RK_and_Inday

Q: Ticket name Passport (Maiden) Name or New Married Name for Return visit to Philippines from U.S?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We, Inday, Filipina, and RK, U.S. citizen, are considering a trip to Philippines soon, visiting family for several weeks. We have a question about what is appropriate name to have on Inday’s airline ticket. Currently, Inday’s passport is still in her maiden name (firstname maiden-middlename maiden-surname-as-last-name). However, the two-year permanent resident card (“green card”) shows married name (firstname maiden-surname-as-middlename husband-surname-as-last-name).

Which of these two name forms is to be used on the airline ticket? To match passport or green card? (We ask because we know Philippine passport is need for visit to Philippines, but the Permanent Resident Card is needed to enter the U.S. but know name on ticket must match ID).

Thank you akk very much for your continuing and always welcome help.

RK and Inday

P.S. Yes, we did use “advanced search” feature but found discrepant answers, and in older posts, so were hoping to find what is the current and correct answer.

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

The name that matches the passport. Bring the marriage certificate to explain why the green card has a different name.

I'm the Beneficiary
N400 April 2017 fillers: https://goo.gl/cp2Uxz
Support group for Romanian-American couples--> https://www.facebook.com/groups/520291304693940/

Timeline

The answer is "match the green card" Inday needs to use her married name because she's legally married to R.K. and her green card needs to match to her plane ticket. Inday's green card is now her permit to enter the US. To play safe just bring Inday's married certificate.

No, no, no! The first poster is right.

We, Inday, Filipina, and RK, U.S. citizen, are considering a trip to Philippines soon, visiting family for several weeks. We have a question about what is appropriate name to have on Inday’s airline ticket. Currently, Inday’s passport is still in her maiden name (firstname maiden-middlename maiden-surname-as-last-name). However, the two-year permanent resident card (“green card”) shows married name (firstname maiden-surname-as-middlename husband-surname-as-last-name).

Which of these two name forms is to be used on the airline ticket? To match passport or green card? (We ask because we know Philippine passport is need for visit to Philippines, but the Permanent Resident Card is needed to enter the U.S. but know name on ticket must match ID).

Thank you akk very much for your continuing and always welcome help.

RK and Inday

P.S. Yes, we did use “advanced search” feature but found discrepant answers, and in older posts, so were hoping to find what is the current and correct answer.

The answer is "match the green card" Inday needs to use her married name because she's legally married to R.K. and her green card needs to match to her plane ticket. Inday's green card is now her permit to enter the US. To play safe just bring Inday's married certificate.

No, No NO!

The first answer is right. The ticket must match the passport. The passport is the id they require to get through security. The marriage certificate explains why the green card is different.

Also, if you can, get the new passport while you're in PH. But keep the old one and show them both when you get on the plane to return to the US. Then you won't have this problem again.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

the first poster is right, match the ticket with the passport and bring the marriage certificate to explain why the green card is on a different name.

USCIS

03/01/2014 - I-130 Mailed
03/07/2014 - NOA 1
03/24/2014 - NOA 2
03/26/2014 - Case shipped to NVC

NVC

04/02/2014 - Case received at NVC
05/01/2014 - Case# and IIN generated
05/06/2014 - DS-261 available
05/06/2014 - DS-261 completed
05/07/2014 - AOS bill generated
05/07/2014 - AOS Fee paid
05/09/2014 - AOS in "Paid" status
05/16/2014 - AOS package sent

05/19/2014 - AOS package scanned
05/14/2014 - IV bill generated
05/16/2014 - IV Fee paid
05/20/2014 - IV in "Paid" status
05/20/2014 - DS-260 available
05/21/2014 - DS-260 completed
05/27/2014 - IV package sent

05/29/2014 - IV package scanned
06/17/2014 - IV Package False Checklist/AOS Approved
07/03/2014 - Case Completed
07/09/2014 - Interview Scheduled
07/16/2014 - Case shipped to USEM

MEDICAL/EMBASSY

06/19/2014 - Medical

08/11/2014 - Interview

The first poster is right. 1942.gif

Be sure to have your marriage certificate as well as her green card with you when you travel. You may think about getting her passport changed so all documents match. You will need to file a ROM (report of marriage) and then change the name on the passport. You can do this while in the Philippines or when you return. Be aware they will take the old passport so you may want to wait till you return stateside to change the passport but it all depends on how much time you will be spending in the Phil.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Sorry, forgot one important item concerning the ROM. You must do the report of marriage at the consulate with jurisdiction over the location the marriage took place. So find your consulate and begin the process with them. The ROM only takes about 2 weeks to complete. Get the forms and instructions from THAT consulate as some consulate have different requirements. Go figure. As I say you can't make this stuff up about government.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

So, summarily: thus far, the majority recommendation is to match the name on airline ticket to the (maiden) name on the passport. Also noted is to bring the marriage certificate as explanatory document regarding passport name being different from green card name. Also, Greenbaum, thank you for additional info re: ROM.

Question: as mentioned, previous VJ posts also gave discrepant answers. To help us (RK and Inday) understand better--and also to help future members who may be searching for the answer to this same question--can any of the respondents to our post explain from where the information you provided us here was obtained? (Experience? Government web site? Or....????)

Thank you to all those responding to our question. As always, we appreciate all the help from our fellow VJ members!

--RK and Inday

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Filed: Timeline

The first poster is right. 1942.gif

Be sure to have your marriage certificate as well as her green card with you when you travel. You may think about getting her passport changed so all documents match. You will need to file a ROM (report of marriage) and then change the name on the passport. You can do this while in the Philippines or when you return. Be aware they will take the old passport so you may want to wait till you return stateside to change the passport but it all depends on how much time you will be spending in the Phil.

Some Phil consulates in the US (maybe all) and the DFA will actually let you keep the passport while your replacement/renewal is in process. Just tell them you are travelling soon. If you do choose this method, you will have to physically pickup (as opposed to having it mailed back) your passport as they need to cancel the old one during pickup time.

As for timeframes: From the US, it takes about 8 weeks to get a passport. If you happen to be in Manila, you can get one using 'rush processing' in about 7 working days. Also it's more than 2x the price to get it in the US compared to the Phils. HTH

Edited by yannix

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

So, summarily: thus far, the majority recommendation is to match the name on airline ticket to the (maiden) name on the passport. Also noted is to bring the marriage certificate as explanatory document regarding passport name being different from green card name. Also, Greenbaum, thank you for additional info re: ROM.

Question: as mentioned, previous VJ posts also gave discrepant answers. To help us (RK and Inday) understand better--and also to help future members who may be searching for the answer to this same question--can any of the respondents to our post explain from where the information you provided us here was obtained? (Experience? Government web site? Or....????)

Thank you to all those responding to our question. As always, we appreciate all the help from our fellow VJ members!

--RK and Inday

So you want facts, but don't want to do a google search for government websites? Hmm... need someone else to search for you? Why ask for opinions here on VJ then insist on the "just the facts ma'am" :lol: (just pulling on your leg)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Please check with the country(s) you are traveling to for their entry requirements. Please call Transportation Security Administration (TSA) about their requirement for name match on travel documents (Secured Flight) at 1 (866) 289-9673 or by email tsa-contactcenter@dhs.gov )

For more information on requirements see TSA Secured Flight .

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Some Phil consulates in the US (maybe all) and the DFA will actually let you keep the passport while your replacement/renewal is in process. Just tell them you are travelling soon. If you do choose this method, you will have to physically pickup (as opposed to having it mailed back) your passport as they need to cancel the old one during pickup time.

As for timeframes: From the US, it takes about 8 weeks to get a passport. If you happen to be in Manila, you can get one using 'rush processing' in about 7 working days. Also it's more than 2x the price to get it in the US compared to the Phils. HTH

We updated my wife's passport at an outreach program thru the Chicago consulate. They did not take away or invalidate her old passport, and we were not asked about travel plans, nor did we have any at the time. The new passport was mailed to us. She still has both yet, although I believe the one in her maiden name has now expired. Which consulate required pick up or giving up the old passport? This might be good information to share, as it may affect some people's plans.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

RK/Inday,

Agree: Name on the tickets must match the name in the passport.

Regarding "New passport due to change in name" or "Renewal of Passport"...(specifically for the Philippines Consulate General in San Francisco as they have jurisdiction over Seattle, WA (ours), one has to make an appearance IN PERSON. As for ourselves, this wouldn't be feasible, economically or otherwise. Obviously I/we don't know which consulate has jurisdiction over your area, so check their website. My understanding is that this requirement applies to ALL consulates but I/we could be wrong.

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/philippines-sf/consular-services-sf/faq-sf/#passport

New Passport due to Change in Name

The Philippines has instituted the electronic passport (ePassport) system for all its citizens. The ePassport features microchip technology and a host of other security features thereby ensuring that Philippine passports are virtually tamper-proof. ePassport issuance is also compliant with the security standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). The Philippine ePassport has an integrated circuit (chip) within its pages containing data that are essential in verifying the identity of the passport holder. These include the personal biographical information found on the data page of the passport, the biometrics of the passport holder, the unique chip identification number, and a digital signature to verify the authenticity of the data stored on the chip. The chip technology allows the information stored in an ePassport to be read by special chip readers at almost every international port of entry.

The Embassy/Consulate General receives and processes applications for ePassports, which in turn is sent to the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila for printing and issuance. Please allow at least 6 weeks for the entire process up to release of passport to applicant.

The Embassy/Consulate General advises all Philippine passport holders, whose passports are expiring within the next 6 months, to renew their passports if they intend to travel within the aforementioned period.

All Filipino citizens applying for passports with the Philippine Embassy/Consulate General will no longer need to submit photographs, as their picture, together with their fingerprints and signature, will be taken on-site. This means that all passport applicants, regardless of age, are henceforth required to appear personally.

Regarding "New passport due to change in name" or "Renewal of Passport"...(specifically for the Philippines Consulate General in San Francisco as they have jurisdiction over Seattle, WA (ours), one has to make an appearance IN PERSON. As for ourselves, this wouldn't be feasible, economically or otherwise. Obviously I/we don't know which consulate has jurisdiction over your area, so check their website. My understanding is that this requirement applies to ALL consulates but I/we could be wrong.

You're correct that all consulates require a personal appearance now. I believe all the consulates have outreach programs to reach their far flung citizens in their respective area of responsibility. And I'm fairly sure I've heard of the San Fran consulate having those in Seattle, WA. As long as you keep tabs on where they're gonna be, there's usually not the need to travel quite so far.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're correct that all consulates require a personal appearance now. I believe all the consulates have outreach programs to reach their far flung citizens in their respective area of responsibility. And I'm fairly sure I've heard of the San Fran consulate having those in Seattle, WA. As long as you keep tabs on where they're gonna be, there's usually not the need to travel quite so far.

Yep Caryh...you're right as well. :-) One must regularly check their jurisdictional consulate to see if/when they offer an outreach program; .I should have added that caveat. There's one June 20-22 or something like that here in Seattle but obligations prohibit us from attending. I was very surprised to see that an in person appearance was required...other than what you pointed out.

Good food for thought for other members considering this route. I/we probably will be forced to attempt renewal on our next visit to the Phils.

Regards

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

--RK and Inday

From my personal experience, on my first travel, my ticket had <FirstName> <Passport Last Name or Maiden Name> <Greencard Last Name or Married Name>. I had my greencard and marriage certificate with me the whole time.

I didn't run into any issues though the check-in agent advised me to use the name in my greencard which I did on my second travel to the Philippines, BUT it was a huge mess at the Philippine airport cos they didn't know how to deal with it. They took copies of my greencard and marriage certificate, had like 5 people look at it, but at the end, they let me check-in.

I flew to Guatemala and Canada using my married (greencard) name with no issues whatsoever.

I never updated my passport and now it's expired but thank goodness I gained my US Citizenship so I didn't have to deal with it again.

Edited by J_d_Petitioner

:idea:PERSONAL IR-5 GUIDE :idea:WIKI - NVC Process

IR-5 For Both Parents
2014-04-10 │ mailed Petition to Phoenix Lockbox via USPS
2014-04-14NOA1 Date
2014-05-09 │ Approved (19 Business Days)
2014-05-09 │ Case Sent to NVC
2014-06-20 │ Received Case # & IIN via Phonecall

2014-06-30 │ DS261 available

2014-07-01 │ AOS Bill recevied and pai

2014-07-07 │ AOS package delivered

2014-08-14 │ DS260 Bill and paid

2014-08-18 │ Civil Documents delivered

2014-08-26 │ AOS checklist received

2014-08-28 │ AOS checklist delivered

2014-10-15 │ CASE COMPLETE

2014-11-10 │ Forwarded to Embassy

2014-11-13 │ Received by Embassy

2014-11-18 │ Medical Exam-Sputum Required

2015-02-18 │ INTERVIEW - Passed (Issued)

2015-02-24 │ Visa in Hand

2015-02-27 │ POE - Dallas

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.