Sheffyeld

Question about Visa for fiance/wife

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone. I got a question about fiance/wife visa.

I have the green card (September 25th, I'll apply for naturalization). I have been together with my girlfriend for a while, but we decided It's better she come to US.

What I should do?

Apply for Naturalization + marry her (in Brazil) then apply for Wife Visa? or Marry first + apply for naturalization?

Apply for Fiance Visa?

What is the better choice? I'm just concern about the process time. The fastest one will be better for me(more than 4 years talking in skype. I go to Brazil every year, but It's not enough =/ )

Thanks Everyone

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

you can file for her as a wife before you get naturalized, after you get citizenship you update your application...

I love you Charles forever!!

! dveMm6.png

N-400 Waiting to be schedule for Oath Ceremony 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For Canada I we went Fiance as it allowed me to work sooner, my friend she married a texas and married in Canada went K-3 took about a year to work, she did travel to the us while in between paperwork.

So thats what we based our decision on, I think both same price, also after the fact the K-1 was better for us Because Vancovuer Office does K-1 interview K-3 is only montreal so that would of added another $1500 to the costs boo

Vancouver Canada to San Diego [Rancho Bernardo to be exact]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I honestly don't know if you can start the visa process before getting citizenship, like it was suggested above. What I do know is that a K1 is faster than a CR1, so if you just want her to move to the US asap, that's your best option. Good luck!

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Timeline

Hi everyone. I got a question about fiance/wife visa.

I have the green card (September 25th, I'll apply for naturalization). I have been together with my girlfriend for a while, but we decided It's better she come to US.

What I should do?

Apply for Naturalization + marry her (in Brazil) then apply for Wife Visa? or Marry first + apply for naturalization?

Apply for Fiance Visa?

What is the better choice? I'm just concern about the process time. The fastest one will be better for me(more than 4 years talking in skype. I go to Brazil every year, but It's not enough =/ )

Thanks Everyone

Read this thread right here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/295980-lpr-applying-for-spouse/

I hope that helps!

Filed: Timeline

LPRs cannot petition for a fiancée, only a spouse. So, either wait until you naturalize and then file for fiancée visa or marry her now and file for a spouse visa. You would have all the time between now and naturalization for the petition to be approved -- and after you naturalize it would convert from an F2A to a IR/CR1, which makes it immediately available. I suspect marrying now and filing immediately for the F2A will be the fastest, especially if you naturalize as you indicate.

Timeline

It would be even faster if you waited until you became a citizen on Sept 25th and filed for her as a fiance on a K-1 visa. K-1 is a much faster process than CR-1 / IR-1 for whatever reason. Then when she comes here, you have 90 days to marry and adjust status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.