msbau764

Obvious Question -- What do I do after NOA1?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I received this today for the K1 Visa

"Your case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Texas Service Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number XXX. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your case using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status."

From what I understand, this is NOA1. After that, if everything goes well, I literally have to do nothing for 4-8 months? No checking websites, calling consulates, anything? Should I the petitioner prepare anything between now and NOA2 or should the beneficiary gather documents before hand? Tax documents, certificates, police reports (we are going to the Ciudad Juarez embassy).

Thank you. I know answers are here but a lot of the information in the search is from 2011-2012. Please advise.

Thanks

Edited by Penguin_ie

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

You can start gathering documents that aren't date sensitive. Like passport, BC, taxes. Other things like the police certificate and proof of employment would have to be recent. But, basically yes, you just have to wait, unfortunately.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

hi im a newbie also but from my understanding you should have a set of documents; a copy basically of everything you sent in with your K-1 petition. I am in the same boat except my fiance is from Uganda. There are many things to organize and prepare -( if your a nut like me lol .) I would read and research the consulate and what their requirements and processes is for the medical and the interview later.

It is still early but start to think about gathering your documents for the I-134. read the guides on K-1. Did you front load the petition?

best of luck

Ricciardo

I-129F Sent : 2014-08-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-08-07

I-129F Alien # Changed:2014-08-11

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :2015-02-06

I-129F NOA2 hard copy recieved: 2015-02-12

NVC Received :2015-02-19

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned :2015-02-19

NVC Left : 2015-02-24

Consulate Received : 2015-03-02

Packet 3 Received :2015-03-02

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Second Interview (If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Personal info hidden *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Congrats on getting it filed! I'm just starting to prepare all my documents, forms, etc, and from where I stand, just making it through this first step seems like something to celebrate.

After I file, I plan to do two things: First, I'm going to start preparing for all of the "next step" questions (interview, etc.), and then I'm going to start looking ahead to AOS so my fiance can start getting together anything he may need for that process (assuming, as another pointed out, it's not date sensitive); I have in mind things like his birth certificate and other documents that will need to be translated into English. The more we can devote this time to preparing ahead of what's to come, in theory, the less stress we'll have when it's time to move to the US, get married, and file for AOS in quick succession.

Additionally, it's my understanding the the guides here, as well as the FAQs, are generally up-to-date, so if you can't find recent questions on the forum, it's probably safe to assume the guides will be sufficient. (=

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Timeline

hi im a newbie also but from my understanding you should have a set of documents; a copy basically of everything you sent in with your K-1 petition. I am in the same boat except my fiance is from Uganda. There are many things to organize and prepare -( if your a nut like me lol .) I would read and research the consulate and what their requirements and processes is for the medical and the interview later.

It is still early but start to think about gathering your documents for the I-134. read the guides on K-1. Did you front load the petition?

best of luck

Ricciardo

Yes, I front-loaded the petition. I wasn't as detailed in terms of labeling my paperwork. For example, I used binder clips for my all chatlogs, then a binder clip for all passport and travel info, a binder clip for all my emails and a binder clip for my G325, I-129F info, photos, etc. I heard that they take everything apart anyways and reorder how they see fit, so I didn't spend time organizing everything neatly. I have no clue what the I-134 is. Is it the affadavit of support?

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

Timeline

Yes, I front-loaded the petition. I wasn't as detailed in terms of labeling my paperwork. For example, I used binder clips for my all chatlogs, then a binder clip for all passport and travel info, a binder clip for all my emails and a binder clip for my G325, I-129F info, photos, etc. I heard that they take everything apart anyways and reorder how they see fit, so I didn't spend time organizing everything neatly. I have no clue what the I-134 is. Is it the affadavit of support?

The I-134 is the affadavit of support that's submitted for the interview, as opposed to the I-864 (another affidavit of support) that's submitted when filing for AOS using form I-485. In theory, the I-134 has softer requirements, but from what I've read, it's generally evaluated to the same standards as the I-864.

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

My advise would be to echo what others are saying here, start at least making a plan for the next stage, yes it'll be some months away, but better get the plan in place now while you can take your time and do it relaxed than find surprises later.

Speaking from experience, don't assume each thing is going to be easy, actually research so no nasties should occur in YOUR case. I will share what happened to me:

I found out after I received my information from the US Consulate in Sydney, Australia, that I had to get a police clearance from England because I lived there for longer than 6 months in the last 8 years (or so). I was very lucky that England didn't require biometrics (horror stories about them taking MONTHS from other countries) but had to pay 150 pounds to get it express handled and shipped to Australia, which still took a week, it would have cost much less if I was more prepared.

My actual Australian federal clearance form required fingerprints and that was a whole other hassle because unlike the 'norm' I read about Australia, I had to go and get ink prints done and then sent off to Sydney by mail because the state I lived in was the only state where prints couldn't be taken electronically.

The point here, and the bottom line, my advise is to invest the time now to cover all of your basis ahead of your next stage so that you will feel prepared for when that day comes and all hell breaks loose (You get the your NOA2>NVC>Consulate Approvals :rofl: ) and you lives become all about the VISA once again!

Good Luck :dancing:

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Timeline

My advise would be to echo what others are saying here, start at least making a plan for the next stage, yes it'll be some months away, but better get the plan in place now while you can take your time and do it relaxed than find surprises later.

Speaking from experience, don't assume each thing is going to be easy, actually research so no nasties should occur in YOUR case. I will share what happened to me:

I found out after I received my information from the US Consulate in Sydney, Australia, that I had to get a police clearance from England because I lived there for longer than 6 months in the last 8 years (or so). I was very lucky that England didn't require biometrics (horror stories about them taking MONTHS from other countries) but had to pay 150 pounds to get it express handled and shipped to Australia, which still took a week, it would have cost much less if I was more prepared.

My actual Australian federal clearance form required fingerprints and that was a whole other hassle because unlike the 'norm' I read about Australia, I had to go and get ink prints done and then sent off to Sydney by mail because the state I lived in was the only state where prints couldn't be taken electronically.

The point here, and the bottom line, my advise is to invest the time now to cover all of your basis ahead of your next stage so that you will feel prepared for when that day comes and all hell breaks loose (You get the your NOA2>NVC>Consulate Approvals :rofl: ) and you lives become all about the VISA once again!

Good Luck :dancing:

I heard about the 6 month rule, luckily it shouldn't apply to my fiance. Based on everyone's experiences the NOA2 seems so far away that I feel like relaxing for one month. I just started my new job so I can't exactly collect paystubs and bank info just yet. Sounds like you lived a nightmare though

I heard about the 6 month rule, luckily it shouldn't apply to my fiance. Based on everyone's experiences the NOA2 seems so far away that I feel like relaxing for one month. I just started my new job so I can't exactly collect paystubs and bank info just yet. Sounds like you lived a nightmare though

I think you could absolutely wait a month :dancing: just know when it happens, it happens!

Best of luck to you both.

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You just have a waiting game right now, until the I-129F petition is approved. While you wait, you can look over the requirements for Juarez. If your fiance(e) has never lived outside of Mexico, then a police certificate will not be required, as they are not readily available in Mexico. Some people in larger cities have been able to obtain Carta/Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales and some have not. If you have any criminal records, then bring those. If you have no criminal history, then you will be good without anything.

This is how it works for Juarez >

Once your approved petition goes through the NVC and is sent onto the consulate, Juarez sends a letter(should be one sent to both the petitioner and beneficiary). The letter you receive points you to the sites where the instructions, forms and place to schedule your appointment and interview is. The letter is the only 'packet' you will receive. You do not have to wait for the letter to begin filling out forms and scheduling appointments. The letter will be needed by the K-1 applicant at their ASC, medical and interview in Juarez, along with the confirmation page from the DS-160. if you do not receive it before going to Juarez, you can get the letter printed out from the information window at the consulate before going to your medical and appointments.

Here are the forms: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html ,

instructions (very important to follow and they explain a lot): http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ciudadjuarez/231771/PDFs/k1k4dec13.pdf ,

schedule ASC: http://mexico.usvisa-info.com , and

CDJ info: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Mexico&cty=Juarez

While waiting, you can read through the reviews to see how the procedure works and what documents were needed by others applying for a K-1: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Mexico&cty=&dfilter=5

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You just have a waiting game right now, until the I-129F petition is approved. While you wait, you can look over the requirements for Juarez. If your fiance(e) has never lived outside of Mexico, then a police certificate will not be required, as they are not readily available in Mexico. Some people in larger cities have been able to obtain Carta/Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales and some have not. If you have any criminal records, then bring those. If you have no criminal history, then you will be good without anything.

This is how it works for Juarez >

Once your approved petition goes through the NVC and is sent onto the consulate, Juarez sends a letter(should be one sent to both the petitioner and beneficiary). The letter you receive points you to the sites where the instructions, forms and place to schedule your appointment and interview is. The letter is the only 'packet' you will receive. You do not have to wait for the letter to begin filling out forms and scheduling appointments. The letter will be needed by the K-1 applicant at their ASC, medical and interview in Juarez, along with the confirmation page from the DS-160. if you do not receive it before going to Juarez, you can get the letter printed out from the information window at the consulate before going to your medical and appointments.

Here are the forms: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html ,

instructions (very important to follow and they explain a lot): http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ciudadjuarez/231771/PDFs/k1k4dec13.pdf ,

schedule ASC: http://mexico.usvisa-info.com , and

CDJ info: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Mexico&cty=Juarez

While waiting, you can read through the reviews to see how the procedure works and what documents were needed by others applying for a K-1: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Mexico&cty=&dfilter=5

I read some of the info it seems like some of the evidence requirements are for those that are married. Did you send the K-3 fiance interview information? Things like joint bank accounts, rental agreements I obviously do not have.....in terms of the police certificate, is that even possible to get in Mexico? If so, does getting one 6 months before the interview count?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Those instructions are for a K-1 visa. The only thing that does not apply for a K-1 is the page listing info about proof of relationship. Not sure why they included it, but it states,"If your status as an intending immigrant depends upon a relationship established by a marriage..." The proof of relationship for a K-1 visa is not based on marriage and not the same as for a spousal visa, so those do not apply. You do not need to provide joint accounts and such. You need to provide other evidence that you have a real relationship, such as frequent correspondence, time spent together, photos together and with friends and family.

Also, as of Sept. 12th, the visa processing fee has risen from $240 to $265.

I just answered about the police certificates, "If your fiance(e) has never lived outside of Mexico, then a police certificate will not be required, as they are not readily available in Mexico. Some people in larger cities have been able to obtain Carta/Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales and some have not. If you have any criminal records, then bring those. If you have no criminal history, then you will be good without anything."

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.