almaty

Twenty-four people disappeared from cruise ships between 2003 and 2005 and 178 passengers reported being sexually assaulted

29 posts in this topic

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Twenty-four people disappeared from cruise ships between 2003 and 2005 and 178 passengers reported being sexually assaulted, a congressional panel heard Tuesday.

Among those who disappeared were an elderly Vietnamese-American couple who fled their native land as "boat people" in 1975.

Hue Pham, 71 and his wife, Hue Tran, 67, fled Vietnam 30 years ago with five other family members, spending two weeks floating in the Pacific with little food or water, their son, Son Michael Pham told a House of Representatives subcommittee.

They eventually reached the United States and built a successful life. Last May, they disappeared during a Caribbean cruise. Pham said the crew waited over four hours after being alerted to the disappearances before notifying the U.S. Coast Guard and it took several more hours to mount a search, which found no trace of the couple.

"Two American citizens with no personal or financial problems, no serious health problems, living the happiest time of their lives, both vanished without a trace or witness," Pham told the subcommittee on national security, emerging threats and international relations.

Of the disappearances, 12 were deemed suicides, one an accidental fall overboard and the others were deemed "missing for unknown reasons," said Lawrence Kaye, a lawyer representing major cruise lines.

Almost half of the 178 reported sexual assaults were allegedly committed by other passengers, according to figures released by the International Council of Cruise Lines.

With over 31 million people taking cruises in the three years under review, only four robberies were reported, the council said. However Ohio Democrat Rep. Dennis Kucinich said he suspected the figures understated the true situation and that not all crimes were being reported.

Several other witnesses told the subcommittee of tragedies on cruises. Lynsey O'Brien, a 15 year-old girl, was served at least 10 alcoholic drinks at a cruise ship bar and fell overboard while leaning over a balcony to vomit.

Janet Kelly, a 49-year-old married woman, said she was drugged by a bartender and raped

just wrong....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

wow thats news for me I always thought they had security guards on board so people dont mess around

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

wow thats news for me I always thought they had security guards on board so people dont mess around

i always thought it was safe too..i heard allot on the news about the honeymooner who disappeared..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

How many people went on cruises during that time? What's the accident rate for that same number of people on land? I bet it's lower on the ocean. No automobile accidents at sea. etc.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

this just makes me understand why i never have wanted to go on a cruise........a huddle of different personalities, alcohol, bad shows, small spaces...large ocean.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I resent that "bad shows" comment, as a former shipboard showband musician.... :P

Unless you're being very stupid (like, suicidally stupid), it's actually pretty hard to fall overboard. It's also very easy to get lost amongst many people and for your absense to not be noticed for some time - we're talking 10 decks plus of things to do, and cell phones don't work in the middle of the ocean so it's hard of you lose someone to find them again unless you have a prearranged meeting point and time. 4 hours is not a long time to lose someone for - all it takes is to be constantly missing each other.

Falling from deck 10 (Lido, often the first open public deck) and hitting the water is like hitting concrete from that height, so you're pretty much dead on impact. If you're really unlucky, you get dragged through the propellers too. And these ships move FAST, people, and they take a long time to stop and a wide circle to turn around (if you tip most of them beyond 17 degrees, they can't recover). It's no wonder that people who go overboard are so hard to locate.

There is no conspiracy here. People get drunk and do foolish things, and fall overboard. Occasionally someone pushes someone overboard. There are security guards on board, and if anything most people (particularly the crew!) would say that they're a little heavy-handed at times. But they can't be everywhere at once.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

I resent that "bad shows" comment, as a former shipboard showband musician.... :P

I thought about you later... :lol:

oh well...you offend some ppl some of the time....I was just being VJ flippant, as you know :thumbs:

i think with this info..and other bad publicity, they need to clean their act up quickly..regardless, if it a small amount of crime, to the total customer usage..it is now bad publicity and i see them being active in this area.

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Timeline
I know some people here who disappeared from a foreign cruise ship into the arms of a US citizen :)

:blush:

It was a US cruiseship...

:lol:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

178 sexually assaulted! Where was I when the Love Boat left the dock?

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know some people here who disappeared from a foreign cruise ship into the arms of a US citizen :)

:blush:

It was a US cruiseship...

:lol:

Yep - was thinking about you! Am I that transparent? :lol:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Hehehehe

Well it was either Thunderdncer's hubby or me, and since I'd posted on this thread.....

:whistle:

Edited by clmarsh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Strange I should come across this thread, as a story on our Australian news last night was of a court case where a very attractive, but as her family and ex-husband stated, a very prudish 42 year old woman. She was drugged, raped by eight men and found dead in their cabin. They had taken pictures of her in this state (maybe for the internet I thought). She had apparently died from the date-rape drug but they claimeded it had all been consensual on her part but somehow the authorities know that they had plans of throwing her body overboard but for too may other passengers. Apparently the ships captain had offered these 8 men a free cruise to make up for their cruise being an unhappy one. This story affected me deeply. Can't seem to get this poor womans face out of my mind. She had saved for ages to go on a cruise with some other female relatives. Such a devastatingly sad and degrading end to a happy family cruise.

Stella & Shadow

28-4-2005 Met On-line. Love at first sight (know that can happen now).

8-8-2005 Met in person in the US. Visa Waiver.

22-10-2005 Engaged.

2-11-2005 Flew back to Sydney. Many tears!

5-11-2005 Began visa journey.

2-12-2005 Shadow (Andrew) posts petition.

7-12-2005 NOA1 dated the 5-12-2005.

..................Seems like never ending waiting.

12-4-2006 NOA2 Yee Haa!!!!!!

11-5-2006 Packet 3 Arrives

12-5-2006 Posted Reply and did Police Check

15-5-2006 Medical in Sydney

19-5-2006 Packet 4 Arrives

30-5-2006 Sceduled Interview

..................Interview went well, just waiting on Criminal History checks to post back with that envelopee and passport to get visa.

5-6-2006 Received Criminal History Check in the mail and posted off back to consulate with passport etc hoping for it's return with visa in two weeks.

14-6-2006 Passport and visa recieved in mail. Visa issued the 13th.

24-6-2006 USA here I come

26-7-2006 Received Social Security Card in less than 5 working days after applying.

9-9-2006 Married