Azagarth

wife in the USA on visitor visa, next step I-130 help needed (Q. c-14)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh so does the aos not grant her the visa? Ultimately that's what we are after so one day she can become a citizen.

I always thought AoS finished in a green card, which is the step towards citizenship in the end.

Just so this post isn't a complete waste of space - here's a link to the USCIS AoS guide thingy.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

A successful AOS does not result in a visa because a visa is something you need to use to enter the country and if you are AOSing you are already in the country.

A successful AOS results in a green card. Then your wife will be able to apply for citizenship three years after she receives her green card if she is still married to you and living in the US. Or five years if she is not still married to you.

If you go this route make sure your wife does not leave the US without either her green card or an advance parole document in hand to allow her to reenter the country. So if you want to travel outside the US before she gets her green card make sure you apply for AP with her AOS application. And it can sometimes take a lot longer than you think it will to process the green card so it's worth applying for AP even if you don't think you will need it.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Oh so does the aos not grant her the visa? Ultimately that's what we are after so one day she can become a citizen.

No. When she entered the USA she had a certain legal status to be here. AOS is adjustment of status which will give her a different legal status to remain evidenced by the green card.

I talked with two lawyers this week who said we should see no problems with changing her status. I think we are going to try, but let's say the worse happens and they call it visa fraud (which it isn't). How long would we be looking at her ban being or is there any way to fight it? Would you all recommend having a lawyer everything for the extra it costs or just doing it solo?

Edited by Azagarth

Timeline

I talked with two lawyers this week who said we should see no problems with changing her status. I think we are going to try, but let's say the worse happens and they call it visa fraud (which it isn't). How long would we be looking at her ban being or is there any way to fight it? Would you all recommend having a lawyer everything for the extra it costs or just doing it solo?

You don't need a lawyer. They aren't going to call it visa fraud because it isn't. Your not going to be in a fight.

Ask your self why USCIS even has a procedure that allows people in your exact situation and circumstance file the AOS. Then ask why V J has a forum to help people just like you. You are far from alone in doing what you need to do which is to simply follow the laws by using the procedures.

Did you read and understand what Kathryn explained ? This comes from one of the most experienced and informed members here on V J as well as someone that serves as a moderator.

Honestly if you are still wary of doing what you can then pay the lawyer but keep in mind you will still need to supply them the exact same info. The lawyer will slow the case down by becoming an expensive filter of your info. If you seek peace of mind hire the lawyer. If you seek a green card for your wife while she remains in the USA file the docs yourself.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Cool thanks I think I will just do the papers myself then if there isn't anything confusing about them. They told me about a 30 60 90 rule what is that?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Lawyers say that if you adjust within the first 30 days in the country, it is assumed that the person had preconceived intent to make the change before they even arrived in the U.S. It's out of a section of the USCIS field manual.

Personally, I see no need in your case to hire a lawyer as long as you feel comfortable filling out forms and collecting the papers that you will need. There's a easy guide here to follow to complete your AOS if that is the route you choose to follow.

I don't think you will have a problem with intent either. Intent is typically decided by the CBP when they let you in. They may ask you during your interview why you decided to file the way you did and if that happens, simply tell them the truth.

If you do file soon, DO NOT LEAVE the country until you have your EAD/COMBO Card(I-765) in hand. If you leave the country without that while your I-485 is processing, your whole application will be considered abandoned.

AOS Journey
6/13/2014 AOS package sent
6/17/2014 package received at Chicago Lockbox
6/23/2014 Received text messages that all forms have been accepted. 1-485 is at Nebraska Service Center.
6/23/2014 Checks Cashed
6/28/2014 Hard copy NOA1s received in mail today!
6/30/2014 received letter for Biometrics appointment on July 17th
7/17/2014 went to biometrics appointment at Cranston, Rhode Island office. Only took ten minutes.6
7/22/2014 Received text and email that case is in Interviewing and Testing stage
7/28/2014 received interview date for 9/4/2014 (day 45)

8/28/2014 received email that EAD has been approved...Will have interview before EAD is mailed though LOL!

9/04/2014 AOS Interview in Boston. Approved!!!! (day 83)

9/6/2014 EAD delivered

9/11/2014 GC delivered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

i come from Argentina too, and married my Us citizen wife about two month ago. I did the biometrics yesterday, currrently waiting for the interview appointment and so far everything seems to be aright.

I'm adjusting from a tourist visa too and currently living in Houston in a super long vacation status lol

I hope i get my EAD soon so i can work. My cousin who is Brazilian did the same thing (citizen wife, AOS from tourist visa) last year and got the green card in 4 month, he lives in San Jose. So i think that as long as your fiance has no past negative records, you won't have any problems.

Good luck to you guys

09/21/2016 NOA1

10/18/2016 Biometrics

Timeline

Cool thanks I think I will just do the papers myself then if there isn't anything confusing about them. They told me about a 30 60 90 rule what is that?

The docs can be confusing to people but just do the best you can then come back here for help. The confusion level is the same even if you had a lawyer is just more expensive confusion so try it your self.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

They told me about a 30 60 90 rule what is that?

There is no such rule.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.