cynch

I-94 question (split topic)

12 posts in this topic

Not sure if you guys know this but the stamp you get going through Customs that has the date you entered and your leave by date is also considered to be the I-94. We used a copy of that very stamp page in my pp (from my last entry) to file AOS and never printed anything out from online, it's used to determine if you entered legally.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/880/~/definition-of-an-i-94

Hope that helps too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Not sure if you guys know this but the stamp you get going through Customs that has the date you entered and your leave by date is also considered to be the I-94. We used a copy of that very stamp page in my pp (from my last entry) to file AOS and never printed anything out from online, it's used to determine if you entered legally.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/880/~/definition-of-an-i-94

Hope that helps too.

i don't think that link says that the stamp IS the I-94. what is says is that whether or not a paper or electronic i-94 is issued, the traveler must leave on or before the date stamped in the passport or paper form.

also, for some applications, you will need the i-94 record number that is not indicated on the passport stamp. the stamp also does not also list your traveler classification, e.g. whether you entered on a K1 or B2, which makes a difference in what you are eligible to apply for (e.g. SSN). all that information is now part of the electronic i-94 available online.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

i don't think that link says that the stamp IS the I-94. what is says is that whether or not a paper or electronic i-94 is issued, the traveler must leave on or before the date stamped in the passport or paper form.

also, for some applications, you will need the i-94 record number that is not indicated on the passport stamp. the stamp also does not also list your traveler classification, e.g. whether you entered on a K1 or B2, which makes a difference in what you are eligible to apply for (e.g. SSN). all that information is now part of the electronic i-94 available online.

Straight from the website I posted.

Instead of a paper form, the visitor will be provided with an annotated stamp in the foreign passport. If provided a paper form, the admitting CBP Officer generally attaches the I-94 to the visitor's passport and stamps the departure date on the form.

It is indeed the I-94 together and goes with whatever visa you entered on. An I-94 is standard if you are a foreign visitor and is not specific so would not say what you entered on. I filed with I-94 on the stamp page because even back in oct 2011 when I entered, it was already electronic/in transition.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Straight from the website I posted.

Instead of a paper form, the visitor will be provided with an annotated stamp in the foreign passport. If provided a paper form, the admitting CBP Officer generally attaches the I-94 to the visitor's passport and stamps the departure date on the form.

It is indeed the I-94 together and goes with whatever visa you entered on. An I-94 is standard if you are a foreign visitor and is not specific so would not say what you entered on. I filed with I-94 on the stamp page because even back in oct 2011 when I entered, it was already electronic/in transition.

let me post the whole paragraph:

The I-94 is the Arrival / Departure Record, in either paper or electronic format, issued by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer to foreign visitors entering the United States. After April 30, 2013, most Arrival/Departure records will be created electronically upon arrival. Instead of a paper form, the visitor will be provided with an annotated stamp in the foreign passport. If provided a paper form, the admitting CBP Officer generally attaches the I-94 to the visitor's passport and stamps the departure date on the form.

In both circumstances, an electronic I-94 or paper I-94, the visitor must exit the U.S. on or before that date stamped on the form or in the passport.

the i-94 is either in paper form, or electronic format. the stamp, is not an i-94. in ADDITION to either a paper or electronic i-94, all visitors will be given a stamp in their passports that let them know the date they are allowed to stay in the US. if the stamp IS the i-94, then why do those that receive the paper form still need a stamp?

my I-94 did state which visa i entered on (K1), i had to print it out and bring it to the DOL, DMV, SSA, and put in a copy for AOS. the transition to electronic i-94 was in effect from april 30, 2013, so the online system is likely different from what you experienced in 2011. in addition, as i mentioned, the i-94 online comes with a record number that is not printed on the stamp in your passport. some agencies ask for that number.

anyway, my point is, for K1s who are applying for AOS, they DO need to submit a printout of the I-94 from the online system, not just the passport stamp.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Posts split from old and unrelated thread.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Disregard then.

Just rechecked my pp and yes it does state the visa class on the stamp. My latest stamp shows ARC with no leave date. My earlier one shows WT with leave date.

I never included the I-94 number at the time or a print out, but it was never an issue. We also did many things they say not to do, maybe the whole military spouse thing is why they overlooked it lol and why I was confused. Sorry OP! :)

Thanks for the response!

Hi Kittekat,

Thanks for the clarification. So, since now we are using an automated i-94, do we need to include in our application of AOS, the "Travel History" page of I-94, just the "Most Recent I-94" page?

There are 3 things, to be considered in Travel History, it states the following fields:

1. Arrival

2. Date

3. Port of Entry

In my case, the port of entry that is written there is a bit confusing. Bcoz I entered US, on Seattle Airport (which is my actual POE) and my last destination is Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport. But when I checked on my travel history page online, it shows MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, instead of SEATTLE-TACOMA INT'L AIRPORT.

It's just a bit confusing.

But if the travel history page is not needed on AOS application, and if the MOST RECENT I-94 (which comprises of I-94 #, MOST RECENT DATE OF ENTRY, CLASS OF ADMISSION, ADMIT UNTIL DATE, and NAME, PASSPORT #, & SOME BASIC INFO) is enough, I don't worry about that Travel History.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, for someone adjusting from a K-1 visa, you need the I-94. It states that in the I-485 instructions. Adjusting from the VWP does not have the same requirements as someone adjusting from a K-1. This is why there are two separate AOS forums here on VJ.

From the I-485 instructions >

10. Evidence of eligibility

A. Based on an immigrant petition

Attach a copy of the approval notice for an immigrant

petition that makes a visa number immediately

available to you, or submit a complete relative,

special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant

military petition that, if approved, will make a visa

number immediately available to you.

B. Based on admission as the K-1 fiancé(e) of a U. S.

citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen

Attach a copy of the fiancé(e) petition approval

notice, a copy of your marriage certificate, and your

Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Document.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

You need I-94 printout from the website. They need the I-94 Number. Also, they need the passport page that shows entry stamp. You MUST file printout of new and updated I-94 and photocopy of Visa page and entry stamp.

If you can not obtain your I-94 online, contact CBP office and they can fix the issue.

Also, if your passport number contain letters like (N 123456789) try sometime with and without letters. Sometimes you find it with letter and sometimes without.

The I-94 shows the following info:

Admission (I-94) Record Number: 12345678910

Most Recent Date of Entry: 2014 July XX
Class of Admission: K1
Admit Until Date: 2014 September XX

Details provided on the I-94 Information form:

Last/Surname: XXXXX
First (Given) Name: XXXXX

Birth Date: XXXXX
Passport Number: XXXXX

Country of Issuance: XXXXX

Good Luck :)

I-130 (Parent)

- Submitted June 2021

- 1st NOA (June 2021)

I-130 (Brother 1)

- Submitted (September 2019)

- 1st NOA (September 2019)

I-130 (Brother 2)

- Submitted (Not yet)

- 1st NOA (Not yet)

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So do not include the travel history page then? Just the first page that is accessed electronically for I-94 with the above information, with the visa and entry stamp attached. Correct?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.