so tired of the south

228 posts in this topic

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
i could never live more than 10 miles from a beach.

I am, after all, tanorexic.

We've got the great lakes......

12/5/05 Sent I129F Petition to Nebraska via Express Mail

12/6/05 Packaged received at 10:38 am in Nebraska

12/9/05 Check cashed (Never been so happy to have money leave my account)

12/12/05 Receive NOA1 snail mail - 30-60 day processing estimate

01/04/06 Receive NOA2 via e-mail

1/20/06 NVC letter in mail...will ship within a week.

2/1/06 Packet 3 and 4 in the mail

3/15/06 Interview - neither approved nor declined need to send in Migratory Movement Certificate AP

3/20/06 Migratory Movement Certificate for myself and fiancee sent to US Embassy in Lima

3/23/06 Visa Approved

5/19/06 I leave for Peru to pick up mi amor

5/25/06 Lucia and I arrive in Chicago

7/01/06 Legal Marriage

9/09/06 Religious Wedding

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

hehe true.

I have often thought about moving - but after my two years in NYC - not to the north....

midwest i could do probably.

really i just want to move to australia

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Lived here (the South) my entire life and I love it :)

Although, where I live isn't a "typical" southern town, we're full of Engineers and Rocket Scientists, so things are a bit different from the more rural areas.

And it has been my experience (and from what I've heard from Northerners) that racism is bad across the country, it isn't only Southern.

Edited by James_and_Miranda

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: Timeline

Although, where I live isn't a "typical" southern town, we're full of Engineers and Rocket Scientists, so things are a bit different from the more rural areas.

And it has been my experience (and from what I've heard from Northerners) that racism is bad across the country, it isn't only Southern.

My personal experiences tell me that the race experience is very different in the South. More annoying stares, more stupid questions. Up North, racism comes in the form of calls to employers that don't get answered, smarta$$ remarks. People don't stare as much up here though, which I like. In some places down South it feels like they've never seen a brown man before except on CNN's special terrorism report :)

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

My personal experiences tell me that the race experience is very different in the South. More annoying stares, more stupid questions. Up North, racism comes in the form of calls to employers that don't get answered, smarta$$ remarks. People don't stare as much up here though, which I like. In some places down South it feels like they've never seen a brown man before except on CNN's special terrorism report :)

exactly. nizzar often says (like when we're walking through the mall) "people stare at you a LOT... probably because of me" (and then i say that i don't care and give him a big kiss in front of everyone)

i'm as white as ..... cotton ;)

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Im in the south with a brown boy and we dont get any negative reactions. Im happy here.

same here :thumbs:

It really depends on where in the south one is. I'm in Florida and I am hardly ever around true southerners, most people around here are from up north originally! Sujeet and I have not experienced negative reactions around here. Though if we drove inland to a little town, it might be a different story. When Sujeet and I went to Tennessee last summer, it was like we had to drive north in order to enter the south...Florida is really different than Georgia, Tennessee, etc.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

That's also what my husband told me, he was born in Mississippi and his mom is from Louisiana. He said that he would never take me to the "south" especially to the small towns there because people will be so rude to us and probably even hurt us. I don't know if he is just exaggerating there or what, but that doesn't sound fun at all !

So far we are happy in midwest now, I always love east coast though. Maybe move to MA someday ?? :P

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I was born and raised in the midwest. (near st. louis). I've lived all over this country (California, Virginia, Connecticut, Georgia) and still I come back home to here every time. There's nothing quite like the midwest... it's the best.

HOWEVER, my second favorite place I've lived is Georgia... the south is awesome!

Edited by faith

March 4, 2004 NOA 1

June 29, 2004 NOA 2

August 26th -- interview date - we need to complete a I-601 waiver so it's back to waiting again

January 6, 2005 i-601 waiver approved!!!!

January 21, 2005 VISA IN HAND

February 12, 2005 WEDDING!!!!!

March 10, 2005 mailed AOS and EAD applications to Chicago

April 18, 2005 EAD and AOS receipt dates for NOA

June 30, 2005 AOS RFE evidence submitted (translated birth certificate)

August 10, 2005 ---EAD approved via infopass appointment

October 18, 2005 - AOS interview in St. Louis - received an RFE for vaccination supplement

February 9, 2006 - denial for AOS letter due to the wrong form being submitted from the doctor. PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU!!

February 16, 2006 - USCIS accepts the motion to reopen without an additional fee - finally something goes right! We should hear from USCIS St. Louis office within 2 weeks.

April 3, 2006 - Received welcome to America letter in the mail!

April 8, 2006 - Received GC in the mail - done for 2 years!!!!

March 1, 2008 - mailed off I-751

March 3, 2008 NSC delivery confirmation

March 10, 2008 NOA 1

March 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

Legal Permanent Resident - just waiting for time to pass for him to have eligibility for citizenship.

When Sujeet and I went to Tennessee last summer, it was like we had to drive north in order to enter the south...Florida is really different than Georgia, Tennessee, etc.

Aren't you near Tampa? That's not really the south. The panhandle is more 'southern'. And TN, hell yea.. that be hillbilly country. Yee haw!

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

When Sujeet and I went to Tennessee last summer, it was like we had to drive north in order to enter the south...Florida is really different than Georgia, Tennessee, etc.

Aren't you near Tampa? That's not really the south. The panhandle is more 'southern'. And TN, hell yea.. that be hillbilly country. Yee haw!

Yep near Tampa, it's true the more north in Florida you go, the more southern it becomes! :lol:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

that's true! I live in Jacksonville, as far north as you can go - and you'ld think you were in georgia

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

I say end all of that madness now and move to the Midwest.

The midwest is the very definition of madness. I moved there from the south and, trust me, it didn't end any madness but got me right into the middle of it.

i could never live more than 10 miles from a beach.
We've got the great lakes......

Lakes don't have real beaches. If you think that a lake has a beach, then you haven't seen a real beach yet.