indhiraastacio

lets discuss the elephant in the room...

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone experienced negativity from American family members? It seems as if people in a foreign country(Dominican Republic) don't have the right to genuinely fall in love with an "American". Has anyone gone through having to listen to people tell you that your spouse who you know and share a bond with could potentially be a big lie? Please share.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has anyone experienced negativity from American family members? It seems as if people in a foreign country(Dominican Republic) don't have the right to genuinely fall in love with an "American". Has anyone gone through having to listen to people tell you that your spouse who you know and share a bond with could potentially be a big lie? Please share.

I ignored the ones who said this. Even now, my fiance is here, and people are saying he could be a terrorist. People are so STUPID

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Most people know some couple where both parties aren't in it for love. It is easy for them to point fingers especially when they have never seen you together in real life. Also some countries have more of their share of marry and run cases. They do it because they are concerned. Give them time.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Most people know some couple where both parties aren't in it for love. It is easy for them to point fingers especially when they have never seen you together in real life. Also some countries have more of their share of marry a

nd run cases. They do it because they are concerned. Give them time.

I agree. Some countries do have a bad rep. And it's also true that when family actually sees you interacting with your foreign spouse they are able to tell if its true love. Family always has your best interest at heart that's why I believe it is very important to incorporate them somewhat in your relationship. How does the saying goes? "People see better from the outside looking in".

Family, close friends...all don't believe and it makes you doubt yourself and your decisions. Especially when family is important to you. I completely understand and am in the same boat.

It definetly happens to all of us. But follow your heart and do what is right for you. I will never regret my decision and I am so much better for it. Best of luck and stay patient in your journey.

It's typical. But I think DR it's more susceptible because of the Sanky Panky movies . It's a reflection of things that actually happen there. Plus there's alot of jealousy. It's hard to even get a tourist visa from DR. So they see it as an abandonment almost and also...what does that foreign chick have that our women don't kind of thing. It's never easy but if anything it makes us even more sure to cherish the amazing real beautiful love we share.most people will never find this....not even on mars. lol

Noa1: Feb 12, 2014ARN: Feb 19, 2014Noa2: July 15, 2014NVC: July 22, 2014Left NVC: July 29, 2014CONSULATE: July 31, 2014PACKET 4: Aug 25, 2014INTERVIEW: Sept 18, 2014 APPROVED!!!!!!!US ENTRY: Oct 10,2014MARRIAGE: Nov 7,2014

AOS: Feb filersSent AOS packet via FedEx : Feb 13, 2015FedEx confirmed delivery: Feb 17, 2015Texts & Emails confirming receipt: Feb 20, 2015Check cashed: Feb 20, 2015NOA 1:received Feb 26, 2015 dated Feb 19, 2015Biometrics letter received: Feb 27, 2015Biometrics appt: Mar 12, 2015EAD Approved: Apr 24, 2015

AP Approved: Apr 24, 2015

Combo Card to Be Mailed:Combo Card Received: early MayInterview : waiver letter received :clock:Sept 15: APPROVED status online changed to "On September 15, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice for Receipt Number MSCXXXXXXXX. Please follow the instructions in the notice." Welcome Letter received:Sept 21,2015!!!!!!

Green Card received: Sept 2015

ROC received in Vermont: Sept 1, 2017

ROC/Biometrics checks cashed: Sept 6, 2017

NOA1 received : 

I think EVERYONE from the US dating someone from DR goes through this. Visa scams are very, very common. I still go through this with my family. But the more time goes on, the more I feel their opinions are not justified. Not gonna lie, there is always something at the back of your mind saying what if they are right, what if this person just wants a ticket to America? You have to look at things from both points of view (they have valid points too) and make the decision that you won't regret when looking back on your life. That is the decision you make. Other than that, I would say just agree to disagree and only time will tell!

Filed: Timeline

Paying attention is always wise how the person treats U,

consistency,shows importance in spending time with U and

sharing, there are some great con artists but even among

USC & USE relationships. You can see ones face but never

their hearts, families can get a bit dramatic (some) when

such relationship begins, it happened in my family I never

voiced my opinion that I was suspicious of it, but its none

of my biz, in all honesty after 3 yrs the girl still shares,

take care of the home, got a job, contributes & he's happy, she

and wants to take another nurturing the marriage before having

a baby....so others cannot judge

Yes it is very hard on a lot of people that marry someone from another country.Yes I have been through this twice and I always get family and friends asking me I'm sure they love you.I was marry once and it lasted for 5 years and they I tried it again and she left lest in a month being in the USA.But when I meet my Dominican wife I knew something different in her. But you still have people concern for you and don't want to see you get hurt.I think it's them relationships that go bad that make it look bad for other's. From my past experience I would tell you to not worry about what other thank about your relationship.just don't let other people tell you what you should do.keep your business from others.that was my last problem in my relationship.now I will put my wife first.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

So my fiancé might not be from the DR but he's from the other side of the island. I just reached a point where I confronted my family about their unrealistic expectation of me to guarantee that my marriage is going to be good, make me happy, and last forever. I finally owned up to the fact that I can't guarantee those things and if they couldn't accept the fact that I am more than willing to take this risk because I think it will be good, than I didn't wan to hear it anymore. They're working on coming to terms with the idea that I've made my decision even though I can't ease all their fears. And thankfully it's almost time for them to meet my fiancé and decide if they're willing to risk loving him too. They've tried to be supportive through the process but they just don't get it so I'm trying to have grace to love them through their fears without letting their stuff become mine. I'd like to say that as your process gets closer to your fiancé(e) arriving that it gets easier but I can't. What I do know is that I'm really excited that soon they'll actually get to meet him and I hope that will relieve some of the fear. And if it doesn't, I've gotten really good at talking to my fiancé about it so at least I'll have an even better outlet soon. Good luck in your future and my dad once told me "Listen for truth. When you find it, hold on to it and throw the rest away." The truth is they love you and want the best for you. The truth is you're making the best decision you can and you have weighed the costs and the benefits. The truth is this is totally worth the risk (at least it is to me) and so I'm all in.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I ignored the ones who said this. Even now, my fiance is here, and people are saying he could be a terrorist. People are so STUPID

Lol. That is cray cray!

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I was married for 15 years to the biggest american idiot! Now im married to the most wonderful, loving Jamaican man who treats me like a queen. I told my family to ask whether they want me happy with a human with different skin color or be miserable with a loser! I truly am happy for the first time ever! Who cares what others think!!??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I was married for 15 years to the biggest american idiot! Now im married to the most wonderful, loving Jamaican man who treats me like a queen. I told my family to ask whether they want me happy with a human with different skin color or be miserable with a loser! I truly am happy for the first time ever! Who cares what others think!!??

I agree. I read many unfavorable stories and have heard so many untrue myths and warnings about Jamaican men. My fiancé treats me better than any other man I've ever been with! He's loving caring kind and patient. No one has ever made me feel so loved and special. We both have realized that the average person will not be able to understand our 1,500 mile LDR and everything that goes into this visa process. So we don't say much to others. They'll see one day. In the meantime don't let the negativity get u down. Follow ur heart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.