Martobain

Possible update needed for AOS guide

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey guys.

I didn't see a post about this on this part of the forums, so I thought I'd start a new thread on it.

I filed my AOS application today, and I had some trouble understanding the payment method. The part on VJ that explains it, explains very well what is supposed to be written on the cheques, and what kind of payments you can use etc. However, it does not eleborate on where to send the cheque. It might make a lot of sense for most people alive right now how the cheque system works, but it's becoming more of a thing of the past. I'm 23 years old and I never sent anyone or anything a cheque before, so I wasn't sure where to send it or how it worked. After calling the USCIS customer service number, they told me to just put the cheque in the same envelope as the application. Simple solution!

Perhaps it's an idea to put this part on the http://www.visajourney.com/content/paying-immigration-fees page aswell? Just an idea to make the VJ guides even more helpful!

Hey guys.

I didn't see a post about this on this part of the forums, so I thought I'd start a new thread on it.

I filed my AOS application today, and I had some trouble understanding the payment method. The part on VJ that explains it, explains very well what is supposed to be written on the cheques, and what kind of payments you can use etc. However, it does not eleborate on where to send the cheque. It might make a lot of sense for most people alive right now how the cheque system works, but it's becoming more of a thing of the past. I'm 23 years old and I never sent anyone or anything a cheque before, so I wasn't sure where to send it or how it worked. After calling the USCIS customer service number, they told me to just put the cheque in the same envelope as the application. Simple solution!

Perhaps it's an idea to put this part on the http://www.visajourney.com/content/paying-immigration-fees page aswell? Just an idea to make the VJ guides even more helpful!

I have assembled my AOS package based from the checklist here in VJ guides, and it worked for me. No difference for including the check as when your then-fiance filed for your I-129f, yes?

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Hey guys.

You better get used to the antiquated banking system in the US, it's miles behind UK/Europe.

The check gets sent to the same place you send your AOS application. You just paperclip your check to the top of your AOS papers and mail them just the same as you did the I-129F.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Marto, in your previous thread you realized that your wife did in fact pay for the I-129F petition by check, even though at first you insisted you had paid for everything from your foreign bank account, which was wrong. Why isn't your wife helping you?

People use checks in the US, more and more infrequently, but any USC should be able to step in and help their immigrant spouse with writing a check. A money order option is also available.

The instructions say "include a check" which is all you need to know, really...

I think the issue here is that your wife is not helping you. Obviously she knows how to write a check because she did it before.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not sure why you feel the AOS guide needs to be updated. I am not sure what it needs to say, other than include your payment(check or money order), and it does that already and beyond even.

From the guide > http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted. Read the Guide to Paying USCIS Immigration Fees. Be sure to include the payment for both the I-485 and the biometrics fee*.

>> The fee for I-485 applications includes the cost of the I-131 and I-765 (no need to pay for them if filed with or while your I-485 application is pending adjudication).

The page you linked to tells step by step how to fill out the check for the USCIS. http://www.visajourney.com/content/paying-immigration-fees

The I-485 form instructions also list details about your payment >

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Use the following guidelines when you prepare your check or

money order for the Form I-485 filing and biometrics services fee:

1. The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or
other financial institution located in the United States and
must be payable in U.S. currency; and

2. Make the check or money order payable to U.S.
Department of Homeland Security.

NOTE: Spell out U.S. Department of Homeland
Security; do not use the initials "USDHS" or "DHS."

NOTE: You may file Form I-765, Application for
Employment Authorization, and/or a Form I-131, Application
for Travel Document, without fee, if you file Form I-485 and
you pay its required fee. You may file these forms together.
If you choose to file Form I-765 and/or Form I-131 separately,
you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action,
receipt as evidence of filing and paying for Form I-485.

Notice to Those Making Payment by Check.

You will not receive your original check back. We will
destroy your original check, but we will keep a copy of it. If
the EFT cannot be processed for technical reasons, you
authorize us to process the copy in place of your original
check. If the EFT cannot be completed because of insufficient
funds, we may try to make the transfer up to two times.

If you send us a check, it will be converted into an electronic
funds transfer (EFT). This means we will copy your check and
use the account information on it to electronically debit your
account for the amount of the check. The debit from your
account will usually take 24 hours and will be shown on your
regular account statement.

As suggested, I think you need to ask your USC spouse about writing checks in the US. Or look up a guide about how checks work, if that is the part that you do not know. The AOS guide is to tell you how to file for AOS, not how to learn to use a check. You can Google and find info about how checks work, how it works to convert the check to electronic funding(like the USCIS does), how to write them, and so on.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thanks for the critisism, I suppose? Good to see every forum has trolls.

Anyway, when we filed the I-129F, my mother in law wrote the check after I sent the money from my dutch account. My post wasn't to critisize anything that the guide says, I personally think it's a great guide. I was just suggesting that it would also mention where to send the check. I don't see how that is such a source of mocking posts, I was just posting a suggestion on how to improve the guide. For me, the guide is to take away some of the stress that comes with filing immigration stuff, and if it could take away even more stress, how is that a bad thing?

And don't worry, you guys. My wife is being very helpful in trying to figure out how to do all of this stuff. I don't take shame into not knowing how to process a check, seeing as it's not something that is being used on a regular basis anymore. Now I'm waiting in anticipation of my greencard!

I write checks every month. You do not know the limits of your own knowledge, and have professed that you know all in the world, based on the unique experiences of your own life. Different countries do different things; time to learn that.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the critisism, I suppose? Good to see every forum has trolls.

Anyway, when we filed the I-129F, my mother in law wrote the check after I sent the money from my dutch account. My post wasn't to critisize anything that the guide says, I personally think it's a great guide. I was just suggesting that it would also mention where to send the check. I don't see how that is such a source of mocking posts, I was just posting a suggestion on how to improve the guide. For me, the guide is to take away some of the stress that comes with filing immigration stuff, and if it could take away even more stress, how is that a bad thing?

And don't worry, you guys. My wife is being very helpful in trying to figure out how to do all of this stuff. I don't take shame into not knowing how to process a check, seeing as it's not something that is being used on a regular basis anymore. Now I'm waiting in anticipation of my greencard!

For my part, there was no mockery involved. I was merely pointing out that it already states to include payment, so I think that is enough to say. If payment needed to be mailed to a separate address and not included with the form itself, then the form instructions would state so.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.