luukee

well visiting affect the CR1 process?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey vjers,

I've been reading up about visiting while the petition is in progress and that is ok to visit. My question is that if my wife visits me more than 6 months it will cause issues with our paperwork?

Is this a written rule somewhere?

Also, at the time of sending the petition, my wife was working, but now she's no longer working there anymore, will that also cause an issue with the petition?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

How would she be able to do that legally?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Her working doesn't matter for the petition but it may cause more scrutiny if she visits by the CBP. I also do not know how she can legally visit for more than 6 months.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks for the reply guys, I didn't provide enough info. She has a multi entry visa, so for example, if she visits 2 months, then let's say she visits again for 4.5 months. ..

I read in some previous posts, that it's considered she is living in the US if she's visited more than six months. By the way when do they count the six months? Based on the normal calendar? (Jan through dec)?

Nlr, thanks for that tip, she's just helping out the family business at this point, but that does worry me though. She does have plenty of ties to her country though. Such as ownership of property.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

She cannot stay longer than the date stamped in her passport. I stayed 5 month and 3 weeks and came home for interview and had no issues. I just had to return home before 6 mths or I risked over staying.

USCIS:

Marriage (if applicable): 2012-08-10

I-130 NOA1 : 2013-05-10

I-130 RFE : 2013-12-17

I-130 RFE Sent : 2013-12-30 (they lost his picture)

I-130 Approved : 2014-01-13

NVC:

NVC Received : 2014-02-21

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-03-10

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-03-10

Submit DS-261 : 2014-03-10

DS-261 form reject- under review: NVC keeps saying the form is incorrect. They made an error for two months re this form.

Checklist 1 AOS : They wanted 2013 even though we filed before the end of tax season

Receive IV Bill : 2014-05-23

Pay IV Bill : 2014-05-23

Send IV Package : 2014-05-26

Checklist 2 AOS : 2014-06-06 Issue with resubmitted I-864 form - did not auto populate one of the numbers

Requested Expedite : 2014-07-11

Case Completed at NVC : 2014-07-18

Consulate Received : 2014-07-25

Embassy:

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2014-07-29

Medical : 2014-07-31

Interview : 2014-08-08 - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE Miami: 2014-09-09

Timeline

She has to be careful about working in the USA though...even helping out can be considered working especially if she gets even a stipend for helping. I have know someone who go caught by that- working while visiting. Didn't go well for her immigration dreams.

USCIS:

NVC:

DS-261 form reject- under review: NVC keeps saying the form is incorrect. They made an error for two months re this form.

Checklist 1 AOS : They wanted 2013 even though we filed before the end of tax season

Checklist 2 AOS : 2014-06-06 Issue with resubmitted I-864 form - did not auto populate one of the numbers

Embassy:

Thanks Islandbabes for sharing your experience.

What I meant was that she's currently helping out with her family's business in her country. As for the B2 Visa, she's strictly coming here for vacation and for us to do a bit of traveling in the US. No intentions of working at all and definitely no intentions of overstaying.

The reason why I was asking about the use of a multi entry VISA is because she plans to come visit me here for a short period of time, for example maybe a month. She has no intentions of staying long since she will also be going back to home for the family's business, her family and friends. But we wanted to understand the multi entry VISA a bit more and want to make sure it doesn't hurt the CR1 process either.

Does a foreigner receive an I-94 everytime he/she enters the country at the POE? In other words, let's say my wife came here for thanksgiving and Christmas but she is allowed to stay 6 months. But she leaves back to her country after Christmas. (I'm assuming the I-94 is expired as soon as she leaves) Then she comes back in a few months to visit me again - will she be getting a new I-94?, this time maybe they decide to give her only 2 weeks.

In total though, lets say she visited me twice, but is the 6 months that everyone mentions refers to the total amount of time she visited within one year? (from Jan 1st through dec 31st 2014)?

of course, I'm just hopeful she's allowed to come at all - We already started our CR-1 and have every intention to follow the process correctly. but in the meantime, like everyone, I miss my wife. So I'm hoping she can visit, and I will visit her as well.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Timeline

Thanks Islandbabes for sharing your experience.

What I meant was that she's currently helping out with her family's business in her country. As for the B2 Visa, she's strictly coming here for vacation and for us to do a bit of traveling in the US. No intentions of working at all and definitely no intentions of overstaying.

The reason why I was asking about the use of a multi entry VISA is because she plans to come visit me here for a short period of time, for example maybe a month. She has no intentions of staying long since she will also be going back to home for the family's business, her family and friends. But we wanted to understand the multi entry VISA a bit more and want to make sure it doesn't hurt the CR1 process either.

Does a foreigner receive an I-94 everytime he/she enters the country at the POE? In other words, let's say my wife came here for thanksgiving and Christmas but she is allowed to stay 6 months. But she leaves back to her country after Christmas. (I'm assuming the I-94 is expired as soon as she leaves) Then she comes back in a few months to visit me again - will she be getting a new I-94?, this time maybe they decide to give her only 2 weeks.

In total though, lets say she visited me twice, but is the 6 months that everyone mentions refers to the total amount of time she visited within one year? (from Jan 1st through dec 31st 2014)?

of course, I'm just hopeful she's allowed to come at all - We already started our CR-1 and have every intention to follow the process correctly. but in the meantime, like everyone, I miss my wife. So I'm hoping she can visit, and I will visit her as well.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

I have a 10-year (had lol) multiple entry visa. In 2013 I came for 2 weeks in April and then came back for 2.5 mths starting may. I then returned December 25th. I made sure that my total time for the year did not exceed 6 months. Not sure if 6 months is the total for the year but we tried to stay within that boundary.

We used to get physical 1-94 forms but since last year Fall it is all computerized and you no longer get those little white forms where you have to leave the stub when leaving the USA.Your entry and exits are all now fully computerized. And yes, it is a new entry/exit everytime.

USCIS:

NVC:

Embassy:

It depends. The CBP will stamp her visa. But it's generally considered 180 days per 365. The 180 days doesn't just magically reset on New Years Day. Staying longer than 180 days will start to earn overstay and may trigger a ban of 3 years. (That means an expensive waiver and more time for immigration.) I highly suggest being very careful. Not to mention that long stays may not look good to the CBP and run a risk of denied entry. She should never lie about her intentions to the CBP. If her purpose of her visit is to spend time with you, she should say that.

But even a denied entry won't impact her immigration. Our esteemed Saylin was denied entry twice (she is Canadian) and there was no issue at her interview. CBP and USCIS don't share info unless the CBP starts looking deeply. Her passport isn't immediately flagged with immigrant intent.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Working & Traveling During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I have a 10-year (had lol) multiple entry visa. In 2013 I came for 2 weeks in April and then came back for 2.5 mths starting may. I then returned December 25th. I made sure that my total time for the year did not exceed 6 months. Not sure if 6 months is the total for the year but we tried to stay within that boundary.

We used to get physical 1-94 forms but since last year Fall it is all computerized and you no longer get those little white forms where you have to leave the stub when leaving the USA.Your entry and exits are all now fully computerized. And yes, it is a new entry/exit everytime.

very cool islandbabes. Thanks for sharing that - I couldn't find any info on their site about the multiple entries. And thanks for the tip about the I-94. I was reading somewhere though, that if the VISA expires, that they recommend to keep the I-94 in the passport as it represents how long one is legally allowed to stay in the US. Since everything is computerized, can we just print that out online (I see links from their site saying that if you need it you can access it there). Otherwise, they said if you want a paper one upon entry, then you'll have to go through another line or something like that....

It depends. The CBP will stamp her visa. But it's generally considered 180 days per 365. The 180 days doesn't just magically reset on New Years Day. Staying longer than 180 days will start to earn overstay and may trigger a ban of 3 years. (That means an expensive waiver and more time for immigration.) I highly suggest being very careful. Not to mention that long stays may not look good to the CBP and run a risk of denied entry. She should never lie about her intentions to the CBP. If her purpose of her visit is to spend time with you, she should say that.

But even a denied entry won't impact her immigration. Our esteemed Saylin was denied entry twice (she is Canadian) and there was no issue at her interview. CBP and USCIS don't share info unless the CBP starts looking deeply. Her passport isn't immediately flagged with immigrant intent.

Thanks for the info NLR. It helps us understand what we are able to do during the process. I don't believe that she will stay here longer than 6 months total, but we'd like to spend some time together and with our families as well.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences :)

Try to remember it's 180 days, not 6 months. Feb, for instance, is shorter, and other months are longer. 180 days or whatever is stamped on her passport (sometimes they do not give you 180 days, but she should leave by that stamped date.)

You're welcome. :)

Try to remember it's 180 days, not 6 months. Feb, for instance, is shorter, and other months are longer. 180 days or whatever is stamped on her passport (sometimes they do not give you 180 days, but she should leave by that stamped date.)

You're welcome. :)

great tip NLR. We'll make sure to count the days. Will her days as a flight attendant affect this? Since those were the days she entered using her C1D visa?

Thanks again NLR!

great tip NLR. We'll make sure to count the days. Will her days as a flight attendant affect this? Since those were the days she entered using her C1D visa?

Thanks again NLR!

I really don't know if those do or not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.