RobNYC

Getting my Brazilian Girlfriend American Citizenship

36 posts in this topic

Girlfriend? She needs to apply for K1 visa and then adjust status before she can apply for citizenship. She can't apply citizenship right away. Never heard of such application.

Do you want to marry her in US or Brazil?

Marry in US - K1 visa

Marry in Brazil - CR1 visa

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Read the Guides.

It's not challenging to do the paperwork if you're good at reading and following instructions.

The process will take about a year from filing to getting visas.

You can bring her as a fiancée with a K-1. You would need to fet marry in the US within 90 days after she enters. Then, you need to file for their green cards.

Alternatively. You can go to Brazil to get marry and file for a spousal visa for your wife and an immigration visa for her son. When they enter, they automatically fet green cards.

These are outlines. Read the Guides to compare them to see which way is best for you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from US Citizenship General Discussion to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~Inquiry about family visas~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Thank you both very much. I prefer to marry her in New York because I have a much larger family than she does. But I have no problem marrying her in Brazil. If I were fluent in Portuguese, I would consider moving to Brazil to be with her. Ana speaks English fairly well, but her 15 year old son is fluent in English.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Oh, by the way.

You are not getting US citizenship for anyone.

A green card is not US citizenship.

Your girlfriend would need to have a green card for at least 3 years and be married to a USC for 3 years and live with that USC spouse for the 3 years prceeding filing for US citizenship.

Her son can apply for US citizenship after being a green card holder for 5 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The K-1 route is definitely your best alternative. Then after you get married and adjust status, she will get a 2-year conditional green card. Then after that you need to remove the conditions and she will get a 10-year green card. Once she has been a resident for 3 years she can apply for citizenship.

I did the IR-1/CR-1 (we married first then applied for the GC) process and that was a little more complicated than the K-1, so if you want her to move to the US as soon as possible look into getting her a K-1.

N-400 (based on 3-year marriage rule)
06/05/2014 Application Sent
06/06/2014 Application Received in Phoenix

06/09/2014 Priority Date

06/11/2014 Notice Date

06/12//2014 Check Cashed
06/12/2014 Received email/text receipt confirmation from Phoenix Lockbox

06/17/2014 Biometrics Letter mailed
06/20/2014 Biometrics Letter Received

06/24/2014 Biometrics Walk-in

06/26/2014 In line for Interview

07/03/2014 Original Biometrics Appointment

07/29/2014 Yellow Letter Received

09/05/2014 Interview letter Received

10/07/2014 Interview

10/17/2014 Received email/text that oath has been scheduled

• 2 months later...

My girlfriend is coming here on a tourist Visa to meet my Family. She hired a company to handle the paperwork. They are telling her to delete our Facebook history of each other because it might cause a problem with her obtaining a Visa. She is stressed out that she may be denied a tourist Visa on account of Brazilian women coming to this country to find an American husband. We have over 40,000 messages back and forth to each other on Facebook.

Is there any credibility to what this company is telling her?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My girlfriend is coming here on a tourist Visa to meet my Family. She hired a company to handle the paperwork. They are telling her to delete our Facebook history of each other because it might cause a problem with her obtaining a Visa. She is stressed out that she may be denied a tourist Visa on account of Brazilian women coming to this country to find an American husband. We have over 40,000 messages back and forth to each other on Facebook.

Is there any credibility to what this company is telling her?

What is there on her facebook that could possibly harm her visa?

Unless you've been exchanging messages saying that you're only marrying for a greencard then surely lots of fb messages just suggest that you're serious about each other.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

I thin the company is trying to hide that you have a relationship. Fire that company, they are trying to get you to lie, and that can make her banned from the US. I don't think you want that.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 3 weeks later...

And, another reason not to listen and do this -- when it comes time to document your relationship for the immigrant visa, you will have deleted a HUGE source of proof of the length/strength of your relationship!

She's much better off just going to the visa interview and answering all questions openly and truthfully.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Her travel Visa was approved on Tuesday. She flew to Rio, and they approved her after a few short questions. She will be in New York soon to meet my family. I'm elated.

Her tourist visa, right? I can only hope that she was truthful about her intentions at her interview and will be forthcoming if questioned by CBP upon arrival. Otherwise, it might come back to bite her later (as it should).

• 2 months later...

My girlfriend left New York to go back to Brazil to get affairs in order to move here. The next time she comes, we will marry. She also has a 15 year old son that she will be bringing with her. I am calling the department of education to find out how to transfer her son into a local high school.

My question is that since she already has a visa that is good for 4 months of travel this year, does she need to reapply for a fiance visa?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.