icv21

What health insurance do you have????

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I've been trying to look some info around the forum about Health insurances, I really don't know and understand how all these things work here....

I don't have one yet we are waiting for my EAD so we can afford it.

My husband doesn't is not sure if put me in his or since I will be a green card holder in the future there are different prices.

We looked in Humana it's where he has his and the prices were very high.... so I'm kind of curious and could help to know in what companies you are all and what the average of money you pay????

Another question is.. Should I have one already since with Obamacare it's obligatory to be under insurance??? ( correct me if I understood it wrong ) I don't have a visa I'm a ESTA overstay so I'm not sure about my legal situation

I will appreciate any kind of help and comments

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

I'll take a shot at this.

My wife was added to my health insurance when we got married. There was no difference in the expense just because she had a green card. It was the difference between a family of one and a family of two. The presence of an EAD also doesn't affect the health insurance cost unless you get a job yourself, and then it may be that it's cheaper for each of you to have your own health insurance through your employers than it is to have it through one employer as a married couple.

It has been my observation that if your spouse has health insurance that's usually the cheapest route. Whether or not it's the "best" route depends on what you need health coverage for. Most employers offer several different plans, and you can look at the different ones and decide what's right for you. For example, some plans have a very low monthly cost but a very high deductible, which is the amount you'd have to pay out-of-pocket when you go and see a doctor. If neither of you have health problems and don't ever see doctors, that would likely be a better deal than something with lower deductibles but a higher monthly expense.

It is estimated that half of all bankruptces in the United States are due to costs related to a health issue (a heart attack, cancer, etc.). The purpose of having health insurance is to protect you against financial disaster in case something bad happens.

Health insurance is "mandatory", but if you don't have it the only penalty will be that you will have to pay a "tax" on your income tax return at the end of the year. Over time, that penalty will probably be larger and larger to encourage people to get health insurance.

If you have little or no income, the health insurance available through the government is likely cheaper or free than what you would get through an employer.

If you're an overstay, I'd be a lot more worried about getting your visa paperwork done.

Regards,

Bill

I agree with Bill. I was able to sign my husband up through my employer and the price did go up but that was the normal rate for adding a spouse (any spouse) to the plan. My husband didn't have a social security number at the time, but we were still about to get him on my plan. The only problem was that without the SSN, I had to contact my HR representative whenever we wanted to schedule a doctor appointment because the plan did not officially recognize him and the HR rep had to confirm that he was indeed valid on my plan. The benefit of being on his employer plan with him is that you'd have another joint document for your interview and it will likely be the cheapest because they are often subsidized partially by the employer.

Obamacare is an option as well, and I'd recommend making an appointment with a certified enrollment counselor to discuss your options. They should have good info for which options you have available. The Affordable Care Act has mandated that everyone needs to be enrolled in a healthcare plan, either through an employer or Healthcare.gov but, as Bill said, the penalty at the moment is a fee when you file your taxes so it's not like you'll get kicked out of the country if you don't have healthcare.

If you don't sign up for a healthcare plan, you are entitled to emergency medicaid as an immigrant.

I have Kaiser Permanente and I've been pretty happy with them. Through my employer plan, I pay $90/month but that is partially sponsored by my employer. When my job ends later this month, I'll be on a medicaid Obamacare plan because it is the cheapest, but there are a variety of plan options that average about $500/month without premium assistance.

I'm not sure if being an overstay affects any of this or not. Have you filed your AOS yet?

05/14: We were married!!

06/04/14: Finally marriage license was recorded & we got a copy

06/05/14: AOS package mailed via Fed Ex overnight to USCIS Chicago Lockbox

06/06/14: (Day 00) Confirmation of delivery & receipt date recorded by USCIS

06/11/14: (Day 05) NOA 1 Hard copy of receipt received

06/13/14: (Day 07) Form I-797C received, Biometrics appointment scheduled for July 8

07/01/14: RFE for co-sponsor salary and tax info, which was already sent with original package. Resent a copy on 07/08/14.

07/08/14: (Day 32) Biometrics appt.

08/10/14: (Day 65) Noticed that USCIS status has changed from Initial Review to Testing & Interview!

08/21/14: (Day 76) Received EAD/AP in the mail!

09/25/14: (Day 111) Email notice with interview date set for OCT. 29!

10/29/14: (Day 145) Interview day - APPROVED!!!

09/21/16: Mailed in I-751 Removal of Conditions

10/14/16: Biometrics appointment

8/8/17: Mailed N-400 Naturalization Application

8/15/17: USCIS texted that they've received N-400

9/8/17: Scheduled for biometrics 

10/11/17: In Line to be Scheduled for N-400 Interview
6/23/18: N400 Interview (recommended for approval pending I751)

8/1/18: I751 Interview - approved

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I see. Thanks for writing!

My husband is self-employee, rides motorcycles for a living so his health insurance is high....it mostly covers emergency room..... And accidental things ( since it happens often......) but a simple appointment with a doctor is expensive, and that's kind of what I like more for me since I don't live an extreme life... But I will need birth control pills and

I Thought waiting until the EAD and getting a job would be easier to pay for it or see what they offer.

But I wondered if I could be in trouble being without insurance while waiting for my AOS since it's "mandatory"

My overstay is "fine" I didn't come here illegally or anything just came to visit my husband ( boyfriend then we dated for 5 years ) and at the end of my stay he proposed and told me to stay so we filled for AOS and my stay has expired... I'm waiting for uscis like everybody else.

Only problem is that at the insurance place they asked for visa number or green card holder and I'm nothing right now!

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You can purchase traveller's insurance which will cover a good part of the cost of the medical expenses:

http://www.***removed***.com/

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest you get to healthcare.gov

then find the phone number from the site,

and call them, talk with a human, getting a quote on just yerself.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.