Chemmy

OH Driver's License prior EAD anyone?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Our AOS and EAD was accepted this June, came in the States with a K1/K2 visa last March.

Now that my I-94 had technically expired, how do you go about driving in Ohio?

I brought in with me an International Driver's Permit but is it really just for tourists?

We don't know when this green card or EAD would arrive, so in the meantime are we really restricted to drive even with an International Driver's Permit?

Anybody from OH with the same issues?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Our AOS and EAD was accepted this June, came in the States with a K1/K2 visa last March.

Now that my I-94 had technically expired, how do you go about driving in Ohio?

I brought in with me an International Driver's Permit but is it really just for tourists?

We don't know when this green card or EAD would arrive, so in the meantime are we really restricted to drive even with an International Driver's Permit?

Anybody from OH with the same issues?

hi, as far as i know you can use ur international driving license only for few months, and as far as ur I-94 is expired you can not apply for driving license unless you get EAD or GC. (i may be wrong......but i myself checked that already.) same thing with driving permit (which u get before driving license) you can not apply for it cos they ask for I-94 or valid visa etc.... so for now........i guess we all (and here i say about myself too!!!) need to wait for docs from USCIS in order to apply for DL. So far you can download Ohio driving rules from the web page http://bmv.ohio.gov/ and start getting ready for the test....

P.S. Info i wrote is what i managed to learn myself regarding DL. If people from Ohio made it some how quicker or know more, i hope they will give more info...

K-1 timeline:

11-07-2013 - I-129F form sent ---> 11-15-2013 - NOA1 - e-mail received, transferred to California Service Center.

11-20-2013 - Alien registration number changed.

11-22-2013 - NOA1 hardcopy (I-797C)

12-13-2013 - NOA2 approval notification ---> 12-20-2013 - NOA2 hardcopy

01-08-2014 - NVC recieved ---->01-09-2014 - NVC left

01-13-2014 - Consulate recieved ----> 01-14-2014 - E-mail from the Consulate

01-16-2014 - NVC letter hardcopy ----> 01-23-2014- Medical done

02-18-2014- Interview (Approved) ----> 02-20-2014- Visa issued ----> 02-24-2014- Visa in hand

03-02-2014- US entry --->03-20-2014 - Social Security Number recieved --->04-24-2014 - Wedding

AOS timeline:

05-13-2014 - AOS package sent ---> 05-21-2014- NOA1 - e-mail received

05-24-2014 - NOA1 hardcopy (I-797C)

06-03-2014 - Biometrics appointment letter (for June 13)

06-12-2014 - USCIS web status for RFE

06-13-2014 - Biometrics done

06-16-2014 - RFE hardcopy in mail ---> 06-18-2014 - RFE answer sent by mail ---> 06-20-2014 - RFE delivered

08-05-2014 - EAD/ AP - APPROVED!!!! ---> 08-13-2014 - EAD/AP card delivered

09-05-2014 - InfoPass due to RFE and SSN (RFE delievered June 23 to NBC).

10-17-2014 - SSN recieved on married name ---> 12-12-2014 - update on USCIS web (RFE received on June 23), the case could not be tracked

02-17-2015 - GC approved (no interview) ---> 02-26-2015 - GC RECEIVED

08-13-2016 - address change via web --->09-13-2016 - Address change via mail (web failed to change correctly) --->10-06-2016 - Address change of sponsor

ROC:

11-21-2016 - package sent to CSC ---> 11-22-2016 - package delivered to CSC ---> 11-25-2016 - check cashed--->11-28-2016- NOA1 (dated 11/22/16) --->12-20-2016 -Biometrics appointment

07-18-2017-address change-> 05-10-2018 - GC Approved

N-400:

02-15-18 - Applied -> 03-09-18 - Bio app-> 04-04-18-interview notice-> 05-09-18-interview->05-10-18 - approved -> 06-07-18 - Oath appt notice -> 06-27-18 - Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Unless someone specifically from Ohio chimes in, I would HIGHLY recommend going to the DMV. Showing them the Permit you have from the Philippines and ask them if you are authorized to drive in the state of Ohio and for how long from the day you entered the state.

As far as getting a D/L or permit you will not be able to get one with an Expired I-94. They don't care about the K1 visa because it expires the minute you get to the POE for your first time.

Once you get your EAD it will be good for one year, and your D/L will expire the same day your EAD does.

Hope this helps a little if no one else chimes in from Ohio.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Family-based AOS to Moving Here and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You really need to check with your local DMV to be on the safe side. In general it seems that you can drive on your old licence but for a month or two depending on state, however they may consider you resident and not a tourist anymore in which case it will not apply.

Timeline

Thanks guys!

Well, it looks like I really have to wait for USCIS to issue that EAD or green card in order for me to drive legally.

Indeed, the International driver's permit is only for tourists.

Went back to waiting mode! :sleepy:

The following link is a useful thread regarding driving in Ohio during the AOS period:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/484549-drivers-license-in-ohio/

The email response from the BMV within the thread would suggest that you can drive on a foreign driving licence for up to a year.

Spoiler

K1

15 November 2013: Sent I-129F Package 

21 November 2013: NOA1 

20 December 2013: NOA2

23 January 2014: Medical (London)

11 April 2014: Interview - Approved!

29 April 2014: POE Chicago

20 June 2014: Married in DC

AOS

7 July 2014: Mailed AOSEAD & AP forms via USPS

14 July 2014: NOA1 Text & E-Mails (x3) received at 23:52hrs (Received Date: 07/11/2014)

14 July 2014: Cheque cashed & I-485 transferred to Nebraska Service Centre

18 July 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received (x3)

22 July 2014: Biometrics Letter rec'd (Appointment 07/31/2014)

23 July 2014: Early Biometrics walk-in at Cincinnati office successful!

05 September 2014: EAD & AP approved! (texts rec'd 16:45hrs)

11 September 2014: EAD/AP card mailed

12 September 2014: EAD/AP card in hand (delivered 9:54am)

18 October 2014: Potential interview waiver letter rec'd (Dated: 10/15/2014)

19 May 2015: I-485 approved! (No interview) Welcome letter mailed!

23 May 2015: I-797 (NOA2) Welcome notice received

27 May 2015: Green card received

ROC

ROC filing window opens 18 February 2017

16 February 2017: ROC packet mailed to CSC

18 February 2017: USPS Tracking - Ready for collection from PO Box

25 February 2017: NOA1 received dated 02/21/2017

03 March 2017: Received biometrics appointment letter dated 25th February 2017. Appointment on 16 March 2017.

16 March 2017: Biometrics completed

08 March 2018: Case (allegedly) transferred to the National Benefits Center (presumably for a combo interview)

04 April 2019: ROC approved (as part of N-400 combo interview)

N-400

18 February 2018: N-400 Application submitted online

21 February 2018: NOA1 Rreceived

23 February 2018: Biometrics appointment letter received. Appointment 13 March 2018. 

27 April 2018: Interview notice received. Interview Date: June 5, 2018. Request to reschedule sent as out of the country at that time.

04 April 2019: Attended interview ... PASSED!

11 April 2019: Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I arrived in a K1 in April and 2 weeks ago applied for AOS.

I went to the DMV in Parma and asked them about driving.

They informed me that you can drive on your Uk license for up to 1 year and that it is best to apply for your OH license before you apply for your social security card. AOS, EAD wasn't mentioned but she said it gets very complicated if you wait until after your Ss.

I was told that I will have to do the written part and the practical part of the test.

Hope this helps

Timeline

The following link is a useful thread regarding driving in Ohio during the AOS period:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/484549-drivers-license-in-ohio/

The email response from the BMV within the thread would suggest that you can drive on a foreign driving licence for up to a year.

Hello Derwood!

That is so helpful! Thank you so much!

Lifesaver indeed! I thought i would be bound at home for the duration.

They informed me that you can drive on your Uk license for up to 1 year and that it is best to apply for your OH license before you apply for your social security card. AOS, EAD wasn't mentioned but she said it gets very complicated if you wait until after your Ss.

I was told that I will have to do the written part and the practical part of the test.

Hope this helps

Many thanks!

Very helpful input stazie1

I'm hopeful!

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps

Do you know why it is better to apply for your driving licence before Social Security?

I've got my Social Security card, applied for a bank account. Planning on applying for AoS on Monday and see if I can get a permit on Monday too, since I never had a full licence.

Previous Visa & EAD/AP Timeline

K-1 Visa Timeline

22 March 2014 - Sent I-129F

See timeline for data in between these dates.

24 June 2014 - Interview

25 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Administrative Processing

26 June 2014 - CEAC Status: Issued

01 July 2014 - Received Visa

POE & Marriage

03 July 2014 - POE (BWI airport)

14 July 2014 - Marriage

Advanced Parole (I131)Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
31 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
27 September 2014 - EAD Combo Card Received

Employment Authorisation (I765) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
23 July 2014 - Initial Review - Received
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
20 September 2014 - Card in Production Update
22 September 2014 - Card in Production Update Again
25 September 2014 - Card Sent Update (Another update came later that day with USPS tracking code)
27 September 2014 - Card Received

Adjustment of Status (I-148) Timeline
21 July 2014 - Sent off
24 July 2014 - Acceptance - Fingerprint fee accepted and case processed at Nebraska Service Center
30 July 2014 - NOA1 Received
26 August 2014 - Biometrics Done
12 November 2014 - Notification of Potential Interview Waiver (NPIW) Received
26 March 2014 - Cleveland Field Office is requesting my file from NBC.
23 April 2014 - Green Card Ordered!

Avatar Photo by Henry Mühlpfordt / CC-BY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Do you know why it is better to apply for your driving licence before Social Security?

I've got my Social Security card, applied for a bank account. Planning on applying for AoS on Monday and see if I can get a permit on Monday too, since I never had a full licence.

In OH , first thing they're going to ask you in BMV is Social Security Card (need to have physical card with you). Don't see how can you get a license without it. Even when I was here on L-1B visa, had to have SS card to even start talking about drivers license.

Also, State Trooper interpretation of my polish license was "Sir, you can't drive with this thing here. I don't know what this is...."...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We're in Ohio too and I have my husband studying the Ohio Driver's Exam manual to prepare for the test. I'm assuming he will have to do the written and the actual driving test even though he had a driver's license from South America? We're basically waiting for his EAD before we even go to try to get the driver's license.

I hope I don't have to teach him the manuverability thing with the cones. lol

Chemmy we have a pretty close timeline and both in the Cleveland area. Please let me know what you find out and what is actually required when you go to get your license. I'd greatly appreciate it. THANK YOU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

We're in Ohio too and I have my husband studying the Ohio Driver's Exam manual to prepare for the test. I'm assuming he will have to do the written and the actual driving test even though he had a driver's license from South America? We're basically waiting for his EAD before we even go to try to get the driver's license.

I hope I don't have to teach him the manuverability thing with the cones. lol

Chemmy we have a pretty close timeline and both in the Cleveland area. Please let me know what you find out and what is actually required when you go to get your license. I'd greatly appreciate it. THANK YOU!

I had to do both even though I had Polish drivers license. I passed the test without any prep - walked in the BMV to find out what I need to do to get the license and decided to give it a try...

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I applied instruction last july 11 no ead..so they told for the approval of uscis... Now i go back there again coz i already goy my ead.. They stil.let me to wait again..coz they told that my middle name in my ead were just initial...hayyyy tired of them

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.