Nokiashorty

Get engaged before filing for K1?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hello to all.

Me and my girlfriend plan on getting married and applying for the K1 Visa. We are planning a 5th trip to see each other in February here in Uruguay and are looking forward to making an official family gathering to announce our engagement to my side of the family.

Should we wait to do this before filing for the visa or just start the process now and present the evidence of this gathering at the interview?

She doesn't have a ring yet but she will when she comes in February, I plan on making a formal proposal even though the intention to be married is already there.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you have enough evidence of having a real relationship, proof of a formal engagement is not necessary at all.

Having it later will certainly be good for her interview, but also not mandatory.

I would file the petition as fast as possible, since this process can take a long time sometimes.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Heck we filed before we had a "formal" engagement.

Actually his official proposal was a text. I got a ring in the mail months later haha.

Don't sweat that detail too much.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Deciding mutually to get married is being engaged. It does not need a formal proposal or ring. For some countries, having an engagement ceremony is a cultural tradition and the CO will most likely expect to see evidence of a formal engagement. If it is not the cultural norm for your country, then no need to worry about it. Each country/consulate has different procedures and requirements.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Pro star: so is it ok if we don't do the formal engagement ? I am from Cambodia. I really concern about this . Me and my man don't want to do the traditional engagement

Unless you think your consulate would find it strange that there wasn't a formal engagement, it's not a problem at all!

Many (or even most) couples here don't have it.

Timeline

Pro star: so is it ok if we don't do the formal engagement ? I am from Cambodia. I really concern about this . Me and my man don't want to do the traditional engagement

You are asking someone from Canada about what works in Cambodia. I moved your other post about this to the Asia regional forum to get more accurate answers for the consulate you will interview at. Someone from Cambodia answered in that thread that the engagement ceremony would be needed for Cambodia. Why not just do a small one then, to provide the evidence of having one to satisfy the CO? You are free not to, and hope that it won't be needed. That is entirely up to you.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I just concern about that. We want to start doing the k1 right a way . But we didn't do any traditional engagement at all. He visited me a few month ago. I heard some couple here did the traditional engagement ceremony for the proof.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

File now. It takes time to wind its way through the system. You will have plenty of time to collect evidence of a good relationship. All you need right now is photos of the two of you together. BTW save all paper generated by the times you are together, e.g. plane tickets, boarding passes, hotel and restaurant receipts, things you buy for each other. Send copies of the travel evidence in when you file, as photos alone won't be enough (too easy to photoshop yourself into a picture of her).

Good luck to you.

Timeline

I just concern about that. We want to start doing the k1 right a way . But we didn't do any traditional engagement at all. He visited me a few month ago. I heard some couple here did the traditional engagement ceremony for the proof.

Someone interviewing in a different country, such as Canada or Brazil will not have the same process and requirements. The CO will go by the cultural norms of your country. An engagement ceremony is not the tradition of Canada, but it is for Malaysia and some other Asian countries. You need to know what will be expected at the consulate in Malaysia, not Canada. Did you search here on VJ for 'engagement ceremony for Cambodia' as I suggested in your other thread? http://www.visajourney.com/search/index.php?cx=007424365766759747816%3Auy9flr-th5y&cof=FORID%3A10&q=engagement+ceremony+for+Cambodia&sa=Search&siteurl=www.visajourney.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F515729-k1-starter%2F&ref=www.visajourney.com%2Fforums%2Fforum%2F90-asia-east-and-pacific%2F&ss=

Hello to all.

Me and my girlfriend plan on getting married and applying for the K1 Visa. We are planning a 5th trip to see each other in February here in Uruguay and are looking forward to making an official family gathering to announce our engagement to my side of the family.

Should we wait to do this before filing for the visa or just start the process now and present the evidence of this gathering at the interview?

She doesn't have a ring yet but she will when she comes in February, I plan on making a formal proposal even though the intention to be married is already there.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

All you need to prove is that you met within 2 years of filing and you are both legally free to marry. You can file anytime as long as you have enough proof of meeting in person.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hi thanks for you responses.

We'll begin filing as soon as possible then. We've been in a relationship since October 2010 so I think we have quite an amount of pictures and conversations to share to show our relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.