newbud

Does it really work?

34 posts in this topic

In the midst of job search one consulting company approached me (since i have IT knowledge) and promised me a great job with excellent benefits. They told me that i have to just brush-up my IT skills for which they will provide a couple weeks training and i have to alter my resume. Since i don't have IT experience in US they will put fake experience for around 4+ years and i will land up in job. On the top of everything they said every consulting company is doing it so its pretty normal to fake experience of 5+ years. I am pretty shocked and talked to one of my friends working in IT and he said its working normally these days in IT. I am jobless and really want job right now. I really want to know if somebody got job by faking experience in IT. Does it really work? If not then what are the possible consequences?

Filed: Timeline

In the midst of job search one consulting company approached me (since i have IT knowledge) and promised me a great job with excellent benefits. They told me that i have to just brush-up my IT skills for which they will provide a couple weeks training and i have to alter my resume. Since i don't have IT experience in US they will put fake experience for around 4+ years and i will land up in job. On the top of everything they said every consulting company is doing it so its pretty normal to fake experience of 5+ years. I am pretty shocked and talked to one of my friends working in IT and he said its working normally these days in IT. I am jobless and really want job right now. I really want to know if somebody got job by faking experience in IT. Does it really work? If not then what are the possible consequences?

The scenario you've outlined is very common. And yes, it works. There are "relationships" between some of the guys who run these consulting firms and some of the guys who run large client corporations, ensuring you'll never get caught. The worst thing that can happen to you is you get kicked off a project, in which case they'll just put you somewhere else.

Downside: It's extremely humiliating.

That said...

I have questions.

Are they going to charge you for the training?

You say you have IT knowledge, can you elaborate? What is the source of your knowledge? How have you used this knowledge in the past?

Are you willing to take a position commensurate with your actual experience/knowledge levels?

That's extremely disappointing if this happens.

My question is, if you did this, what's to say that this company wouldn't falsify their promises of a great job to you? You get the job and turns out it pays 50% less with no benefits?

What happens when you get fired, and you don't have appropriate experience to get a new job. Are you going to beg this company for another, and be at their mercy for your whole life?

Not to mention the pressure of going to work each day and being totally incompetent for your job.

Is that the life you want? Worrying that someone will take away your ill-gotten gains at any time?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I hate these kind of people who purposely inflated glorified their resume, and yet can't do any F u * king thing after gaining employed.

No sympathy for them if they get fired eventually.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

That's extremely disappointing if this happens.

My question is, if you did this, what's to say that this company wouldn't falsify their promises of a great job to you? You get the job and turns out it pays 50% less with no benefits?

What happens when you get fired, and you don't have appropriate experience to get a new job. Are you going to beg this company for another, and be at their mercy for your whole life?

Not to mention the pressure of going to work each day and being totally incompetent for your job.

Is that the life you want? Worrying that someone will take away your ill-gotten gains at any time?

I know many people who have gone this route.

The way it happens is you land on a plane from Mumbai and they put you on your first assignment. You are humiliated and you wash out. It takes maybe a week.

Then the same consulting firm places you somewhere else. The same thing happens, but you go a few days more.

The cycle repeats itself. You are moved from client to client for a while. Now, unless you're some kind of abject fool, you've been trying all along. What happens when you try? You learn. You eventually become someone who can contribute to a project. And then you stick. And then you get laid off again at the first RIF, because while decent you're just not quite good enough to keep around after a reorg.

And by then, you have a real resume.

Life goes on. It's not all kittens and roses.

I know many people who have gone this route.

The way it happens is you land on a plane from Mumbai and they put you on your first assignment. You are humiliated and you wash out. It takes maybe a week.

Then the same consulting firm places you somewhere else. The same thing happens, but you go a few days more.

The cycle repeats itself. You are moved from client to client for a while. Now, unless you're some kind of abject fool, you've been trying all along. What happens when you try? You learn. You eventually become someone who can contribute to a project. And then you stick. And then you get laid off again at the first RIF, because while decent you're just not quite good enough to keep around after a reorg.

And by then, you have a real resume.

Life goes on. It's not all kittens and roses.

I am against this and all Indian work/H1B scams.

I knew it was India just from the story. Sad reputation to have, imo.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

It is what it is. They end up better here than they do there, so they do it. Not unlike how all those Central American kids will be better off here, than back home, despite the lack of public support. People do what's good for them.

And they end up fine. All that nonsense about doing what's right is just that - nonsense. Morals never put food on the table.

Maybe, but I still believe that this country has opportunities for people who are willing to work.

You could end up in the same place through honest means.

Maybe it's time to cut the home country's purse strings and strike out on your own without "special consultant" help.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It is what it is. They end up better here than they do there, so they do it. Not unlike how all those Central American kids will be better off here, than back home, despite the lack of public support. People do what's good for them.

And they end up fine. All that nonsense about doing what's right is just that - nonsense. Morals never put food on the table.

Exactly. You gain experience. So many people lie on their cvs.

I believe in winging it. If someone is willing to do the graft I think they should be given the chance. A great many amateurs in the past have ended up the top of their fields ( check the photographers in the 1960s)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I work for a large Indian Company and have not seen the issues with the zero knowledge H-1Bs.. For the most part they are knowledgeable and good at their jobs. I *have* seen a large problem with the offshore counterparts - they like to throw waves of freshers at us who are eager to learn but not to do work and it is rare to find someone who can do anything beyond following a line by line set of explicit instructions. Once they have enough training on a technology to put an entry on a resume they immediately start looking elsewhere..

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My company always performs a detailed background check for all new hires, including education, employment and criminal. If you manage to get through the interview, which I doubt without having experience, the background check would red flag you.

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Exactly. You gain experience. So many people lie on their cvs.

I believe in winging it. If someone is willing to do the graft I think they should be given the chance. A great many amateurs in the past have ended up the top of their fields ( check the photographers in the 1960s)

Exactly. Everyone has to forge their own path to success. If someone is willing to do it this way, more power to them. I won't judge. But if they end up interviewing with me the other end and I haven't already been taken care of, then it's goodbye.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.