everandel

ESL Classes

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Has Anyone had experience with taking ESL classes within a few weeks of arriving to the US?

My fiance wants to take classes soon, but I'm unsure if is able to. She just got here recently and the semester classes start soon.

07/28/2006 -- Mailed I129f Petition

07/31/2006 -- NOA 1 Received Date

08/12/2006 -- NOA 1 Notice Date

08/17/2006 -- Touched

09/21/2006 -- Touched

10/02/2006 -- Touched

10/03/2006 -- RFE sent from CSC (Beneficiary's birth certificate)

10/04/2006 -- Touched

10/09/2006 -- Received RFE in the mail

10/10/2006 -- Sent reponse to RFE

10/16/2006 -- RFE acknowledged at CSC

10/18/2006 -- NOA2 - APPROVED!!

10/19/2006 -- Touched

10/25/2006 -- Received NOA2 snail mail

10/26/2006 -- Petition received at NVC

11/06/2006 -- Petition sent off to embassy

11/17/2006 -- Embassy receives petition

11/17/2006 -- Packet 3 sent from Embassy

11/21/2006 -- Packet 3 sent back

11/22/2006 -- Recieved packet 4

12/11/2006 -- INTERVIEW

12/13/2006 -- Embassy calls asking for document stating that fiance is not married. (Second curve ball they throw at us)

12/14/2006 -- Document sent to embassy

12/26/2006 -- K-1 Visa issued!!!!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukrai_2faws.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Has Anyone had experience with taking ESL classes within a few weeks of arriving to the US?

My fiance wants to take classes soon, but I'm unsure if is able to. She just got here recently and the semester classes start soon.

The best thing you an do is keep her busy so she does not get bored.... ESL would be a good thing.....

YMMV

Definitely start the classes as soon as you can. Sometimes there may be rules regarding advance enrollment dates, length of residence for in-state tuition discounts, etc., but those things are going to vary depending on who is sponsoring the classes. Just contact the enrollment office and see what needs to be done. If it's too late for this semester at the first place you call, ask them if there are other agencies in the area that might offer anything. ESL classes are often taught by community colleges, high school adult education districts, churches, and various other community agencies.

ESL classes help not only in the obvious English learning, which is essential to integrate into the culture, find a job, etc., but they also provide some social interaction outside of the house, some boredom relief, and can help in adjusting to the culture shock of moving.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

I am not sure what part of California you fiancee will be, but most 2 year colleges have an ESL program, also you can check your city adult education program, they have esl courses also. Good luck

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hello,

my fiance just arrived here alost 2 weeks ago and he began ESL classes the second week of being here. he is doing good so far and has met some other individuals going throug the same thing with mastering the english language. the classes are free and through our local district adult education program. the classes are open enrollment so they began on 1/3 but he didnt go until 1/16 and he can go anytime during the class or miss days. highly recommed these classes...very good and loving the free thing..heheheh!!

melinda

3/17/07 - WEDDING CEREMONY

4/2/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

4/3/07 - Chicago Received AOS/EAD

4/13/07 - Checks cashed

4/16/07 - Received NOA1 for AOS/EAD

4/21/07 - Received appointment for bimetrics

5/15/07 - Biometrics appt

5/16/07 - EAD Touched

5/16/07 - AOS Touched

6/15/07 - EAD approved

6/26/07 - Received EAD

6/28/07 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FILE TO REMOVE CONDITIONS: 3/28/09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's good to hear that the ESL classes are working out well for many. My fiance and I have just arrived in the U.S. last week and have been inquiring about the ESL class at the local college here. It's great that it is free!

I been having a problem about the social security number though. The lady on the phone at the college insists that my fiance needs a social security number to register in the class. We went to the social security office today and they told me that this should not be the case. Also, my fiance's name wasn't in the system yet because it's only been a week since we arrived. The class starts in two weeks and she wants to get in ASAP. I won't be able to get her a SSN number in time. She will not even be working! That's what a SSN is for, right?

What does the social security number have to do with the ESL class? Has anyone encountered this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You do not need a SSN. My fiancee does not have one. The school should just assign a different number. I would contact a higher manager if they continue to tell you this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

A lady who heads the ESL program at the community college here has explained to me that the government grant that funds the program explicitly asks for SSN's of the students. She said that this is because the program is set up to prepare students for employment and later successful employment can be tracked by the SSN. I'm sure this breaks a few privacy laws and it is a mis-use of SSN's. Fortunately, the lady said my fiance can enroll and I can show the SSN when it arrives (She has two weeks from the start of the class, about a month from now total). Otherwise, my fiance would have been excluded on this basis. SSN's should not be used in this way.

You do not need a SSN. My fiancee does not have one. The school should just assign a different number. I would contact a higher manager if they continue to tell you this.

Rodney,

I have seen some websites where colleges say they will simply assign a different number, as you suggested. I believe this is in cases where there are using your SSN as your ID number, as many places do and which I think should be illegal. This college is saying that it is a requirement of the specific program. Thanks for your suggestion.

Hassan got here in mid December and is taking ESL classes now, he really likes it, plus it gives him a chance to get out by himself.

Michaela

Jun 26, 06 - 129-F filed

Sep 27, 06 - NOA2

Nov 28, 06 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS!!!

Dec 12, 06 - VISA IN HAND

Dec 29, 06 - MARRIED!!

Jan 8, 07 - filed for AOS and EAD

Apr 3, 07 - EAD approved!!!

Apr 7, 07 - EAD card arrived!

May 10, 07 - Interview....APPROVED!!!

May 23, 07 - GC in hand

Feb 10, 09 - I-751 sent to CSC

Feb 12, 09 - NOA1

Apr 20, 09 - Approved!

Jun 12, 09 - Card Production Ordered

Jun 19, 09 - 10 year GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

A lot of Technical colleges or community colleges have grants that allow them to offer the programs free. If you are looking at 4 year universities they often do charge. I would look in the phone book and call any and all local community and technical colleges and ask what they offer for ESL courses.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I guess your area is doing it differently. The lady here also wanted the SSN and also mentioned the government grants. She then offered to just assign here a number and let her enroll in the classes. The only things she had to do from there was a placement test to determine her level of English skills.

For the person looking for the classes. You need to look at the community or technical colleges. Don't look at the universities.

Good luck to all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.