alex88

Permanent address & DS-260

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

i want to put in my friend's address and use it for now to get the green card (and to be able to fill up the form). he lives in a different state from where i would want to live. so does it sound okay to do this? or will i get caught in the interview or at immigration if i suddenly show up at another state's airport?

You have decided that you will live in USA then why do not put that address ???

Do you understand this is a diversity visa forum? It works very differently from the other visas. You do not need a sponsor. In particular, most people start preparing 6-18 months before they even get their visa. Would you know an address 18 months in advance in such a circumstance?

i want to put in my friend's address and use it for now to get the green card (and to be able to fill up the form). he lives in a different state from where i would want to live. so does it sound okay to do this? or will i get caught in the interview or at immigration if i suddenly show up at another state's airport?

It's fine, once you have an immigrant visa you can enter the US at any point of entry you like. Once your visa is stamped you immediately become a lawful permanent resident, which gives you the right to live anywhere you want. It won't get you into trouble at all. They understand people change their mind. We had put NYC as POE but actually ended up entering at SFO... No problem whatsoever, even though our green card mailing address remained NYC.

Just be aware that once you are in the US you need to keep USCIS apprised of change of address until you become a citizen.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

It's fine, once you have an immigrant visa you can enter the US at any point of entry you like. Once your visa is stamped you immediately become a lawful permanent resident, which gives you the right to live anywhere you want. It won't get you into trouble at all. They understand people change their mind. We had put NYC as POE but actually ended up entering at SFO... No problem whatsoever, even though our green card mailing address remained NYC.

Just be aware that once you are in the US you need to keep USCIS apprised of change of address until you become a citizen.

excellent. but the form asks to provide the person's info like phone and address who i would want to live with when i enter the us. so does this mean i would be required to get letters or proof of some sort from my friend saying he will be staying here... blah blah blah. and will the embassy make enquiry with the person in us? im asking this because if the embassy or kcc are going to call these people then i might want to give my relative's name instead of my friend's. i would trust them more i guess. but i dont really want to let my relatives know im coming... i havent really talked to these people in years and i suddenly give a phone call saying i need to use ur address. they probably dont even know i exist

I really doubt they call people... With the paper forms this was an optional question (only the GC mailing address was mandatory), I can't see that they will suddenly decide they need to check all these addresses when last year it didn't even have to be filled in. Or just put a hotel.

understood. i overthink sometimes.

Don't worry, we all understand how stressful it is! I think it's only once you've been through it that you finally realise they WANT to hand these visas out - they are not "looking" for reasons to deny. Obviously if there is a major problem they will disqualify you, but they are not looking for trivial reasons to deny people.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.