Ilovemyman

Discrimination on ap that's all

108 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

For too many AP lasts over 6 months up to several years. Anyone should be able to handle a reasonable amount of time of AP

but years, give me 3-6 months I am cool with that. Based on assumptions and without factual evidence dragging it out is not right.

The AP process is shrouded in mystery and there is no transparency, obvious for a few cases but not so for many others where it is routine.

If it is not completed after so and so many weeks/months then they need to approve unless there is FACTUAL evidence

and reasons to deny not because of mere speculation or a 'gut feeling' of the CO that was actually yesterdays beans he ate.

Lawyers are powerless because if they file a writ mandamus, the consulate can just deny because they want to.

Nothing except awareness can bring about change.

I have contacted my representative/senators and made them aware. If everyone else would too instead of just going with the flow

rowing down the river of deNile we may see change in the future. Instead people moan and groan about it but aren't active to make their

politicians aware and as soon as they themselves are out of AP they forget the others coming behind them.

I know that there is no known quota for certain countries and quotas are for other visa types but I wouldn't be

surprised at all if years down the road we will be enlightened to there being an unknown, not public knowledge quota count

for K1's and spousal visas and AP is used to deter and discourage to keep immigration numbers in check, especially from certain countries.

Of course the US would not want to admit to such discrimination as a leading nation if it is indeed so.

Going on a wild goose chase for months and years is just not my idea of a functional efficient immigration process.

Government consists of people. People aren't perfect ! There is always room for improvement.

Just because someone criticizes this country's AP process does not mean they should think twice about coming here, that is just

a ridiculous conclusion and I read it here more than once over and over again.

To those content with status quo who aren't even in AP themselves, I say get stuck in this black hole for a year and a half and then

come and tell me how great and necessary the process is.

Why do those who never have walked a mile in someone's AP shoes always cry the loudest that there is nothing wrong with it ?

1000 million times this.

I-130 Sent: 11 November 2013

I-130 1st i-797(NOA-1): 12 November 2013, Vermont (Dis-)Service Center (1 day in transit)

I-130 2nd i-797(NOA-2): 30 May 2014, Vermont (Total Dis-)Service Center (199 days in USCIS hell)

I-30 Received at NVC: 11 June 2014 (11 days in transit)

NVC Case # Assigned: 27 June 2014 (15 days to case number assigned)

DS-261 Completed: 15 July 2014 (18 days to DS-261 available)

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 17 July 2014

AOS Fee Bill Shows "Paid": 22 July 2014

AOS Package Sent Out:23 July 2014

AOS Package Recieved: 28 July 2014

DS-260 Completed: ?

IV Fee Bill Paid: ?

November 2014 USCIS Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqgp_fafY_R6dFI3cDREc2tNWV9qV09mMzN3WXR2dEE&usp=sharing#gid=3

I was in AP. Just because a person is not from a high fraud country, doesn't make you immune. And where it is written that delay is down to a 'gut feeling by the CO'? If it takes time, due to disorganization in a foreign country, or tracking down someone with a similar name, or whatever they are worried about, then that's what it takes.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

I was in AP. Just because a person is not from a high fraud country, doesn't make you immune. And where it is written that delay is down to a 'gut feeling by the CO'? If it takes time, due to disorganization in a foreign country, or tracking down someone with a similar name, or whatever they are worried about, then that's what it takes.

You got your Visa days after the interview. How where you in AP? Do you mean for the visa or for naturalization? The latter is not an issue, since you're with your spouse, it's the former we're talking about here.

Edit: I see you got the NVC AP, which makes even less sense than the embassy AP, so never mind. It was 3 months, which sucks but it IMO acceptable....it's the 1.2, and 3 year waits for people in places like Pakistan that are absolutely inexcusable. If a name check is taking more than 1 year I guarantee lots of different people are working on it and probably not doing a particularly good job.

Edited by thedude6752000

I-130 1st i-797(NOA-1): 12 November 2013, Vermont (Dis-)Service Center (1 day in transit)

I-130 2nd i-797(NOA-2): 30 May 2014, Vermont (Total Dis-)Service Center (199 days in USCIS hell)

November 2014 USCIS Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqgp_fafY_R6dFI3cDREc2tNWV9qV09mMzN3WXR2dEE&usp=sharing#gid=3

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I was told to my face by my fiance's CO that she "had a gut feeling" when I asked what is going on. True story. My own experience.

She also said that she did not "think" our marriage would be a lasting one for which she had no factual evidence. None.

Evidently she thought she had a crystal ball marriage predictor.

I asked her what made her think so and she said just a gut feeling. If she does her job a la gut feelings I know that other CO's do the same.

I read about long AP and refusals after AP and then the couples file again and succeed. That with a boat load of front loaded

good quality evidence submitted the first time around. I am not talking about obvious silly filings here.

If there was something factual there to begin with then why did it disappear during the second filing ?

Why did USCIS disregard the conoff's notes to revoke and approve the re file and why are couples then approved for a visa ?

If there was something fishy we would see a lot more re filings denied as well.

This is front loaded K1's with visits and all the trimmings, without NOID's to address, just the same old repeat filing.

I tell you why....because of the CO's speculative biased personal beliefs.....which they are not to do per memo I mentioned.

Ours certainly had it all wrong and that's a fact.

It does not take over a year to verify a document in a disorganized country.

It does not take a year for a name hit.

It is wrong to "take" that long to get their job done.

As I said I have no problem with AP in general and I can't stress that enough but for Pete's sake make it a sensible time length

and for good reasons or repair the dang broken system and improve it. I do not advocate defending something that does not work.

I point out the problem and suggest get active to have a small voice in bringing awareness.

If you don't mind prolonged AP then so be it, I do.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

How in the heck can someone in their right mind determine how long a marriage would last after a 10 minute interview ?

This is BS and those who think our government always gets it right are just plain wrong. People are put in AP for good reasons and bad

biased personal agenda reasons. End of story whether people want to admit it or not. Point is shorten it and have a dang good reason

to need to look deeper besides a gut feeling.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is 2014. Many people decide not to have children and the field manual to suggest that an age gap is an indication for fraud

is outdated. It may be the duty of an officer to make sure the two are 'on the same page' but frankly it is my opinion that it is

not the governments business if I want to procreate, adopt or not have any children at all and raise petunias instead.

It still is not the governments business !

It is about meeting requirements with good quality supporting evidence and meeting eligibility, not about being a fully functioning

baby making machine. The age gap discrimination is absurd. This cultural village mentality should not be a yard stick

to measure the "norm" with.

I am an individual and not the norm. I do not fit in your box.

Judge me as an individual and from the evidence I have submitted, not some dusty old colonial field manual.

A memo that went out to all consulates stated that a conoff is not to re adjudicate an approved petition and must have

factual evidence without personal bias, assumptions and speculative reasons to refuse a visa.

What we see time and time again is just that : a personal biased belief, assumptions and speculation.

I am not talking about national security, background checks, I am talking about sitting in AP for 16 long months and then

being refused on a "gut feeling."

That has to stop. Laws need to be changed to not give a conoff such wide discretionary powers they run wild with.

It may be on the books now but that does not mean it can't be changed and transcend into the modern age.

The old yard stick to measure fraud with and keep fraud out is no longer working, scammers come in and genuine couples are getting the run-around. Age gap discrimination is wrong.

Time for change.

Actually, what we see is what people choose to discuss on VisaJourney, which is a self-selected group to begin with. No one knows why people land in AP or for how long, and it's silly to suggest it's for the same reason for everyone.

You seem really, really focused on making sure the entire world works just the way you want it to, and demanding that the US ignore deeply ingrained local customs and cultures elsewhere in the world. It doesn't work like that, though–culture changes slowly over time, and not in consistent ways. More importantly, though, is that it is the job of people in these positions to determine your relationship status, and they have to work with what they have. If you had your way, fraud would almost certainly be higher, because paperwork? Taking someone at their word? The easiest things in the world to fake.

And since you seem to have this thing about hurling accusations at others: I never said you had to have children, just like I never said you had to follow the local customs of anyone. You seem to assume that a pragmatic acceptance of what immigration services are looking for also means someone's going to DO those things. That's not the point. The point is, if you're NOT doing the norm for the respected culture(s) involved, a person/couple needs to be prepared to explain it. Those are the red flags that are always mentioned by others.

People who don't want to justify and explain all of their choices probably should skip the immigration process and marry someone within their own passport group. *shrug*

Timeline

If you had your way, fraud would almost certainly be higher, because paperwork? Taking someone at their word? The easiest things in the world to fake.

Oh yes, then if there were more fraud with marriage visas we would certainly have more people entering the country illegaly (perish the thought!), which as we all know is not currently happening at all right now. Just what would we do with all of those illegal immigrants? Thank God we don't suffer from large amounts of illegal immigration or visa fraud right now, one just shudders to contemplate that situation.

Edited by thedude6752000

Timeline

Actually, what we see is what people choose to discuss on VisaJourney, which is a self-selected group to begin with. No one knows why people land in AP or for how long, and it's silly to suggest it's for the same reason for everyone.

You seem really, really focused on making sure the entire world works just the way you want it to, and demanding that the US ignore deeply ingrained local customs and cultures elsewhere in the world. It doesn't work like that, though–culture changes slowly over time, and not in consistent ways. More importantly, though, is that it is the job of people in these positions to determine your relationship status, and they have to work with what they have. If you had your way, fraud would almost certainly be higher, because paperwork? Taking someone at their word? The easiest things in the world to fake.

And since you seem to have this thing about hurling accusations at others: I never said you had to have children, just like I never said you had to follow the local customs of anyone. You seem to assume that a pragmatic acceptance of what immigration services are looking for also means someone's going to DO those things. That's not the point. The point is, if you're NOT doing the norm for the respected culture(s) involved, a person/couple needs to be prepared to explain it. Those are the red flags that are always mentioned by others.

People who don't want to justify and explain all of their choices probably should skip the immigration process and marry someone within their own passport group. *shrug*

1. No where did I even remotely suggest AP is the same reason for everyone.

2. No, just my life and I like true freedom without the gov hinting that women should be of child bearing age when marrying with an age gap.

3. It is their job to determine eligibility, met requirements and bona fide relationships, my STATUS was already established. I give them what they need so they can work with what they have, which is a boat load full of bona fide evidence. I had already established all that in a post before.

4. Oh the horror, taking someone at their word with all the bona fide evidence and USCIS approved documents. Can't have that. Nope.

5. Please tell me where I "hurled accusations at others"...I am all ears !

6. Fact is yes, often couples are refused due to age gap and yes, they actually expect the woman to bear a child for her husband or they assume the relationship is fake. Of course explain it but then accept the explanation and don't use it for a reason to deny.

7.People who tell others to skip the immigration process and marry their own passport group should probably first comprehend what was

actually said. Explain yes, justify not so much, as it implies something else than a mere logical explanation of my choice.

Old men and 18 year olds seem to be ok, however woe to the woman who is older than her husband. Double standards.

Yes, you said it correctly cultures change slowly .....however field manuals don't seem to keep up, they are frozen in time.

Now show me where I hurled accusations at you and others so I can apologize for them. I do not see any. I merely expounded on

my opinion of the system. ;)

Spoiler

Filed: Timeline

to the 'dude'...if you don't like my country, please leave it now. India has a caste system...discrimination and racism on steroids.....

to the OP: the US of A is entitled to make its own laws and policies....period.

so many 'experts' from countries that have barely achieved third world status....has anyone from our government contacted any of you to come and take over our legislative process? No? hmmm....that is not surprising.

Timeline

to the 'dude'...if you don't like my country, please leave it now. India has a caste system...discrimination and racism on steroids.....

so many 'experts' from countries that have barely achieved third world status....has anyone from our government contacted any of you to come and take over our legislative process? No? hmmm....that is not surprising.

No, not yet. America is my birthplace, it's the only place I have citizenship, and I am not prepared to leave right now. I have every right to criticize this country, and if you don't like people having that right then you're free to leave as well.

Edit: What the hell is this racist "you people" bullsh!t? I'm white in case you didn't guess genius, it's my wife that's Indian. I was born here as was my father and his father before him and his before him.

And when I leave, you're right that India is not a better place to live, but Germany and a whole hell of a lot of other places in Europe. Just because India is a worse place for general standard of living does not mean that the US is the best, in fact on almost all indexes of life quality the US scores at the bottom of the industrialized world.

Edited by thedude6752000

Timeline

Big fail.

So let me get this straight, if someone (a USC at that) has an opinion that opposes a part of the immigration system then he should leave ? Seriously ?

How un- American. I chuckle how other countries are put into comparison of the US whenever someone has a discussion on what

is wrong and what could be better with the US. It gets crazy like someone insulted your momma. Do you honestly agree

with everything that goes down in the US ?

The immigration system and that includes AP length, sure could use an overhaul. No need for defensive posturing.

pointing to the door. No need at all and totally uncalled for.

Spoiler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

AP can also be used by a CO as a paternalistic method of "protecting" the USA citizen sponsor. They are responsible for all USA citizens, sometimes they want to save the USA fiancee or spouse form themselves....perhaps they feel they know something but just cant prove it....since CO's are immune to legal responsibility, they can take it upon themselves to be paternalistic.

The problem with it is that they don't tell people what is going on...its as if its a national security secret or something.....they should tell you....your case is being reviewed.....expect to wait X months..something like that...telling people nothing is the worst.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The OP is saying the process may be unfair. They are not saying they dont like our country.

I love the USA, but I cant stand some of its laws and especially bureaucracy. That does not mean I should leave it!

Having a strong border with reasonable screening is a good thing...having an opaque immigration process with ridiculous rechecks and foot dragging is something else....

I dont know that AP is discrimination....but it is cry disruptive to the life of both the potential immigrant and their US family members...we at least deserve an explanation of why our case is taking so long......

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Remember the question on the application was did you benefit from the drug trafficking crime and you said yes. So now I would gather they are investigating to what extent or the status of your father.

Yes, ok Dwheels, but I'm me asking for a visa, not my father!

2FMbp1.png

I-130 / F-2A ( Spouse of LPR ) varie_amore_10.gif

To see every step go to my Immigration Story..

02.13.2012 NOA 1 - PRIORITY DATE

11.20.2013 NOA 2 - APPROVAL DATE

03.07.2014 CASE COMPLETE

04.04.2014 INTERVIEW LETTER

05.20.2014 MEDICAL EXAMINATION

05.21.2014 INTERVIEW DATE

06.03.2014 AP...THE WAIT CAN BE FROM 1 TO 4 MONTHS...

08.08.2014 YET IN AP, STATUS UPDATE DATE CHANGE AT TODAY!! AUGUST 8 !! YUPPY!

08.11.2014 YET IN AP...AT TODAY HAVE PASSED 7 WEEKS (counting business days)

08.12.2014 OMG!! TODAY VISA STATUS SAY READY!!! I can't believe!!!

08.13.2014 VISA STATUS ISSUED!!!!!

08.24.25014 POE

lineacuori.gif

N-400 My hubby's Naturalization varie_amore_10.gif

PHOENIX LOCKBOX

07.14.2014 N-400 MAILED

07.17.2014 N-400 DELIVERED

07.24.2014 N-400 ACCEPTANCE CONFIRMATION LETTER

08.08.2014 FINGERPRINT LETTER

08.18.2014 FINGERPRINT APPOINTMENT DATE

28.09.2014 INTERVIEW LETTER

22.10.2014 INTERVIEW DATE

30.10.2014 OATH CERIMONY FINALLY US CITIZEN!!!!

11.07.2014 US Passport Received!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Remember the question on the application was did you benefit from the drug trafficking crime and you said yes. So now I would gather they are investigating to what extent or the status of your father.

And no, There were two questions in that question, so if in one question I need to aswer yes I could not put no, because for each question you had to choose yes or no..

2FMbp1.png

I-130 / F-2A ( Spouse of LPR ) varie_amore_10.gif

To see every step go to my Immigration Story..

02.13.2012 NOA 1 - PRIORITY DATE

11.20.2013 NOA 2 - APPROVAL DATE

03.07.2014 CASE COMPLETE

04.04.2014 INTERVIEW LETTER

05.20.2014 MEDICAL EXAMINATION

05.21.2014 INTERVIEW DATE

06.03.2014 AP...THE WAIT CAN BE FROM 1 TO 4 MONTHS...

08.08.2014 YET IN AP, STATUS UPDATE DATE CHANGE AT TODAY!! AUGUST 8 !! YUPPY!

08.11.2014 YET IN AP...AT TODAY HAVE PASSED 7 WEEKS (counting business days)

08.12.2014 OMG!! TODAY VISA STATUS SAY READY!!! I can't believe!!!

08.13.2014 VISA STATUS ISSUED!!!!!

08.24.25014 POE

lineacuori.gif

N-400 My hubby's Naturalization varie_amore_10.gif

PHOENIX LOCKBOX

07.14.2014 N-400 MAILED

07.17.2014 N-400 DELIVERED

07.24.2014 N-400 ACCEPTANCE CONFIRMATION LETTER

08.08.2014 FINGERPRINT LETTER

08.18.2014 FINGERPRINT APPOINTMENT DATE

28.09.2014 INTERVIEW LETTER

22.10.2014 INTERVIEW DATE

30.10.2014 OATH CERIMONY FINALLY US CITIZEN!!!!

11.07.2014 US Passport Received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.