RP&SP

Appeal denial ok K1 visa

142 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

(off topic quote and comment removed- VJ Moderation)

And I agree, this thread has gone way off topic. Apologies to the OP.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove off topic content

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

thread closed for review.

After review, I am re-opening this thread for the OP's benefit.

I have gone through and removed pages of off topic posts and posts with extraneous,irrelevant and misleading information. I have also edited many more posts to remove extraneous and irrelevant information and retaining only the content that directly relates to the OP's situation. I have also done some housekeeping, tidying up some inadvertent double and triple posts that look like VJ hiccoughed while they were posting.

I am also issuing a warning. Stay on topic. Do NOT bring in extraneous commentary that has no immediate relevance to the OPs exact situation. Do not speculate. Do not introduce red herrings. Check the accuracy of your posting as misinformation can have serious repercussions. Please be respectful of the OP and her situation - this is her thread and her concerns and is not a bandwagon for anyone else's personal agendas. If you wish to discuss any cases or circumstances or experiences or past history, then please start your own thread and do not derail the OP's thread.

Any further posts that do not restrict themselves to the OPs immediate circumstances or adds confusion or misdirection or extraneous content that provides no useful additional information for the OP will be removed and result in a thread ban for the poster.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Okay, I wasn't going to add anything to this, as it seemed to be going all over the place, but I can't help myself.

I think urging a push for a second interview is pretty useless at this point -- the interviewing officer and their supervisor have already gone over the case; it is highly unlikely that a second interview a) would be granted, or b) result in a different decision even if it was granted. A congressional representative pushing for one will not change the visa officer's opinion. All they need to say in response is that a senior officer reviewed the decision and it was consistent with US law. And a lawyer will not win an appeal of the case, either. Added to that the time it would take for any of these actions, and it seems like a waste of time and money, IMO.

As others have pointed out, the refusal was not because of the date on which you got engaged -- it was because they did not believe that there was a true relationship and the visa was sought only for immigration purposes. I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE -- but if you read one of the OP's messages where she describes the relationship, if does not read like a love relationship. The information was all about how long they families have known each other, how they grew up together, how they lived close to one another all of their lives, how they went to school together -- all things you could say about a good friend or brother -- not the love of your life. There is nothing about when they realized they fell in love, how they can't wait to start their lives together, etc., etc. that the visa officer would usually see/expect to see. Again, I know this is not necessarily the case, but trying to present it from the visa officer's perspective. Personally, I married my best friend in the world, so I understand how these factors can solidify a marriage -- but it's not the kind of descriptors that a visa interviewer is going to expect to see/hear.

New K1 petition or get married and file for a CR-1, as others have proposed, seem like the best, quickest options -- again, IMO.

Edited by jan22

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Okay, I wasn't going to add anything to this, as it seemed to be going all over the place, but I can't help myself.

I think urging a push for a second interview is pretty useless at this point -- the interviewing officer and their supervisor have already gone over the case; it is highly unlikely that a second interview a) would be granted, or b) result in a different decision even if it was granted. A congressional representative pushing for one will not change the visa officer's opinion. All they need to say in response is that a senior officer reviewed the decision and it was consistent with US law. And a lawyer will not win an appeal of the case, either. Added to that the time it would take for any of these actions, and it seems like a waste of time and money, IMO.

As others have pointed out, the refusal was not because of the date on which you got engaged -- it was because they did not believe that there was a true relationship and the visa was sought only for immigration purposes. I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE -- but if you read one of the OP's messages where she describes the relationship, if does not read like a love relationship. The information was all about how long they families have known each other, how they grew up together, how they lived close to one another all of their lives, how they went to school together -- all things you could say about a good friend or brother -- not the love of your life. There is nothing about when they realized they fell in love, how they can't wait to start their lives together, etc., etc. that the visa officer would usually see/expect to see. Again, I know this is not necessarily the case, but trying to present it from the visa officer's perspective. Personally, I married my best friend in the world, so I understand how these factors can solidify a marriage -- but it's not the kind of descriptors that a visa interviewer is going to expect to see/hear.

New K1 petition or get married and file for a CR-1, as others have proposed, seem like the best, quickest options -- again, IMO.

We have established numerous times that a second interview may not be granted, we also have established that if granted a second

interview, it may not have a positive outcome.

We further have repeatedly stated that a representative pushing for a second interview will not change the officers opinion.

What we did establish is that a congressional inquiry MAY grant the beneficiary a second interview and MAY have a positive

outcome if he is able to convince the CO that they have a bona fide relationship this time around. I have seen it before and it worked.

Not often but why not try even if you have 1 chance out of 10 ?!

Of course an appeal is useless. However, pushing for a second interview is not useless, there is no wasting time because this can be

accomplished in days. There is plenty of time to multitask, getting ready to re file AND taking the time at hand to try for a second

interview which would take a couple of weeks at best, perhaps only days because once the petition is returned that is it.

Please do not discourage the senatorial inquiry as a waste of time. It is not. It is an effort however small, to get an approval.

There is nothing to lose by trying.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

when answering those I believe I was answering someone and also I do blame myself for not being there as I know there is more that could of been done. what ever Happens now is in God's hand. if we get the second interview we have a surprise we just found out that may help clarify all this. and if not then We will due the wedding in Haiti and file and the surprise will be Crying in there ears by the time the next interview comes. funny how just the other day someone asked me a question about that in this thread and I said we are not ready. anyways it's hard and sucks but I can only move forward. still waiting on senators response. thanks everyone for there advise. God bless and I will keep you posted

Please do not discourage the senatorial inquiry as a waste of time. It is not. It is an effort however small, to get an approval.

There is nothing to lose by trying.

Sorry, but I'm as entitled to express my opinion as you are to disagree with it. If the inquiry was to find out, for example, the reason for the refusal -- fine, you would likely get some new information. As I indicated, this is my opinion -- a request for a second interview coming from a senator is highly unlikely to have any impact what-so-ever. Especially since, it is highly likely that if the case has not already left the Embassy and is en route back to NVC, it would be by the time the senator is contacted and they then contact the Embassy. And, actually, there is something to be lost -- time waiting for a response.

Again -- this is my opinion, which is at least as valid as anyone else's on the forum. I just wanted to encourage the OP to focus on activities more likely to generate results as quickly as possible -- sounds like she really needs to do that based on her most recent post. I wish her the best of luck.

Edited by jan22

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Activities to generate results as quickly as possible may be your opinion but she will not hop on a plane tomorrow to race over there to marry. While she is making plans for that she can certainly multitask and try a senatorial inquiry. Unless you have a crystal ball to predict the future and outcome I emphasize that it is not a waste of time and perfectly sensible. OP has been adviced that the next few days are crucial to get it done before the case goes back. A few days of trying is the best thing to do for now. It would be quite silly not to and waste this opportunity as small a chance as it may be. As I said it has worked before in a few other cases and if some still were not approved they gained more insight into how to put a quality petition together addressing the flags. That trumps any mad rush to re file.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.