JadedKiwi

Removing conditions hell

10 posts in this topic

I am working through the paperwork required to submit my removal of conditions application and I have come up against a few issues. The first being the Affidavits. A couple of years ago we moved away from our friends and a few hours north, so it is very difficult to both get an affidavit and I feel odd asking people we rarely get to see to write one for us. I don't know what to do about this. Any ideas? Bite the bullet and just ask anyways?

Secondly, it asks yet again about all criminal history. I provided an ACPO for my K1, a second ACPO for my Adjustment of Status, and now I'm being asked again. I only have one copy left, should I just submit this or send a photocopy? It was all for retarded rubbish from teenage years (2 instances of graffiti) but being asked for the same thing three times is ridiculous.

Finally, my husband and I have one shared account and one credit card. All the other credit cards are in his name as I have no need for them. Our house is also in his name because I didn't have a job when bought it, and our utility bills aren't in our names either. All we have are the joint account, drivers licence photocopies as proof of joint address, and our taxes filed together.

Because of all this I don't actually have much 'proof' of our marriage aside from photographs and maybe screencaps of my Facebook from days out we've had together. I'm a little worried that it isn't going to be enough.

In short... just... help :\

K1 Process:

• I-192F: NoA 1 received - March 15, 2011
  • I-192F: NoA 2 received - July 6 - Approved in 113 Days!
  • Packet 3 received - August 1-ish
  • Medical - August 19
  • Packet 3 completed and returned - August 24
  • Packet 3 logged at Embassy - September 21
  • Interview: Oct 26, 2011 - Approved!
  • PoE: Atlanta - November 08
  • Civil Ceremony - December 29

Time : 7 months, 8 days

Adjustment of Status Process:

• Filing AoS - February 17, 2012
  • NoA 1 received - February 23
  • Case transferred to CSC - March 20
  • Biometrics appointment - March 26
  • Wedding - April 6th
  • RFE October 15th, have until January to send in information.
  • Sent back information - December 5th
  • APPROVED! - December 22nd!

Time : 10 months, 6 days

Total Duration of journey : 1 year, 9 months, 8 days.

1. Affidavits are not required.

2. If you have a criminal history then you will need to show it every time. Same for N400 so get some more.

3. You don't have health insurance or anything? It is a good idea to get on utilities to establish a good rapport with the utility company, but too late now.

4. Most people recommend planning for this stage and getting joint stuff early on, but it seems you did not do that so there is nothing to be done about it now. That being said, there is no one thing that is required, and worst case scenario, you get an interview and they ask you about your life.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

We had no choice in how things have worked out for us. The house is my husbands but my in-laws live here too and they pay the mortgage and utilities, which means everything is in their name.

Thanks for the heads-up about the criminal history, I'll have to order more it seems.

My 90 days begins on Sunday 14th Sept. It kinda crept up on us very quickly since all we've been focused on is work, to be honest.

I'm not worried about an interview, I just would rather avoid the inconvenience of it. I get paid hourly and can't afford to take time off.

K1 Process:

• I-192F: NoA 1 received - March 15, 2011
  • I-192F: NoA 2 received - July 6 - Approved in 113 Days!
  • Packet 3 received - August 1-ish
  • Medical - August 19
  • Packet 3 completed and returned - August 24
  • Packet 3 logged at Embassy - September 21
  • Interview: Oct 26, 2011 - Approved!
  • PoE: Atlanta - November 08
  • Civil Ceremony - December 29

Time : 7 months, 8 days

Adjustment of Status Process:

• Filing AoS - February 17, 2012
  • NoA 1 received - February 23
  • Case transferred to CSC - March 20
  • Biometrics appointment - March 26
  • Wedding - April 6th
  • RFE October 15th, have until January to send in information.
  • Sent back information - December 5th
  • APPROVED! - December 22nd!

Time : 10 months, 6 days

Total Duration of journey : 1 year, 9 months, 8 days.

I am working through the paperwork required to submit my removal of conditions application and I have come up against a few issues. The first being the Affidavits. A couple of years ago we moved away from our friends and a few hours north, so it is very difficult to both get an affidavit and I feel odd asking people we rarely get to see to write one for us. I don't know what to do about this. Any ideas? Bite the bullet and just ask anyways?

Don't do affidavits if in two years you haven't met a neighbor, doctor, dentist, employer who knows you are married to each other.

Secondly, it asks yet again about all criminal history. I provided an ACPO for my K1, a second ACPO for my Adjustment of Status, and now I'm being asked again. I only have one copy left, should I just submit this or send a photocopy? It was all for retarded rubbish from teenage years (2 instances of graffiti) but being asked for the same thing three times is ridiculous.

Use photocopies. Yes, you will need again if you apply for citizenship

Finally, my husband and I have one shared account and one credit card. All the other credit cards are in his name as I have no need for them. Our house is also in his name because I didn't have a job when bought it, and our utility bills aren't in our names either. All we have are the joint account, drivers licence photocopies as proof of joint address, and our taxes filed together.

Because of all this I don't actually have much 'proof' of our marriage aside from photographs and maybe screencaps of my Facebook from days out we've had together. I'm a little worried that it isn't going to be enough.

We were very much the same as you except didn't bother with Facebook since neither of us have that we are married or otherwise on there. We have both names on auto insurance. It didn't seem to matter that we didn't have all the suggested items. Keep thinking and maybe you will come up with other random things. Do cover two years with your dated evidence.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

When we went through the ROC process earlier this year, we had not yet merged our bank accounts.

We actually did so only in the month we were submitting our I-751. In fact, we didn't send bank account statements that month. We submitted everything except financials, obtained joint financial statements at the next month and then mailed them to USCIS when we received them. We only sent that most recent month's statement. They didn't send a RFE asking for any additional financial information. The new green card was approved three months later.

Now I know the conventional wisdom here is to send a full two years of bank statements.

But for us, it wasn't needed.

So my advice would be merge whatever financial statements that you can. Show joint assets. Show financial liabilities. It's not too late to quick deed your home to a joint mortgage, if that is possible where you live.

Do all you can and submit the documentation. Just do your best.

Done: I-130/CR-1, I-751/ROC

Done: I-327

Filed: Timeline

OP: Incude a letter in which you let them know why you guys don't have joint utility bills. Indeed, you can ask your in-laws to write a letter in which they state that yes, you guys have been living under their roof, hence you guys never had joint utility bills, or any kind of joint rental agreement and have them sign it. That way, you can avoid the issue of not having joint rental/utility bills at all. The rest...hard...you guys have gone maybe anywhere where you guys had to purchase something as a ticket that is on both of your names? Did you guys happen to purchase things on that account that your names? That could be good. Also, if any of you have been working, tax transcripts!!!! Those are important and if you guys filed "married" either filing jointly or separately (USCIS does not going to stab you if it's separate as long as you claimed married as they know it's all about which one comes out better financially when filing). How about state tax? Similar as with federal...for the last two years of these would be very good and nice. If your husband has worked, did he have any retirement account/benefit in which he could put you as a beneficiary? I think, although affidavits are weak proof, but since your case is a bit weaker than most (no judgement here) I would personally bite the bullet and ask for them from those friends. I understand it's odd since you guys been a bit out of touch, but in your case it might be very useful. YMMV. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You state you are living with inlaws. Why can't they write an affidavit?

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

- TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPTS. I sure hope you have filed income taxes Jointly would be best

- beneficiary on IRA's

- Beneficiary on life insurance policy's

- any Estate planning showing Wills, Power of Attorney, Medical Power of Attorney.

- anything with a common address

- Emergency contact at place of employment

We did not have utility bills, my wife was not on the DEED of the house, we did not submit an affidavits. We did send in joint financial account from about month 8 of our marriage to the two year point. We showed a common address and in the cover letter I stated that we are filing this petition to ROC as a couple that wants to spend our lives together and not to circumvent immigrant laws. We were approved in 86 days with no interview back in 2012.

It is about two people who start merging their lives as a "normal" couple would. Each situation is different and the evidence you have is different. You give them what you have and see how it goes. I would not try to manufacture evidence at this late hour, but would rather let your relationship stand on its own merits as it is.

Good luck,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

In short... just... help :\

As long as you don't have 5 felonies - you r fine. And seriously.... go and fight for your papers. Awkward or not - go and get EVERYTHING. And don't waist your time either. They don't like when you send additional evidence last minute. All they want is your statements for every month.

- TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPTS. I sure hope you have filed income taxes Jointly would be best

- beneficiary on IRA's

- Beneficiary on life insurance policy's

- any Estate planning showing Wills, Power of Attorney, Medical Power of Attorney.

- anything with a common address

- Emergency contact at place of employment

We did not have utility bills, my wife was not on the DEED of the house, we did not submit an affidavits. We did send in joint financial account from about month 8 of our marriage to the two year point. We showed a common address and in the cover letter I stated that we are filing this petition to ROC as a couple that wants to spend our lives together and not to circumvent immigrant laws. We were approved in 86 days with no interview back in 2012.

It is about two people who start merging their lives as a "normal" couple would. Each situation is different and the evidence you have is different. You give them what you have and see how it goes. I would not try to manufacture evidence at this late hour, but would rather let your relationship stand on its own merits as it is.

Good luck,

Dave

You might get denied but guess what... you will have a court date and if you prove it to the judge - the decision can get overturned. And you can always reapply. I wasn't married for a gc therefore I wasn't shaking over every piece of paper and I should have. I know plenty of couples who don't even have a joint bank account but that's the paperwork that matters to USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.