alex88

Permanent address & DS-260

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

Don't worry, we all understand how stressful it is! I think it's only once you've been through it that you finally realise they WANT to hand these visas out - they are not "looking" for reasons to deny. Obviously if there is a major problem they will disqualify you, but they are not looking for trivial reasons to deny people.

yep it is kind of stressful. im thinking of leaving sweden early instead of extending my visa because if i stay here for a year then i will be required to get a police certificate for the us embassy interview. and getting a police report here is a very complicated since i am a student and not registered here. there are so many things to consider. feels like im choosing one over another. btw this may be slightly off topic but if i am applying for any new schengen visa or schengen visa extention, then will it cause any problems with the dv process? will they be conflicting with eachtother?

Filed: Other Country: Italy
Timeline

I think it's only once you've been through it that you finally realise they WANT to hand these visas out - they are not "looking" for reasons to deny. Obviously if there is a major problem they will disqualify you, but they are not looking for trivial reasons to deny people.

That's why they reply to questions like "Go read the website"? :)

yep it is kind of stressful. im thinking of leaving sweden early instead of extending my visa because if i stay here for a year then i will be required to get a police certificate for the us embassy interview. and getting a police report here is a very complicated since i am a student and not registered here. there are so many things to consider. feels like im choosing one over another. btw this may be slightly off topic but if i am applying for any new schengen visa or schengen visa extention, then will it cause any problems with the dv process? will they be conflicting with eachtother?

No, you can apply for any other tourist visa. The only conflict might arise if you are trying to get permanent residency somewhere else too at the same time!

That's why they reply to questions like "Go read the website"? :)

Quite frankly, if 80% of the questions they are asked are like 80% of the questions here, then the answers probably are on the website... And in any case the website is very clear about questions on things that will invalidate or disqualify your application. Remember KCC just process the forms (and do preliminary background checks), they do not make any decisions on who can or can't get a visa - that is the sole discretion of the consulate.

Timeline

No, you can apply for any other tourist visa. The only conflict might arise if you are trying to get permanent residency somewhere else too at the same time!

okay. thats an eye opener. are you sure its just permanent residency (do you have the link anywhere for this)? because i can still apply for a swedish residence permit... which usually lasts for one or two years based on living with my girlfriend (swedish). will doing this hamper my chances of getting a green card?

okay. thats an eye opener. are you sure its just permanent residency (do you have the link anywhere for this)? because i can still apply for a swedish residence permit... which usually lasts for one or two years based on living with my girlfriend (swedish). will doing this hamper my chances of getting a green card?

Well, where do you plan to live? Does Sweden have actual residency requirements? The US does. If you apply for permanent residence in another country while you have your green card it is pretty much dead certain you will be deemed to have abandoned residence in the US, which means you would lose your green card. How do you plan to convince an immigration judge you have not abandoned residence if you have actually applied for residence elsewhere??

Timeline

Well, where do you plan to live? Does Sweden have actual residency requirements? The US does. If you apply for permanent residence in another country while you have your green card it is pretty much dead certain you will be deemed to have abandoned residence in the US, which means you would lose your green card. How do you plan to convince an immigration judge you have not abandoned residence if you have actually applied for residence elsewhere??

holy #######. will the us embassy know that i have applied for residence elsewhere? its not a permanent residency. its just a 2 years residence permit. its called a sambo visa here. "living together visa" literally. is it okay if i pull out of this sambo visa and then explain to the person at the interview that i pulled out because i wanted to move to usa instead? real worried now

holy #######. will the us embassy know that i have applied for residence elsewhere? its not a permanent residency. its just a 2 years residence permit. its called a sambo visa here. "living together visa" literally. is it okay if i pull out of this sambo visa and then explain to the person at the interview that i pulled out because i wanted to move to usa instead? real worried now

If you have that first and then apply for DV - and it is only a temporary residence permit anyway - that should be ok (I thought you meant you were applying for permanent residence in Sweden as well) - be sure to maintain your residency properly in the US once you have your green card though. I don't know in how much detail they examine your passport after you leave it with them, or what they pick up on background checks - I imagine they have a fairly friendly relationship with the Swedish authorities so they may well pick it up.

Timeline

If you have that first and then apply for DV - and it is only a temporary residence permit anyway - that should be ok (I thought you meant you were applying for permanent residence in Sweden as well) - be sure to maintain your residency properly in the US once you have your green card though. I don't know in how much detail they examine your passport after you leave it with them, or what they pick up on background checks - I imagine they have a fairly friendly relationship with the Swedish authorities so they may well pick it up.

thanks for the info. do you have any official link to the page where it says i cant apply for usa green card and permanent residency in other countries at the same time?

There's a longer doc on maintaining residency that I don't have time to look for right how.

Here is a brief page. I would imagine taking permanent residence elsewhere would be seen as prima facie evidence of contravening the first item they cite. You would always have the opportunity to explain your case before an immigration judge before being stripped of your green card though.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Timeline

There's a longer doc on maintaining residency that I don't have time to look for right how.

Here is a brief page. I would imagine taking permanent residence elsewhere would be seen as prima facie evidence of contravening the first item they cite. You would always have the opportunity to explain your case before an immigration judge before being stripped of your green card though.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

okay so here's the low down. when i had first filled up the dv lottery form back in october 2013, i hadnt applied for the residence permit with my girlfriend. i did that on Feb of 2014. And on May 1st 2014, i found out i had been randomly selected for further processing. long story short, i had already applied for a residence permit in sweden to move in with my girlfriend before i knew i would be selected. So at the interview in US embassy, might they ask something like "why do you want to move to usa when you have already applied to live with your girlfriend in Sweden?". My case here is still pending and is in process (may take upto 2 or 3 months more). So do the cases contradict eachother? and if i really really want to go to usa, should i cancel my swedish visa application? i have a good number AS3XXX, i am qualified. so i dont really want this to be the only reason to rob me of my chances.

okay so here's the low down. when i had first filled up the dv lottery form back in october 2013, i hadnt applied for the residence permit with my girlfriend. i did that on Feb of 2014. And on May 1st 2014, i found out i had been randomly selected for further processing. long story short, i had already applied for a residence permit in sweden to move in with my girlfriend before i knew i would be selected. So at the interview in US embassy, might they ask something like "why do you want to move to usa when you have already applied to live with your girlfriend in Sweden?". My case here is still pending and is in process (may take upto 2 or 3 months more). So do the cases contradict eachother? and if i really really want to go to usa, should i cancel my swedish visa application? i have a good number AS3XXX, i am qualified. so i dont really want this to be the only reason to rob me of my chances.

No, don't cancel anything now, because anything could happen. If it comes up at the interview, just explain that you did this before you were selected and you prefer to go to the US. I repeat, from what you said originally I understood differently - I thought you were going to apply for Swedish permanent residency after you got your US immigrant visa or green card. I do think that sequence of events would be a problem, but I don't think your current one is.

Timeline

No, don't cancel anything now, because anything could happen. If it comes up at the interview, just explain that you did this before you were selected and you prefer to go to the US. I repeat, from what you said originally I understood differently - I thought you were going to apply for Swedish permanent residency after you got your US immigrant visa or green card. I do think that sequence of events would be a problem, but I don't think your current one is.

okay but when i submit the DS 260 form, i am applying for a green card right? so if i continue with my persuit of residence permit here, wont it be a problem applying for green card for america and residence permit for another country at the same time? i know people have been rejected in the past at interviews because they had ongoing visa application processes at other countries' embassies.

okay but when i submit the DS 260 form, i am applying for a green card right? so if i continue with my persuit of residence permit here, wont it be a problem applying for green card for america and residence permit for another country at the same time? i know people have been rejected in the past at interviews because they had ongoing visa application processes at other countries' embassies.

A normal visitors visa shouldn't be a problem. I cannot figure out from what you've said if this Swedish thing is an application for permanent or temporary residence. So I will say once more what I have been saying all along... If it is permanent residence yes it will be a problem. If it is temporary residence, that you will have to leave Sweden after a certain time period, it isn't a problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.