HazelEyedHippie

Should they really "just wait?"

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello!

My cousin married a US citizen (she's still overseas), and just had her i-130 approved. That was on 4/17, as stated on the check-your-status webpage. On 4/23, her approved case was sent to the Dept. of State for visa processing. Her husband states in the letter that he received (NOA?), it says to wait 30 days for the papers (packet?) to be sent to him, and if he has not heard anything by 30 days, to contact them.

My confusion/question is this: I've been reading for weeks on this site and others how people eagerly wait to be able to call the NVC and get their new case number so they can pay the fees online/fill out the required forms to quicken the process. Is this something that the government itself doesn't tell people to do, but people basically do anyway? I mean.. I told him about it, and he just brushed it off.. said his lawyer told him to just wait the 30 days as well (although he didn't use a lawyer for this case, he's using him for something else now). I haven't actually seen the letter, just curious if this sounds like what everyone else gets.

Thanks a bunch!!
Edited by HazelEyedHippie

Rare these days does the NVC get the package and assign a case number within 30 days. If they choose they can wait the 30 days then contact the NVC. But that is the standard USCIS NOA2.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I would call end of this week and ask for a NVC case number. If not available yet, call again mid-late next week. And if not yet, call the following week.

They can wait as instructed per the letters but it will take longer. They can cut down the wait time a little by being proactive. Proactive does not mean calling daily (or twice dail) like an OCD patient. :rofl:

Edited by Eric-Pris

I would wait at least two weeks from approval date to call to see if they have recieved the case then call every other or every 3 days. After they recieve it call every other day until case number. But from the NVC filers thread it takes from 2-8 weeks for them to get the case and another 1-4 to get the number. Calling more often doesn't speed them up, you just may find out a day or two sooner, or you may just get angry.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would wait at least two weeks from approval date to call to see if they have recieved the case then call every other or every 3 days. After they recieve it call every other day until case number. But from the NVC filers thread it takes from 2-8 weeks for them to get the case and another 1-4 to get the number. Calling more often doesn't speed them up, you just may find out a day or two sooner, or you may just get angry.

Exaclty

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Oh, okay.. but many people are choosing to contact the NVC before the 30 days by telephone, yes? To speed things up?

Calling early will not speed things up. You'll just make more calls. You can't actually pay any fee or send any documents until NVC get around to assigning a case number and invoicing the first fee. Use this time to get ready. Call as soon as you like, but don't expect your early call to speed anything up.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

If you completed the G-1145 when you filed the I-130, then NVC will send you an e-mail when the AOS AOS has been invoiced (which is about a week after the case number is generated). So really, don't need to call. If you didn't complete that and NVC does not have your e-mail, then you should probably call.

I completed the G-1145 and I got an e-mail as soon as the AOS was ready (I already had my case # because I called, but the AOS wasn't ready until I got that e-mail, so there's no delay, really).

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I've got to admit I love the idea that calling them works like some kind of prod to speed the staff up :lol: if only it was like that for real

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

We called NVC once a week a week after the documents were shipped. We got information the case was received on April 7th, but it took until May 6th to get the case number assigned and we found that our when we called again on May 7th.

So, yeah, with the way NVC is going now, I'd say they should wait. They can call every now and then, but no point in calling every day until 30 days expire I think.

Good luck to them!

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

If you completed the G-1145 when you filed the I-130, then NVC will send you an e-mail when the AOS AOS has been invoiced (which is about a week after the case number is generated). So really, don't need to call. If you didn't complete that and NVC does not have your e-mail, then you should probably call.

I completed the G-1145 and I got an e-mail as soon as the AOS was ready (I already had my case # because I called, but the AOS wasn't ready until I got that e-mail, so there's no delay, really).

Not necessarily true!

We completed the G1145, AND signed up for email case updates, but when our file got to NVC and I called to get the Case # and IIN, they said they had no email on file for either of us.

I was able to give the NVC agent our emails and now it seems we're getting emails.

But don't assume that your email is on file just because it ought to be.

I think OP should advise his/her cousin to call and find out when the case was received, then about a month after that to get Case# and IIN, and to check and make sure that the email address(es) are on file.

Edited by nightingalejules

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Not necessarily true!

We completed the G1145, AND signed up for email case updates, but when our file got to NVC and I called to get the Case # and IIN, they said they had no email on file for either of us.

I was able to give the NVC agent our emails and now it seems we're getting emails.

But don't assume that your email is on file just because it ought to be.

I think OP should advise his/her cousin to call and find out when the case was received, then about a month after that to get Case# and IIN, and to check and make sure that the email address(es) are on file.

Are you serious?! Unreal, but good to know!!!

5/21/2016: Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

5/23/2016: NOA1

7/29/2016: Biometrics Appointment

11/22/2016: I-751 Approved!

oprahbees.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I was wondering if anyone had same problem as mine, I received my case and invoice numbers today and it says it is now eligible for further processing; but when I log in online on NVC website, it says this case is not eligible for further processing.

Please help! Thanks!

Form I-130
9/9/2013: Married

10/21/2013: APPLICATION SENT

10/23/2013: NOA1

4/1/2014: NOA2

8/14/2014: Case Complete

10/20/2014: POE EXACT A YEAR!

Form I-751: Remove the Conditions on Residence

7/27/2016: Application Sent

8/1/2016: NOA1 - CSC 

10/18/2016: Biometrics

12/1/2017: Received RFE

12/7/2017: additional evidence sent and delivered 

2/2/2018: Green card mailed! Status changed! 

Finger Crossed! 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Ignore the website and respond to the email by paying the first fee. You've been studying the NVC Wiki and are ready for all the next steps, right?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.