We Keep Receipts

The 9 Biggest Myths About ISIS Debunked

32 posts in this topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/isis-myths-debunked_n_5875050.html

When it comes to the Islamic State, the extremist group that has seized large swaths of Iraq and Syria using horrifying tactics, there is no shortage of speculation about its history and ambitions. But not all the claims about the organization now targeted by the U.S. hold up. Here's a look at some of the biggest and most troubling misunderstandings about the Islamic State.

A good read.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

MYTH 8: THE RISE OF ISIS IS OBAMA'S FAULT

What? That's a myth? You can't be serious!

I was surprised to read that Hillary was responsible for fueling that fire.

The argument that President Barack Obama blew it by not supporting moderate rebel forces in Syria earlier in the civil war was recently fueled by Hillary Clinton, the former secretary of state and likely 2016 presidential candidate, in an interview with The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg. Clinton told Goldberg, "The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad -- there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle -- the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled."

I'm throwing caution to the wind and going with it's Bush's fault. Everything is Bush's fault. He even taught Obama how to salute the military.

1359842728_8498_barney.jpg?itok=IAUBfAu3

MYTH 5: ISIS IS POISED TO INFILTRATE THE U.S. VIA MEXICO

That's a myth too? Bummer!

That's definitely a myth. Anyone in the know here on VJ knows that ISIS has already infiltrated the US and is poised to attack any day now. Better get locked and loaded real quick.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Myth 10:ISIS can be defeated just by bombing everything that moves.

Myth 11: You defeat ISIS and arm a new set of rebels in Syria, and then expect Syria not to turn out like Libya.

Myth 12: ISIS = HAMAS.

Myth 13: America choosing to attack ISIS has nothing to do with oil.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/isis-myths-debunked_n_5875050.html

When it comes to the Islamic State, the extremist group that has seized large swaths of Iraq and Syria using horrifying tactics, there is no shortage of speculation about its history and ambitions. But not all the claims about the organization now targeted by the U.S. hold up. Here's a look at some of the biggest and most troubling misunderstandings about the Islamic State.

A good read.

Whenever I see this kind of title it proves out to be a set of straw men with some agenda being served.

The way people learn events is linearly: A -> B -> C -> D. We do not memorize a set of ten things that "didn't happen" and the arguments about why they didn't happen. That is sheer political talking-point propaganda, not knowledge. It is one of the things that really bothers me about this country and how we talk about important subjects.

Look how IDIOTIC they are too: ISIS represents all Muslims. Are you F-ing kidding me?! This is a big myth?! Even the very first one with ISIS not being Al Qaeda. WOW. You know, the fact they have two different names is kind of a clue, captain obvious. Why are you wasting space like this?

ISIS has no objective. Okay - who here is brain dead? Come now - we are adults not two year old imbeciles. If you just list what each word in the acronym is then you can STFU because it is self-explanatory.

God help me: they did not once in this entire article even say what the Acronym ISIS stands for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They said "Islamic State". I couldn't finish the article.

Great PR piece. No doubt charged to the Visa of the Muslim Brotherhood

Seems I also heard some guy say, we were leaving a peaceful and stable Iraq.

Over course if you don't buy the BS you are a RWNJ tin foil hat wearing idiot.

When the BS is proven wrong it's Bush's fault

Filed: Other Timeline

It always makes for a good belly laugh to read from a news author who has a problem with peripheral vision. These articles can be found easily within the four corners of none other than the Huff and Puffington Post.

23ralh0.jpg

Whenever I see this kind of title it proves out to be a set of straw men with some agenda being served.

The way people learn events is linearly: A -> B -> C -> D. We do not memorize a set of ten things that "didn't happen" and the arguments about why they didn't happen. That is sheer political talking-point propaganda, not knowledge. It is one of the things that really bothers me about this country and how we talk about important subjects.

Look how IDIOTIC they are too: ISIS represents all Muslims. Are you F-ing kidding me?! This is a big myth?! Even the very first one with ISIS not being Al Qaeda. WOW. You know, the fact they have two different names is kind of a clue, captain obvious. Why are you wasting space like this?

ISIS has no objective. Okay - who here is brain dead? Come now - we are adults not two year old imbeciles. If you just list what each word in the acronym is then you can STFU because it is self-explanatory.

God help me: they did not once in this entire article even say what the Acronym ISIS stands for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They said "Islamic State". I couldn't finish the article.

I don't know what happened to you up there with those polar bears, but you need to take a breather. Muslims have been and continue to be lumped in with the crazies. Do a thread search on anything ISIS related here and you'll find folks calling for all Muslims to be killed. Look up the Brigitte Gabriel and hear her theory that I'm just like the Germans who weren't Nazis but it's still my fault because I'm not doing enough to stop the madness. Look up https://twitter.com/hashtag/notinmyname and see that muslims have to denounce every single thing a crazy does and claims to be of Islam because apparently when a gun owner goes on a shooting spree, that's just him, he doesn't represent the majority, but if it's a muslim, we all must be murderers and rapists.

I used to respect/understand your post back in the day. Bring that guy back so we can chat.

Great PR piece. No doubt charged to the Visa of the Muslim Brotherhood

Seems I also heard some guy say, we were leaving a peaceful and stable Iraq.

Over course if you don't buy the BS you are a RWNJ tin foil hat wearing idiot.

When the BS is proven wrong it's Bush's fault

What's BS? That all Muslims aren't ISIS? Which part are you disputing?

It always makes for a good belly laugh to read from a news author who has a problem with peripheral vision. These articles can be found easily within the four corners of none other than the Huff and Puffington Post.

23ralh0.jpg

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln/Mark Twain

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I don't know what happened to you up there with those polar bears, but you need to take a breather.

That's what people do who have no intellectual point: paint you as crazy.

I can't think of anything more stupid than having an entire article written about an organization with an acronym and not telling you what the acronym stands for.

Obviously the most important section of this propaganda screed is to say Obama is not responsible. That red team vs. blue team sickness is a good part of what is wrong with this country. I couldn't care less if you like what I post. You think I am going to get on my knees in fealty because I don't have your approval?

Lol.

I can't think of anything more stupid than having an entire article written about an organization with an acronym and not telling you what the acronym stands for.

Obviously the most important section of this propaganda screed is to say Obama is not responsible. That red team vs. blue team sickness is a good part of what is wrong with this country. I couldn't care less if you like what I post. You think I am going to get on my knees in fealty because I don't have your approval?

Lol.

I think most folks would settle for a touch of common decency and a little less derogatory content in your posts. Lately everyone of them is riddled with insults.

Lol.

My point was you used to be more tangent than this. Lately you've been just attacking people and what they post. First you chide Janelle about ending slavery because someone in your family fought in the Civil War, then you talk about shooting polar bears in a thread that is talking about guns and PEOPLE, and lastly this mess.

I made my point. ISIS doesn't represent all Muslims. That was my point for posting the article. If you want to get intellectual about it, I'm here all day.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I think most folks would settle for a touch of common decency and a little less derogatory content in your posts. Lately everyone of them is riddled with insults.

perfect, thanks. For the hypocrisy.

Su and Marvin insults me with statements about polar bears and needing to "take a breather" as if I am a screaming banshee whereas me talking directly to the point is not common decency? You don't think Su and Marvin should behave decently, obviously.

Had a student turned in a paper on an acronym and did not define that acronym then I would have excoriated them on grading and the kid could appeal that all the way to the president of the university and would lose at every level.

I could not disagree more that the point of the article is that ISIS doesn't represent all Muslims. The primary purpose is obviously "Obama is not Responsible", with a lot of stupid window dressing packed around it.