (USPS Express Mail)

21-MAY-2015 - Packet Delivered and signed for

26-May-2015 - NOA Date

16-Jun-2015 - Biometrics Appointment

19-Jan-2016 - I-485 AOS Approval I-797 by mail

27-Jan-2016 - 2 Year Green Card Received :dancing:

EAD, AP

20-May-2015 - Filed I-765, I-131 with AOS I-485 (USPS Express Mail)

21-MAY-2015 - Packet Delivered and signed for

26-May-2015 - NOA Date

16-Jun-2015 - Biometrics Appointment

03-Aug-2015 - EAD & AP Approved

16-Aug-2015 - Card Mailed (online update)

19-AUG-2015 - Card Received

:thumbs:(L)(F):thumbs:

K-1

05-SEP-2014 - I-129F Petition Package Sent

11-SEP-2014 - NOA1 Email Received - Assigned to CSC

20-OCT-2014 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received

03-FEB-2015 - Interview - APPROVED

25-APR-2015 - POE Minneapolis

16-May-2015 - Married, Brooklyn Park, MN (L):rolleyes::D:dancing:

05-DEC-2015 - Son enters on K-2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.